• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 180s to be withdrawn by 03/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

callum112233

Yes. I find the leg room very good on them.

If anyone is out chasing the 180, the all day Monday-Friday Blackpool-Manchester Victoria is still the diagram booked for the 180 (180103). The Hazel Grove diagram has been Sprinterised (could I suggest the Frequently requested diagrams sticky is amended to remove the Hazel Grove journeys along with the 17:56 Preston-Victoria and 19:28 Victoria-Blackpool N to save any confusion).

Cheers. Helpful post.
I might go to Victoria during the day on Wednesday and go to Bolton on a 180. Can't afford to go to Blackpool. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Driver 9000 (Nice to meet you by the way!) failed his lovely 180 (103) that was supposed to work the 09:22. 106 brought off the shed in unbranded livery to work ecs to Preston. Arrived back at Vic at about 12:45 but was also declared a failure at 14:00. Sent to Blackpool North CS in disgrace as Newton Heath was full.

Apparently there is something in the offing for Sat but at the current rate I have no idea if anything will be running!

Driver 9000 (Nice to meet you by the way!) failed his lovely 180 (103) that was supposed to work the 09:22. 106 brought off the shed in unbranded livery to work ecs to Preston. Arrived back at Vic at about 12:45 but was also declared a failure at 14:00. Sent to Blackpool North CS in disgrace as Newton Heath was full.

Apparently there is something in the offing for Sat but at the current rate I have no idea if anything will be running!

I was at Vic to do the 1322 to Blackpool. The problem was that the driver was unable to get the brake off at his end of the train and eventually the train cancelled. the passengers detrained. Cue my surprise when the train then departed ECS.

RAPC

I was on 103 this morning on the ex-Blackpool North service and it seemed to be fine. Shame it was a bad day then, especially that may well have been my personal farewell journey on them. Not sounding too good to see one of them turning up tomorrow morning!

driver9000

Established Member
I was on 103 this morning on the ex-Blackpool North service and it seemed to be fine. Shame it was a bad day then, especially that may well have been my personal farewell journey on them. Not sounding too good to see one of them turning up tomorrow morning!

It did run fine to Manchester.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So 103 and 106 are playing up? Is 108 a Christmas tree or is it just ready to go off-lease?

180108 is in the shed on Newton Heath under repair having not run since August. 180106 is back in service this morning.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's rumoured if they can keep them working for long enough that one will be in service on Saturday as a sort of farewell tour but I've got no idea which services it would run.

Geeves

Established Member
I was at Vic to do the 1322 to Blackpool. The problem was that the driver was unable to get the brake off at his end of the train and eventually the train cancelled. the passengers detrained. Cue my surprise when the train then departed ECS.

I was the despatcher. Very happy passengers indeed! I thought it was going to NH aswell. Not like a 180 can just sneak away lol. I never had anything over the radio, just the driver popped down and said he was taking it back to Blackpool. He seemed happy anyway!

driver9000

Established Member
So what time is it due through Manchester back into Newton Heath tommorow night then?

180106 will be out as normal tomorrow. The last 180 worked service tomorrow will be the 21:22 Manchester Victoria-Blackpool North. The set will then stable on Blackpool North depot.

Saturday was to see the running of a farewell tour but this has been scrapped, instead it is intended for the 180 to be in traffic for a few hours to help shift christmas shopping crowds. Crewing the 180 will be interesting as the 180 trained crews are not kept together at weekends like they are during the week. The set will most likely be withdrawn from Victoria and sent back to Newton Heath. I don't know what services it will be covering though.

Lampshade

Established Member
Saturday was to see the running of a farewell tour but this has been scrapped, instead it is intended for the 180 to be in traffic for a few hours to help shift christmas shopping crowds. Crewing the 180 will be interesting as the 180 trained crews are not kept together at weekends like they are during the week. The set will most likely be withdrawn from Victoria and sent back to Newton Heath. I don't know what services it will be covering though.

Aha, interesting. I'll be Christmas shopping in Manchester on Saturday so hope to catch one of the last runs, keep us posted if there's any change... please :)

callum112233

Hopefully the 180's will be in use on Saturday as I was going to go to Manchester on Saturday to get the Victoria-Blackpool service until I found out that 180's arn't used on Saturdays.

Not got time to go to Manchester today to get on the last service because I'll be at work :(

driver9000

Established Member
Sorry guys, the plan has changed again. The 180 is not running on Saturday due to difficulty finding crews for it. 180106 is to be withdrawn tonight and it looks like this will be once it arrives at Manchester Victoria off the 19:20 ex Blackpool North.

Geeves

Established Member
106 unfortunately never made it to the end of its booked workings today. That turn is now being covered by 142088!

I guess that is the end for the 180s then? Not quite going out with a bang.

PR1Berske

Established Member
And with it, Northern Rail can expect a lot more critics about its outdated stock.

I'll miss the 180s a lot :(

driver9000

Established Member
No info regarding short formation of the 1719, so I've no idea now if the 180 is out or not i'm afraid!

It is apparently back out and expected to end the day at Blackpool following its arrival off the 21:22 Manchester Victoria-Blackpool North.

callum112233

So I might still have the chance to photograph it yet. If anyone knows when it makes way back to Newton Heath then that would be useful information indeed. :D

I'm a bit determined :D and I'm not at work over the weekend.

Darandio

Established Member
Not more pacers sick of them. I want 150's in Newcastle

Going by other threads, our new resident "Pacer Hater"? :lol:

Although not sure what that comment had to do with 180's being withdrawn from the North-West. :-?

DesiroDom

Going by other threads, our new resident "Pacer Hater"? :lol:

Although not sure what that comment had to do with 180's being withdrawn from the North-West. :-?

I meant that the network of the north east and West will be Pacer ridden I hate the damn things and it will be worse when the 180's go only modern train in Northern rail's fleet.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I meant that the network of the north east and West will be Pacer ridden I hate the damn things and it will be worse when the 180's go only modern train in Northern rail's fleet.
Except for the 333s, if we're counting "modern" as meaning post-privatisation rolling stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.