• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray J

railcam reports the units heading for storage at KWVR are 144001, 012, 014, 017 and 020 on the neville hill and holbeck moves, the hull move hasn't departed yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mat17

railcam reports the units heading for storage at KWVR are 144001, 012, 014, 017 and 020 on the neville hill and holbeck moves, the hull move hasn't departed yet.

144012, well so much for that being the last one in service then. I have to admit, I haven't seen it around for a while. Prior to the lockdown there were always plenty of 144s at Sheffield. I haven't seen 144012 at all this year though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
144012, well so much for that being the last one in service then. I have to admit, I haven't seen it around for a while. Prior to the lockdown there were always plenty of 144s at Sheffield. I haven't seen 144012 at all this year though.
My last sight of it was at Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago when it was in the sidings on a Sunday.

The idea of it being the last in service was purely speculation. AIUI it wasn't exempt from the conditional derogations which applied to the rest of the class.

Mat17

The idea of it being the last in service was purely speculation. AIUI it wasn't exempt from the conditional derogations which applied to the rest of the class.

Well to be fair, I perhaps was being overly optimistic :) I had assumed that having had all that money/work done on it, that the ROSCO would want to get their money back on it by having it out in service as long as possible. Well that's what I would have done, but then this is the railways. To be honest as a commuter, I'm glad to see the back of it. The hard seating wasn't favourable. I much prefer the other 144s.

Mat17

Where are they storing them at Keighley? In the platforms or further up in the headshunt/turntable road past platform 3?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Surely if 144012 was prm compliant it could stay operating a while and was it ever used as a compliant unit for another pacer

TheSel

Especially for you. 7 March 2020, full and standing, about to form the 1754 Sheffield to Gainsborough Central.

55835 - 144012 - Sheffield.jpg

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well to be fair, I perhaps was being overly optimistic :) I had assumed that having had all that money/work done on it, that the ROSCO would want to get their money back on it by having it out in service as long as possible. Well that's what I would have done, but then this is the railways. To be honest as a commuter, I'm glad to see the back of it. The hard seating wasn't favourable. I much prefer the other 144s.
The "144Evolution" project was more about proof-of-concept. It was assumed that the then-forthcoming Northern franchise would not involve any new diesel stock, so the idea of further extending the life of Pacers seemed to have legs. Indeed the Treasury were reluctant to agree to the investment specified in the franchise that was eventually granted. Even if the current lockdown situation hadn't arisen, it was probably more likely that 144012 would be stopped early due to being non-standard, rather than be kept going longer due to the investment in it.

Mat17

Even if the current lockdown situation hadn't arisen, it was probably more likely that 144012 would be stopped early due to being non-standard, rather than be kept going longer due to the investment in it.

To be honest that does make sense.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Surely if 144012 was prm compliant it could stay operating a while and was it ever used as a compliant unit for another pacer
It was subject to the same restrictions as the rest of the class, and as a solitary non-standard unit it would have been a nightmare to diagram separately.

I do hope it gets saved somewhere, but with what's happening in the world, saving it won't exactly be a priority. At least scrapyards aren't classed as essential businesses AFAIK.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I had a journey on it, 144012, on 13 March I think, Wakefield Kirkgate - Mirfield. I was taken aback at how filthy the interior was on that occasion.

YorksDMU

I’ve never forgotten that terrible journey from Hull to York I had on 144012 in September of last year. Apart from the seats, the heating was in hyper mode, and I was having breathing problems as a result. The ceiling had rust streaks on it, and, of course, the ride was no different to any other Pacer.
I will not miss that particular unit.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Where are they storing them at Keighley? In the platforms or further up in the headshunt/turntable road past platform 3?

Just on platform 3 and down towards boundary with network rail. Can't put them anywhere else as the line is currently stuck under a possession due to the big hole at Ingrow.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’ve never forgotten that terrible journey from Hull to York I had on 144012 in September of last year. Apart from the seats, the heating was in hyper mode, and I was having breathing problems as a result. The ceiling had rust streaks on it, and, of course, the ride was no different to any other Pacer.
I will not miss that particular unit.
Hear, hear! The ceiling had cracks with leak patches coming through, the windows leaked, the seats were rock hard compared with other 144s and when I was on it the toilet was broken.

Edit: on the train, not the toilet.

superkev

Established Member
According to railcam 144003 and 144016, making a grand total of 8 144s stored at Keighley.
I assume they are still Northern units and not off lease. As for storage on the KWVR they cant get beyond the bridge south of ingrow tunnel which was being replaced and currently stalled due to virus thing.
K

1D53

Established Member
The 144s are not required for the reduced timetable so they're temporarily stood down, they are still Northern units.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 144s are not required for the reduced timetable so they're temporarily stood down, they are still Northern units.
I assume the KWVR are being compensated for the use of their track to store the units, either by DOR/DfT or by Porterbrook? That'll be very welcome with both the Ingrow blockade and the current shutdown in place.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I assume the KWVR are being compensated for the use of their track to store the units, either by DOR/DfT or by Porterbrook? That'll be very welcome with both the Ingrow blockade and the current shutdown in place.
Good point - linked up preserved lines could be a big resource freed up for all the spare rolling stock about with a useful bit of rent as a result!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Some more heading there now as 5G11. Doesn't appear in real time trains but is just now on the fast lines between northallerton and Thirsk.

Murray J

didn't catch the numbers but it's 3 2 car 144s.
EDIT: a railcam user is reporting the numbers are 144007/011/013.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So are these in warm storage or now effectively withdrawn?
For now "warm storage" is probably the most accurate description for the 144s. However depending on how long it takes for things to start to get back to normal they may never return. If my memory serves me right, 144011 is the one destined for preservation at the KWVR, so they may save a bit on transportation costs at least!

Anonymous10

Established Member
For now "warm storage" is probably the most accurate description for the 144s. However depending on how long it takes for things to start to get back to normal they may never return. If my memory serves me right, 144011 is the one destined for preservation at the KWVR, so they may save a bit on transportation costs at least!
If they do return to service it might just be left there

Status
Not open for further replies.