• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New ticket design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
About three years ago I got a green weekly season ticket from a machine on Great Northern with British Rail printed on it. Someone must have been clearing out a cupboard. I think the TVM was replaced for a new model after that

I've got a green weekly season issued in 2005 with "British Rail" on it - was quite impressed with that one, even then.

tickethound

I noticed on some tickets, the national rail symbol in the bottom left is white and others orange in a white circle. Just wondering if there's any difference - just different stationary stock at different stations, or does it depend on the type of journey or operator you bought the ticket from?

Deathbyteacup

Seen nothing but the new stock since about 3 weeks ago from Swinton (Manchester) and Manchester Victoria, from both ticket office and TVMs.

I've got a green weekly season issued in 2005 with "British Rail" on it - was quite impressed with that one, even then.

I'd be rather shocked but rather chuffed to get a ticket with British Rail on it after all these years!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Droitwich Spa is still using the old stock: when I collected my tickets to Honiton the other week, I never saw any of the new design.

TBY-Paul

When a ticket machine/office runs out of old stock, it will be replaced by new stock.

Just had a look at some tickets I picked up at Thornaby TVM:
June 23rd New tickets
July 1st Old tickets
July 5th New tickets
Not sure what they are using now.
I'm guessing someone found an old batch :D

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I have noticed a lot of places are using the old stock when they run out of new, I suppose they must be loads of blank old stock that must be used up. Both Chester and Capenhurst are back to old stock.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I went back to Newcastle today and got a mixture from the same TVM. Some were new and some were old. They were mixed up too so it looks like they've just been mixed together.

AndyLandy

Established Member
I hadn't even noticed this! Just looked at my last few sets of tickets from Southampton Central (03 Aug and 29 Jun) -- both are on the new stock. But my 1st class upgrade on the 29th Jun, purchased on-train is on the old style stock.

Eagle

Established Member
I went back to Newcastle today and got a mixture from the same TVM. Some were new and some were old. They were mixed up too so it looks like they've just been mixed together.

Probably because staff have been refilling the dispenser with whichever box of stock comes first to hand, so there are both types in the same dispenser.

I picked up a ticket with the new National Rail logo this morning. The text across it now says "National Rail" rather than "Rail Settlement Plan"

How long have these tickets been out? Sorry if this is old news.

Been around for around 4 months from what I've seen (I'm a Tribute engineer for Atos) Seen them alot at Liverpool Street and some other Greater Anglia stations... other TOC's are working thru older stock that still has "Rail Settlement Plan" on them ;)

Muzer

Established Member
A TVM at Andover (don't know which, my mum used it) now contains new stock.

marks87

Established Member
Seeing as this seems to be keeping track of where the new stock is, Dundee TVM now has it.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It would be interesting to discover where the last ever "old-style" common-stock ticket is issued, however I doubt this such thing is traceable.

TP

Muzer

Established Member
Eastleigh's TVM inside the booking hall has the new stock.

Also with the new stock is the Eastleigh ticket office.

Meanwhile, at the TVM at the rear (East) entrance to Southampton Airport (Parkway), as yet unmentioned stock seems to have appeared - it has the new logo, but a National Rail Enquiries advert instead of the endorsements box. I don't know what the labelling on ticket stock means, but it is labelled "RSP No. 9399/NRE/V6 3MAG 113 9 8 7 6 5 4 3". Similar stock was on the 23rd of August at Southampton Central (North entrance, I can't remember which TVM I used).

ModernRailways

Established Member
Newcastle is still using a mix. I've had some come out as the new style and some as the old. The latest ones were on old stock.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It would be interesting to discover where the last ever "old-style" common-stock ticket is issued, however I doubt this such thing is traceable.

TP

Wolves ticket office is still using old stock. Seems like they might have a lot of them to be cleared out.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The TVM at Droitwich Spa appears to have switched over although the ticket office is still using the old stuff.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Capenhurst is getting a mix now, I have used the TVM about maybe 7 times in the last two weeks and I've had about 4 old stock and 3 new stock.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Just got some tickets through from RedSpottedHanky. They're still using the old stock. I'd have thought the big online retailers would have been the first places to run out of the old cardstock...

Clip

Established Member
Just got some tickets through from RedSpottedHanky. They're still using the old stock. I'd have thought the big online retailers would have been the first places to run out of the old cardstock...

All depends if anyone told them they were going to change or not and they just ordered a sack load for some sort of extra bulk discount :D

We have a few stations that are using new stock now but some are being fed the old to get rid of the bloody things and we have a lot.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The old stock surely has to be used, and there must be loads of it all over the place? No doubt in years to come, someone will find another roll in the back of a cupboard and use it rather than chuck it (you'd hope).

The busy stations you might expect to change quicker may actually hold more stock to prevent running out (which would be a disaster) and therefore take even longer.

No doubt in years to come, someone will find another roll in the back of a cupboard and use it rather than chuck it (you'd hope).

Don't worry.. unless the stuff drastically changes again I doubt anyone will be paying enough attention to care whether it's new or old that goes in.

Cletus

Established Member
Received an advance ticket through the post from East Coast today with a design I haven't seen before.
On the left side there's a QR code, plus a slightly different layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.