• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Train Driver Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlionhart

I was thinking along the same lines myself but did not express it in quite so precise terms.

I think there was a test known as the rWCE, possibly devised by the OPC and maybe used by South West Trains, that was used to access written communication skills.

The RWCE is a completely separate test. I think SWT uses this test instead of the TRP 2. Something about a car on the level crossing? However the WCE is a different test altogether. Its a storyboard and you need to write what happened. As mentioned it's not actually graded, just judged when you come round to the DM if your successful to reach the final stage.
The rWCE and TRP2 are graded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redbutton

One aspect which is unclear is how long the passes under the new system last. I have been told 3 or 5 years by different TOC's, has anyone been told different?

The regulations say that results are good for a maximum of five years, but that doesn't mean that TOCs have to honor them for that long. That's why you've heard various figures being used at different TOCs. Theoretically a TOC could refuse to accept any old passes and make everyone take a new assessment to get hired at that TOC, but that wouldn't make financial sense.

Nick82

just wondering if any one has sat an assesment before and could provide info on a MMI

Beveridges

Established Member
Some TOCs make you sit the pshycho tests again regardless of what pass you've got, new tests or old tests.

I'm just glad I'm in the driving grade now (Depot Driving) and will never have to do those damned tests again, even if I switched company or moved to another job.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Not much is said on trp part two
Talk of numbers and scales
Are you still placing them in order of priority
What besides a time limit makes this challenging

uberslacker

There isn't a great deal to TRP2, the coloured segments are left to right in order of priority. The numbers-the lower the number, the higher priority if there is more than 1 arrow in the same segment.

4 dials, time limit & you are the challenge. Just shows you can work to a taught procedure

bigjoe

I am sitting my trainee driver assessment next week. Can anyone update me on the cables & dials. I'm still in two worlds as to the instructions needed.

putney

hi all. I went for my assessment 3 weeks ago . I found it very hard. but I failed on TEA-Occ (Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment), just on the tones.but I though that's it have to sit test again. but no the trainer said for to come back and just re sit one part of the test (the tones) and sit out rest of the test which was very fair of them I did not do the interview test . looking back now I am glad I am going back as be more prepared for the interview . so not so disappointed

as for cable and dials look for lowest number if 2 are in same section u can't go wrong ??????

Last edited:

Techz

I am sitting my trainee driver assessment next week. Can anyone update me on the cables & dials. I'm still in two worlds as to the instructions needed.

There isn't a great deal to TRP2, the coloured segments are left to right in order of priority. The numbers-the lower the number, the higher priority if there is more than 1 arrow in the same segment.

4 dials, time limit & you are the challenge. Just shows you can work to a taught procedure

Hi All

I had the assessment day at London Bridge in 2008 and passed it all had 1 interview three years later at Gillingham Train Station had postive feed back from the interview but never got the job.

I went again Today 13/01/2015 and did all the morning test the dot,memory and dials then onto computers all felt good apart from the dials.
You have 43 questions to answer in 8 mins now i had done really well testing myself at home on these but the numbers and shades made it harder i only answered 18 in the 8 mins as there is 4 dials but the practice before we started i did notice i was finished before all the others but doing the test i seemed slow and like i say only answered 18 and at lunch got called into to say my dials score was below avarage so i got kicked out :(

I think i should have maybe looked at the numbers more as i was spending a lot of time making sure the shade was right and then the numbers then i was writing the order down on the scrap paper then looking at the multiple choice answer to match mine i think maybe writing them on the scrap paper slowed me down.

So can anyone give me some advice on the dials at all how could i speed it up?

Many Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think i have found some useful help using search lol

If anyone else has anything else to help me please add it but here it is.

Thanks Dynamonic

The zones are the first thing you look at with each question.

Each dial is split into four different sized zones, the zones are in priority order. Left is the highest priority, and the right-most zone is the least priority.

The first thing to look at is where the needle is pointing on the four dials.

If you have a dial where the needle is in the left zone, then that is the first dial to check, then the one which is in the second zone, followed by third and finally fourth.

However, you may get a question where there are no dial needles pointing in the first zone, but two dials with a needle in the second zone. In this case, you have to prioritise the dial where the needle is pointing to the lowest numerical value, on the scale outside the dial.
(The priority is not reading the direction the needle appears to be pointing. You may have a needle pointing towards the left with a reading of 10 for example, but on another dial, a needle pointing towards the right with a reading of 5)

If you have more than one dial where the needle is in the same zone, always look for the lowest reading outside the dial.

So, prioritise the zones, then the numerical values if the needles fall in the same zone.

donpoku

Hello any tips on the computer tests I.e Atavt, wavf & 2hand coordination. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.