• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Steam services on the Settle and Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Duck

I disagree that it's well advertised!

I rang the NRE ticketing helpline and they hadn't heard of it and then went to a Northern ticket office where they also hadn't heard of it and couldn't advise the correct restrictions.

It still amazes me that Northern ticket offices don't know about the Settle and Carlisle day ranger as we all received the brief about the ticket and all the guidelines that went with it. Even we have printed off the original brief to take with us next week just in case.
Really looking forward to it. Don't get very many chances to travel by steam for this length of journey for £15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It still amazes me that Northern ticket offices don't know about the Settle and Carlisle day ranger as we all received the brief about the ticket and all the guidelines that went with it. Even we have printed off the original brief to take with us next week just in case....

If you worked in a Northern ticket office you wouldn't be amazed about a lack of information, you'd be expecting it.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Got reservations for the 17:15 on the 16th. Means I get steam haulage both ways!

LeylandLen

I believe Northern have an internal e-mail service, no doubt like many TOCs companies / organisations. As to whether the recipients actually read and note every e-mail is obviously open to question. No, I do not read every e-mail I get !!! They might all have info re Settle and Carlisle line in in-box unread !:D

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I believe Northern have an internal e-mail service, no doubt like many TOCs companies / organisations. As to whether the recipients actually read and note every e-mail is obviously open to question. No, I do not read every e-mail I get !!! They might all have info re Settle and Carlisle line in in-box unread !:D

In order to read an email you'd have to receive it, and that would require an email to be sent in the first place.

janb

In order to read an email you'd have to receive it, and that would require an email to be sent in the first place.

Indeed, found printed copy of the brief and went looking for the email, and realised we hadn't received it that way. Instead my own tendency to poke around every corner of the Northern intranet to find the randomly selected uploaded briefs in a million different places had discovered it.

Paul Duck

We are supplied with Northern E mail addresses and we got it. Would get onto powers that be within ur area of Northern. Bit shocking if u don't receive important e mails from your own company but we do.

HowMuch?

The service information on Opentraintimes is interesting.

The morning Appleby>Skipton service is 2Z22 on 14,15,16 Feb. The technical information is "Diesel loco with a 715 tonne load" (the regular services are shown as DMU).

Is there any particular reason the system doesn't mention Tornado?. Is the "assisting" diesel loco the one officially in charge? Or does the system just not have a tick box for "steam" ?

Trainfan344

Established Member
The service information on Opentraintimes is interesting.

The morning Appleby>Skipton service is 2Z22 on 14,15,16 Feb. The technical information is "Diesel loco with a 715 tonne load" (the regular services are shown as DMU).

Is there any particular reason the system doesn't mention Tornado?. Is the "assisting" diesel loco the one officially in charge? Or does the system just not have a tick box for "steam" ?

System doesn't have a tick box for steam, look for the speed, 60 mph indicates steam haulage Chimney first, 45 mph indicates Steam Haulage, Tender first.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
We are supplied with Northern E mail addresses and we got it. Would get onto powers that be within ur area of Northern. Bit shocking if u don't receive important e mails from your own company but we do.

Makes no difference. For me it isn't shocking, it's normal.

IanD

Established Member

Didn't receive or didn't read? Seems to be some great pride taken in not bothering to read important emails by some staff :roll:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Didn't receive or didn't read? Seems to be some great pride taken in not bothering to read important emails by some staff :roll:

Didnt receive. I'll give you an example of how it goes.

Staff briefing confirming steam train details came out on an internal site 12 hours or more after the general public found out reservations had become available. The internal site cannot be accessed by all staff and less than two thirds of staff "actively view" (I have no idea how that is measured as it is management speak). A link to the web page was posted on an "unofficial communication channel" that less than half the employees (including all management grades) are able to see (and managers claim cannot be constantly monitored). A request was submitted for an email to be sent out and was met with a reply of "you have a weblink, you don't need an email".

Trainfan344

Established Member
Haven't had it repainted into Northern Livery for the event? (Is that being saved for 60103?)

Condor7

From the sound of it all the bookable tickets on Tornado will have now gone, is that correct? Also am I correct in understanding that there will be some carriages for walk on passengers and will it be all hell let loose to get on?

Thanks

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Reservable places are gone, three coaches will be unreservable but every passenger on board must have a seat.

Bevan Price

Established Member

LeylandLen

I assume Tornado will be in 'normal' mode going north to Appleby therefore tender first southbound to Skipton as not possible to turn at Appleby ?

Nevillehill

On the rear or at the Skipton end? Given the time available at Skipton and other services running will they be able to do a double shunt?

I don't know Appleby very well but it will be staying there for 2 hours for water, now if tornado is facing north from Skipton that means the water tower must be north end of Appleby station.
I want a pic of it over Ribblehead but I'm not wasting time if the 67 is leading from Skipton.
Does any one know where Tornado is staying on Monday night as this will give a clue to its positioning.

Houghj40

I don't know Appleby very well but it will be staying there for 2 hours for water, now if tornado is facing north from Skipton that means the water tower must be north end of Appleby station.
I want a pic of it over Ribblehead but I'm not wasting time if the 67 is leading from Skipton.
Does any one know where Tornado is staying on Monday night as this will give a clue to its positioning.

For what it's worth and the timings seem to support this,I have been told chimney first northbound, tender first southbound.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Going back a few steps, Tornado comes north from Stewarts Lane to Doncaster Monday afternoon.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54819/2017/02/13/advanced

At the same time, a class 67 works from Toton to Burton to pick up the coaching stock and take it to Doncaster.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54830/2017/02/13/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54828/2017/02/13/advanced

Combined, Tornado, the 67 and the coaching stock go forward to Appleby on the ECS movement posted by 'Trainfan344'.

Houghj40

From the sound of it all the bookable tickets on Tornado will have now gone, is that correct? Also am I correct in understanding that there will be some carriages for walk on passengers and will it be all hell let loose to get on?

Thanks

I have finally found reference to a queueing system being put in place for the unreserved seats. So no, not a scrum..... just a long wait, potentially in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.