• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Ticket Design Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassocks5489

These are the ones I have seen so far:
  • Bedford or Bedford St Johns
  • Colchester or Colchester Town (*)
  • Dorchester South or West
  • East or West Croydon (*)
  • Edenbridge or Edenbridge Town (*)
  • Farnborough Main or North (*)
  • Folkestone Central or West
  • Hertford East or North (*)
  • Maidstone East, West or Barracks (*)
  • Penge East or West
  • Portsmouth&Southsea or Harbour
  • Reading or Reading West
  • Southend Central or Victoria (*)
  • Wakefield Westgate or Kirkgate
  • Worcester Shrub Hill or Foregate St (*)

For those marked (*), I have also seen examples with "XXXX Stations". In some cases, e.g. the Croydon group, some locations still print "XXXX Stations" and some use the new rendering.

On the Worcester group, I have seen a Cubic FasTIS with "Worcester Shrub Hill or Foregate St" on which the "St" completely replaces the first three characters of the date field - so the top line looks like this:

Worcester Shrub Hill or Foregate StJnr-16

Not very helpful! S&B tickets, in contrast, just print "Worcester Shrub Hill or Foregate" (sic).

For the Birmingham, Bradford, Canterbury, Dorking, Falkirk, Manchester, Newark, West Hampstead and Wigan station groups, I have only seen "XXXX Stations" so far. I'd be interested to see/have reports of any changes in those.

Another one to add to the list: I've just been notified of "Warrington Central or Bank Quay".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I have seen Wigan and Newark listed as separate stations rather than "Newark Stations", but I can't remember the exact wording.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I noticed that on a new format ticket to Portsmouth Stns it now prints out the destination in full "Portsmouth and Southsea OR Portsmouth Harbour".

Has any one seen a ticket where they have attempted to print the members of a large station fares group?

I just looked at my tickets from thursday and noticed that too although the wording on mine was Portsmouth&Southsea or Harbour

Personally I like the restrictions being clearer but the design of the tickets is awful.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I just looked at my tickets from thursday and noticed that too although the wording on mine was Portsmouth&Southsea or Harbour
So was mine, now that I got it out the bin and double checked :oops: but fortunately it doesn't affect the main point of my question!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is so much space on the tickets yet the IT solutions still cannot avoid over-printing vital information. Wonderful management of the project. :roll:

I must remember to ask our revenue guys what they think of the tickets with the date covered by the station on Monday. I can sense some expletives coming.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My parents recently traveled up to visit, and without prompting started a conversation about how their tickets were barely readable. They even asked a guard where it mentioned that theirs had a senior discount and he couldn't find it either !

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
My parents recently traveled up to visit, and without prompting started a conversation about how their tickets were barely readable. They even asked a guard where it mentioned that theirs had a senior discount and he couldn't find it either !

That's because some of the new tickets do not show that a railcard discount has been applied, when in fact it has.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There is so much space on the tickets yet the IT solutions still cannot avoid over-printing vital information. Wonderful management of the project. :roll:

I must remember to ask our revenue guys what they think of the tickets with the date covered by the station on Monday. I can sense some expletives coming.
Do report back what they said, expletives and all!

Hassocks5489

Do LOROL ticket machines now use this new format? I know most of their ticket offices do, just wanted to check ticket machines. What about Thameslink / Great Northern Machines in the London area?

TP

I was going to reply to say no to London Overground machines, but I've just seen one in the new layout today! Issued at New Cross Gate. I'm not sure on TL/GN.

DerekC

Established Member
Personally I like the restrictions being clearer but the design of the tickets is awful.

And that's an understatement! I thought the ticket machine was issuing temporary tickets. The new ones must be an RPO's nightmare - they will all need regular eye checks. Whose bright idea is this?

trainmania100

Established Member
I got a different ticket to what I usually get the other day
This one says coupon 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 in the corner of the orange band at the top and doesn't say route or validity on it like usual
It also says refundable and exchangeable for a fee

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I bought a walk-up last night from Liverpool St for a non-enthusiast, and it printed in the new style. He assumed it was a receipt and asked what I'd done with the real ticket!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I bought a walk-up last night from Liverpool St for a non-enthusiast, and it printed in the new style. He assumed it was a receipt and asked what I'd done with the real ticket!

I guess you can hardly blame him. Publicity on new style tickets is virtually non-existent.

Do report back what they said, expletives and all!

I would otherwise, however I do not use that kind of language. ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
From what I've seen FGW S&B machines (ones at most stations, which are coloured blue) print the new style (except for travelcards)

Ticket offices and fastTicket machines (old white ones found at former FGW intercity stations) print the old style

Cletus

Established Member
Dover Priory is printing the new style now.

Been getting some different ticket variations though.
eg
London Terminals - Kidderminster advance single with seat details on one ticket.
Dover Priory - Birmingham advance single with one reservation coupon on another ticket listing Dover-Ashford, Ashford-London & Euston-Birmingham separately.

Whereas tickets sent by post are still arriving old-style with numerous separate reservations.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
London Terminals - Kidderminster advance single with seat details on one ticket.
Dover Priory - Birmingham advance single with one reservation coupon on another ticket listing Dover-Ashford, Ashford-London & Euston-Birmingham separately.

I think that has been done intentionally - when there isn't room for all the reserved legs on a single ticket, they all go onto a second coupon. IIRC it was discovered a while back soon after the first new 'Advance' tickets appeared

Dent

Dover Priory is printing the new style now.

Been getting some different ticket variations though.
eg

Whereas tickets sent by post are still arriving old-style with numerous separate reservations.

I think putting all the reservations on a separate form if there was not enough room on one ticket was always part of the design.

dcsprior

What determines what ticket type you get?

On Thursday I collected split tickets which shared the same booking reference (bought 5th Jan on the VTEC website) from Kings Cross. This was from the machines between the information desk and the single reversible escalator to/from the underground - I think these are Great Northern machines rather than East Coast ones?
  • The £10 promotional fare from King's Cross to Berwick upon Tweed came out as an old-style ticket with seperate reservations.
  • The standard advance single from Berwick to Edinburgh came out as a new-style ticket with the reservation on the ticket itself

Haywain

Veteran Member
Those machines are operated by Great Northern. I believe that not all ticket types are set up to print in the new format, which may explain the promotional fare being in the old/traditional format.

Cletus

Established Member
Got some tickets through post today (from Southeastern) that were much clearer, presumably a better printer than in a TVM.

As well as the payment receipt, there was another ticket with my name and address on for some reason. Would make an usual calling card!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
As well as the payment receipt, there was another ticket with my name and address on for some reason. Would make an usual calling card!
I think that's supposed to show through the window of the envelope. I got one like that ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.