• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Staff (of all grades wearing Xmas Jumpers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spacehopper

It would be nice if the company allowed us to wear Jumpers all year. Don't understand why they did away with them to be replaced by a snooker player waistcoast which doesn't keep you warm....

badger1badger

It would be nice if the company allowed us to wear Jumpers all year. Don't understand why they did away with them to be replaced by a snooker player waistcoast which doesn't keep you warm....

I agree space hopper - a nice smart jumper, v neck in corporate colours with correct badging and decals

Most importantly is that sleeves should not be rolled up and a correct tie should be worn

Glad you agree

muz379

Established Member

I agree , a waistcoat is alright in the heat of summer , but in the winter months a knitted jumper would be handy .

As for christmas jumpers , I didnt get round to wearing one , ive not bought a Christmas jumper this year but would have worn one if I had bought one . I still donated a couple of quid to the charity though because its all for a good cause and to spread a bit of festive cheer
I agree space hopper - a nice smart jumper, v neck in corporate colours with correct badging and decals

Most importantly is that sleeves should not be rolled up and a correct tie should be worn

Glad you agree

So what about summer when I harderly ever wear a tie , and if Im wearing a ls shirt I will roll the sleeves up .

Llanigraham

On Moderation
It is work not a play ground

Uniform is uniform adamW

Correct it is work, but that does not mean that there cannot be the occasional piece of FUN, but then from your postings on this subject you seem not to know what that is.

Lighten up, sunshine! Life is a lot easier with a smile!!

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
What was that which Northern Guard was saying about some people having a sense of humour?

It seems to get lost quite a lot around here (which is a shame). How a simple post like mine can cause so much argumentative conversations is really quite beyond me!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am actually and encourage my team to have fun but come on Christmas jumpers ........

Of course you do. Dress down day must be a right laugh at your place ;)

Now if you said you didn’t like Christmas jumpers I would have agreed. I think they are silly and I don’t own one. They are harmless for one day as a charity exception though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It seems to get lost quite a lot around here (which is a shame). How a simple post like mine can cause so much argumentative conversations is really quite beyond me!

Becuase the railways are a serious business and humour has no place there! ;)

badger1badger

Correct it is work, but that does not mean that there cannot be the occasional piece of FUN, but then from your postings on this subject you seem not to know what that is.

Lighten up, sunshine! Life is a lot easier with a smile!!

I am quite a fun person to be with and I really don't understand why the fuss ......

All I expect as a rail employee is that teams show respect to the travelling public and dress accordingly with the rules

I guess this thread will be stopped now but I think all the responders will agree with me

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am quite a fun person to be with and I really don't understand why the fuss ......

All I expect as a rail employee is that teams show respect to the travelling public and dress accordingly with the rules

I guess this thread will be stopped now but I think all the responders will agree with me

I am not sure everyone does agree with you but....... does it not become a rule if the CEO asks staff to wear a Christmas jumper if they so wish for one day?

Tomnick

Established Member
If the management, at whichever level, set and enforce the uniform policy ("the rules", in this respect), then how can it be against "the rules" if that same management says that their staff may wear a Christmas jumper for the day?

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
When it all comes down to it. our MD said we can wear our Christmas Jumpers on Christmas Eve. So some of us did and the majority of passengers liked it. So whats the issue?

muz379

Established Member
When it all comes down to it. our MD said we can wear our Christmas Jumpers on Christmas Eve. So some of us did and the majority of passengers liked it. So whats the issue?

my sentiments exactly , those that did wear a Christmas jumper where complying with the uniform policy .

Even the strict catholic high school I attended allowed us days when we could wear our own clothes in exchange for a small charitable donation

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I doubt it would make any difference to Elf and Safety, if it did it'd probably be sherry and mince pies (tea and buscuits) for those in trouble. There's always bound to be some (xmas) pudding who doesn't like it. Wonder how many xmas puns we can sleigh out of this thread?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

anti-pacer

Established Member
As a fare paying commuter who uses Northern to get to and from work, I can honestly say if one of their guards approached me for my ticket dressed like that, I would have probably responded with, "Nice jumper, it's good to see a bit of Christmas spirit about".

We wore Christmas jumpers at my workplace, as did many others across the country. I see no problem, unless it's the police. They DO need to show their uniformed presence, but a railway guard once in a while? No problem with me at all.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Agree with your apparent miserable stance on the subject? Not a chance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.