• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
Do Northern still lease one 170 a day to TPE or has that stopped now that the new timetable has come in?
The TransPennine Express Wikipedia article still shows a single Class 170/4 Turbostar being subleased from Northern, though that is Wikipedia :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superkev

Established Member
Do Northern still lease one 170 a day to TPE or has that stopped now that the new timetable has come in?
I understand that Northern have handed back to TPE the two 185s they where using on the Barrow route so TPE can manage without the Northern 170.
What Northern are using on the Barrow service now I don't know.
K

M60lad

From what I've read elsewhere I believe Northern are using 158s now on Manchester Airport-Barrow services

ed1971

From what I've read elsewhere I believe Northern are using 158s now on Manchester Airport-Barrow services

I have seen Class 158s at Wigan NW this week. One was ex Scotrail. Before the timetable change, there was an hourly Blackpool North to Manchester Airport service via Wigan NW using Class 319s. It departed Wigan NW for Manchester Airport about the same time.

Class455

Established Member
I understand that Northern have handed back to TPE the two 185s they where using on the Barrow route so TPE can manage without the Northern 170.
What Northern are using on the Barrow service now I don't know.
K
Its definitely stopped. The diagram that would usually be covered by a 170 was worked by 185121 today

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Rode one of the Harrogate semi-fasts earlier from Leeds to Horsforth. Skipping Burley Park and Headingley does allow the 170s to get out of first gear and stretch their legs a bit at least!

superkev

Established Member
Rode one of the Harrogate semi-fasts earlier from Leeds to Horsforth. Skipping Burley Park and Headingley does allow the 170s to get out of first gear and stretch their legs a bit at least!
Hmm. That shouldn't happen as I believe the overall line speed on the harrogate line is 60mph where 170s change from to high gear at around 65.
K

bnsf734

The Sheffield - Bridlington service was in the sole hands of Class 170's yesterday although 1 service from Bridlington was cancelled at Hull (Planning error!) and never reached Sheffield along with its return working.

The other 170 workings were on the Leeds - Harrogate/Knaresborough/York route where they almost had sole command after 150270 was noted helping out.

AMD

I have seen Class 158s at Wigan NW this week. One was ex Scotrail. Before the timetable change, there was an hourly Blackpool North to Manchester Airport service via Wigan NW using Class 319s. It departed Wigan NW for Manchester Airport about the same time.
The Blackpool - Airport service now runs via Chorley and the path is now used by 158s (eventually 195s) on Preston/ Barrow/ Windermere runs. Later in the summer the Preston terminators will extend to Barrow to complete the timetable plan, it's just that there's not enough units yet.

Halifaxlad

Established Member

Saw them go through Burley Park the otherday much to my surprise.

Does anybody know if these shuttle services will be retained when LNER starts operating their new IEP trains to Harrogate that are supposed to be calling only at Horsforth on route?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Saw them go through Burley Park the otherday much to my surprise.

Does anybody know if these shuttle services will be retained when LNER starts operating their new IEP trains to Harrogate that are supposed to be calling only at Horsforth on route?
I think the plan is one of the two semi-fasts per second hour will become an LNER service. No doubt someone more knowledgeable will correct me if not.

xc170

I travel to Knaresborough a couple of times a year and today was my first trip on one of Northerns Class 170s, I'm impressed.

Decent refurb and such a step up in quality from the Class 144 and 150 I usually end up on.

PomWombat

Maybe not then! Though I thought I heard the engine note change.
Perhaps just coasting instead.

I caught my first semi-fast on Friday too, and it was certainly different. Speeding upon approach to Weeton, and having to brake sharply on approach to the Crimple curve/viaduct were noticeable.

I wonder if the LNER stand-ins will also stop at Hornbeam Park. That'd be a first.

rich r

We've had 142/144/150/153/158 on the Selby-Leeds route for the last few years until January when we got 170s. But then at the May timetable change we're back to 142/144 again. I got used to the space, comfort and ride of the 170 - now I've got a bad back from being back on Pacers :(

This morning just a two carriage set - 142085 (I think). People got left on the platfrom at Crossgates. Sigh...

Spartacus

Established Member
We've had 142/144/150/153/158 on the Selby-Leeds route for the last few years until January when we got 170s. But then at the May timetable change we're back to 142/144 again. I got used to the space, comfort and ride of the 170 - now I've got a bad back from being back on Pacers :(

This morning just a two carriage set - 142085 (I think). People got left on the platfrom at Crossgates. Sigh...

Looks like you were just unlucky (142089 I think rather than 085), the other diagram is a 158 and the two additional peak ones both 158s, one of those a 3 car.

Harvey B

If I'm honest the 170s should really be used on those services and the Leeds to York via Cross Gates services and just have the Harrogate line being Sprinters as their soul fleet

I travel to Knaresborough a couple of times a year and today was my first trip on one of Northerns Class 170s, I'm impressed.

Decent refurb and such a step up in quality from the Class 144 and 150 I usually end up on.

Very nice! I'm left wondering why most of the good stuff is over on the east side of "the hills" while over in Manchester etc. we're still having to put up with 15xs which just do not compare with these comfortable air conditioned trains, you folk in Yorkshire etc. you're spoilt, it's luxury! ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Very nice! I'm left wondering why most of the good stuff is over on the east side of "the hills" while over in Manchester etc. we're still having to put up with 15xs which just do not compare with these comfortable air conditioned trains, you folk in Yorkshire etc. you're spoilt, it's luxury! ;)
Just a point of order... Harrogate isn't really Yorkshire, it's an exclave of Surrey with a sideline in selling the Disney version of Yorkshire: Betty's, Yorkshire Tea (ugh!) and overpronouncing glottal stops.

We proles in real Yorkshire have to make do with our 144s and Dogboxes!

;)

superkev

Established Member
Forget the air con as winter maintenance or fixing it is considered as low priority.
Witness what seemed like around 50% of the 158s passing through sowerby during last weeks mini summer with the usless emergency vents open. Failed A/C should equal a failed train and the vents removed to encourage someone to correctly prioritise it.
K

Neptune

Established Member
We all know why 170’s are staple power on the Harrogate line. They are totally unsuited to the route due to the low top line speed and slow acceleration from the frequent stops but I think Northern management got fed up of travelling to work on 14x and 15x units. Meanwhile most of the rest of Yorkshire put up with the 1980’s rubbish as per the rest of the Northern area.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Forget the air con as winter maintenance or fixing it is considered as low priority.
Witness what seemed like around 50% of the 158s passing through sowerby during last weeks mini summer with the usless emergency vents open. Failed A/C should equal a failed train and the vents removed to encourage someone to correctly prioritise it.
K
Dodgy air-con on 158s has become a "go to" complaint for those with any interest in the running of the railway, and has become such a "railway trope" that you'll notice every time you see a 158 with the emergency hoppers open. Often, crews haven't given the system time to get going before they open the hoppers (due to inexperience, or to prevent being set upon by an angry mob of overdressed pax), which means if it wasn't broken before it definitely will be soon!

But yeah, let's just cancel trains because it's a bit warm. Clearly the lesser of two evils there... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.