• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rolling stock changes post electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Perhaps he should take lessons from Liverpool drivers who take very little time between Euxton and Wigan to reach the magic three figures.

Response from another driver

I'd expect it should hit 90 by Sandbach running on greens even if it takes a little longer than a 323 - but my own experience observing a colleague on Chat Moss has shown its the last 10-15mph that the unit really struggles with.

We've been told that putting them straight into notch 4/running them up too quickly can damage the motors (323s meanwhile will happily go straight to notch 4 from a standing start); so it's a notch one start with notch two as soon as the unit starts moving. Can put it into notch 3 around 10mph but it won't start putting power down until 15-20mph which is when it really starts accelerating.

So perhaps the lesson learnt from Liverpool drivers is if you try to get them up to speed too quickly it damages the motors and causes them to be unreliable trains?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
319s started on the Alderley Edge services today.

(Picture is of 319384 waiting to work the 10:38 to Alderley Edge)

On it right now! Airier and brighter than a 323 but not as hot off the line and doesn't make the whirring sound 323s do; just sounds like it has one long gear from 0-90!

Geeves

Established Member
On the 331s both the three car an the four car sets, the driving cars will be motored on all wheel sets. The middle car(s) are un-motored and carry the transformer. On the four car sets there is one trailer car with nothing under it so it wouldn't be hard to make the three cars to four. Still don't think they will be as fast as the 323s .

samuelmorris

Established Member
On the 331s both the three car an the four car sets, the driving cars will be motored on all wheel sets. The middle car(s) are un-motored and carry the transformer. On the four car sets there is one trailer car with nothing under it so it wouldn't be hard to make the three cars to four. Still don't think they will be as fast as the 323s .
I don't see why not, 50% axles powered is common for most new EMUs and on AC, both 700s and 345s have excellent acceleration with a similar proportion of powered axles...

D365

Veteran Member
I don't see why not, 50% axles powered is common for most new EMUs and on AC, both 700s and 345s have excellent acceleration with a similar proportion of powered axles...

Agreed and IGBT-era tech has been steadily improving over the 90s GTO AC drive of the Networkers and 323.

samuelmorris

Established Member
When did that happen? I don't see 323s often but I haven't seen footage of any that suggests a traction electronics change - I'm sure given the distinctive noise the original system on the 323s produced that it would make a noticeable difference...

Overspeed110

When did that happen? I don't see 323s often but I haven't seen footage of any that suggests a traction electronics change - I'm sure given the distinctive noise the original system on the 323s produced that it would make a noticeable difference...

They were done in the last 18 months or so and there is no difference whatsoever in the noise or performance of the unit according to a DI mate who drives them

On Moderation
IIRC, I think it was only the traction motor inverters that remained as GTO - every other GTO-operated piece of equipment became IGBT-operated. I could be wrong though - @edwin_m's thoughts are equally likely.
Nope. Traction inverters are changed to IGBT type. Posted on another forum by someone who knows (as they work for Alstom).

craigybagel

Established Member
Has the permanent speed restriction south of Sandbach been lifted

Once clear of Crewe North Junction, it's 85 on the down and 90 on the up to just before Sandbach. 110 north of there.

Interesting observation on another forum a driver claimed while taking a 319 ECS from Crewe to Manchester it took until Chelford (14 miles north of Crewe) to reach the maximum 100mph speed!

Given that even a diesel powered 175 week normally hit 100 well before that - and on Northern strike days is still able to hit the ton between Holmes Chapel and Alderley Edge from a standing start, I very much doubt that.

That said, from a trip in the rear cab of a 323 one time I noted it still managed to hit 90 from a standing start between Sandbach and Crewe, the 319s are going to have a lot to live up to performance wise.

In any case, the diagram that takes the 319s to Alderley Edge does also see them up all the way to Crewe in the evening, so if somebody wants to bring along a GPS.....

Rail Blues

The 319 interiors have been refurbished whilst the the 323 have not and are not likely to be with Northern.

I'd hardly call it a refurbishment,more like a refresh, like everything at Northern it is done to a price and while not badly executed, doesn't disguise the.fact you are travelling on rolling stock that is over 30 years old and has had a hard life behind it.

Geeves

Established Member
Class 323 (323231) became the first of the class to reach Allerton depot tonight. Its there for crew training for the future Liverpool - Airport - Crewe jobs.

156 training continues this week, with a unit out-stationed at Holbeck for Leeds and York train crew to learn and sign (re sign).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.