• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 180s to be withdrawn by 03/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Just Leeds: The Airedale and Wharfedale services specifically. You might be thinking of the 3-car 323s that operate out of Piccadilly.

Yep with the 323s (operating on selected routes out of Manchester Picc) being ex-BR stock from the early 1990s, the same sort of age as the 165s.

A 333 can appear on a Leeds-Doncaster service but that is rare and it's usually 321s and soon to be 322s as well.

Established Member
Yeah and even they are centralised in Manchester Leeds etc

333s only work between Leeds and Bradford FS/Skipton/Ilkley. Plus the north east already has mostly Pacers, so having a few more isn't going to have that much of an effect.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Yeah and even they are centralised in Manchester Leeds etc

Nope they are centralised in leeds. And they are fantastic. 323s for manchester.

And you think pacers are bad id take them to some of the heritage stock i go on!!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep with the 323s (operating on selected routes out of Manchester Picc) being ex-BR stock from the early 1990s, the same sort of age as the 165s.

A 333 can appear on a Leeds-Doncaster service but that is rare and it's usually 321s and soon to be 322s as well.

322s have already made apperences i went on one the other day! much better nick than northern 321s :/
333s only work between Leeds and Bradford FS/Skipton/Ilkley. Plus the north east already has mostly Pacers, so having a few more isn't going to have that much of an effect.

2 pacers are better than 1!

sprinterguy

Established Member
2 pacers are better than 1!
Exactly! But I'll wager that the seven returned from FGW will have no effect on Pacer workings in the North East, being as they were Newton Heath units before they transferred away, and having all graduated back there now to the best of my knowledge. It'll still be all single 142s through Middlesborough and Newcastle no doubt. :( Of course there aren't the same problems of capacity in the north east as there are in Leeds and Manchester, but throwing Heaton a few "scraps" from Newton Heaths' table might be nice to allow a couple of doubled up Pacer workings to run through Newcastle in the peaks.

Established Member
Think the NE was due to get an additional Pacer from somewhere (from either a Nexus or ITA report I ready recently).

sprinterguy

Established Member
Think the NE was due to get an additional Pacer from somewhere (from either a Nexus or ITA report I ready recently).
Well, that's better than nothing. :) Though that'll probably be the extent of the handful of "additional carriages" talked about in the most recent East Coast RUS! ;)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Exactly! But I'll wager that the seven returned from FGW will have no effect on Pacer workings in the North East, being as they were Newton Heath units before they transferred away, and having all graduated back there now to the best of my knowledge. It'll still be all single 142s through Middlesborough and Newcastle no doubt. :( Of course there aren't the same problems of capacity in the north east as there are in Leeds and Manchester, but throwing Heaton a few "scraps" from Newton Heaths' table might be nice to allow a couple of doubled up Pacer workings to run through Newcastle in the peaks.

There's a table in the current issue of Rail showing how Northerns stock is being distributed, from memory +7 142s for Heaton.

sprinterguy

Established Member
There's a table in the current issue of Rail showing how Northerns stock is being distributed, from memory +7 142s for Heaton.
Good grief. If this proves to be the case, then I retract my previous statement, and you can consider my mind blown. :D

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Am i right in my understanding that some of the heaton pacers operate diagrams out of sheffield and leeds. So yes 7 may be allocated there but none of them could actually operate in NE technically....

Of course i could be talking out of my arse....

electra27000

Purely out of curiosity, are there any services in the north east (ie. Newcastle area) that could be operated by EMUs, rather than DMUs?

MCR247

Established Member
Newcastle - Morpeth? - but I think the trains start from somewhere else or something?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Purely out of curiosity, are there any services in the north east (ie. Newcastle area) that could be operated by EMUs, rather than DMUs?

There's a 2 hourly service north from Metrocentre which could be EMU following wiring of Metrocentre-Newcastle Central. But it'd be a micro fleet to maintain at Heaton, unless TP North EMU stock was used.

electra27000

There's a 2 hourly service north from Metrocentre which could be EMU following wiring of Metrocentre-Newcastle Central. But it'd be a micro fleet to maintain at Heaton, unless TP North EMU stock was used.

How likely is wiring up of the section to Metrocentre? Wiring it up and building a connection with the T&W Metro would seem the more logical solution - to me, anyway.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Am i right in my understanding that some of the heaton pacers operate diagrams out of sheffield and leeds. So yes 7 may be allocated there but none of them could actually operate in NE technically....

Of course i could be talking out of my arse....
Yes, pretty much half the Heaton 142 diagrams (Twelve of them, I believe) are in Yorkshire. So it is certainly possible that the lines radiating from Newcastle and Middlesborough won't actually see any of the additional units, but I would hope that that's not going to be the case.
How likely is wiring up of the section to Metrocentre? Wiring it up and building a connection with the T&W Metro would seem the more logical solution - to me, anyway.
For the reasons that IanXC outlines, it's highly unlikely. There's only an hourly train (during the main part of the day) between the Metrocentre and Morpeth that could benefit from the wires, and it would be an incredibly small micro fleet of EMUs for Heaton to maintain.

There's a better chance of the Tyne and Wear Metro being extended out to the Metrocentre IMO, and even that is extremely unlikely, and has no hope of happening this side of 2020.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Good grief. If this proves to be the case, then I retract my previous statement, and you can consider my mind blown. :D

Erm well:

RAIL 684 p27: said:
Heaton +8 (ex-FGW 142), +8
Neville Hill +20 (ex-FSR 322), +20
Newton Heath +6 (ex-FGW 142), +36 (ex-LM 150), -8 (156 to EMT), -56 (156 to Allerton), -37
Allerton +56 (ex NH 156), +56

Bold figure is overall position for the depot in question, Newton Heath doesn't appear to add up because Rail havent included the -15 180 carriages in the listing, but have in the total.

Of course this is the DfTs old favourite of counting carriages, and so it is actually 4 142s rather than 7. Hopefully some impact will be seen in the North East though, given the 5 322s removing diesel diagrams on electrified routes and so giving other capacity to Yorkshire.

Last edited:

simon7929

142 029/064 have been allocated to Heaton on arrival back to Northern from FGW. They have both been operating around the North East in the last month.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
How does 37 156 vehicles come about, is one in bits?

Hmm well there is something up isnt there.

The bold figure at the end of the row is the overall figure for the depot, but clearly Newton Heath's figures dont add up, I make the correct figure -22...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hmm well there is something up isnt there.

The bold figure at the end of the row is the overall figure for the depot, but clearly Newton Heath's figures dont add up, I make the correct figure -22...

- 15 180 carriges ;) lovely jubbly

Plus i typed wrong :) sorry i just saw two car units moving around and an odd number coming out. not just 156s

fgwrich

Established Member
142 029/064 have been allocated to Heaton on arrival back to Northern from FGW. They have both been operating around the North East in the last month.

Ah, so that's where theyve got to!

Look on the brightside, thay may still be a Pacer, but there ex Exeter Pacers - So they'll be in far better nic than Newton Heaths lot! ;)

Lampshade

Established Member
Ah, so that's where theyve got to!

Look on the brightside, thay may still be a Pacer, but there ex Exeter Pacers - So they'll be in far better nic than Newton Heaths lot! ;)

They're not 'ex-Exeter' Pacers, they're 'ex-Exeter-ex-Storage-ex-run-into-ground' Pacers. FGW put some new seat covers on them, ooh be still my beating heart :roll::lol:

richw

Veteran Member
They're not 'ex-Exeter' Pacers, they're 'ex-Exeter-ex-Storage-ex-run-into-ground' Pacers. FGW put some new seat covers on them, ooh be still my beating heart :roll::lol:

Indeed but for some stupid reason exeter depot put a lot of love and care into their pacers! Making the best of a bad situation I guess.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Established Member

Newcastle - Morpeth would be the only one, so something would have to be done to accomodate the MetroCentre trains in. Sticking my neck out here - EMUs would no doubt be a waste for this service.

electra27000 said:

Very low indeed. There would have to be some major tunneling work to get the Metro from Gateshead onto the Tyne Valley Line, and you'd also need extra stock as it is being used just about as much as it can be at the minute.

Geeves

Established Member

As Lampshade stays they came back from Exeter in just as much state as they left. 068 came off Newton Heath on Friday last week with only one engine, no electrics in one car and had its sorry ass dragged to Leeds by a 3 car 158. Subsequently on route to Leeds the 142 put up a mighty struggle and resulted in various services across the Calder Valley going up the wall!!:roll::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.