• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern: The Great Unit Cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PomWombat

I meant the units that used to be with Scotrail, now repainted and refurbished to Northern spec
Yes. The first services that this batch of ex-Scotrail 170s ran for Northern were on the Harrogate line, in May 2018. We've likely seen all of them on there at one time or another.

There are 5 left to be repainted as yet, all of which have declassified 1st cabins. The first of these is now in the shop, so it'll be interesting to see what comes out.

Chris125

Established Member
There's been a lot of discussion about new units arriving and old units being withdrawn, but very little about internal cascades of 150s/156s/158s.

Can anyone summarise which routes have benefited from DMUs freed up by the latest tranche of 195s working Leeds-Chester?

Llama

Established Member
Southport has definitely seen an improvement, many trains are booked 158s now, even some of the Southport-Blackburns via Copy Pit.

John C

I’ve noticed the 3 car 158’s (158752-9) are now appearing more regular on some Leeds-Carlisle services since the introduction of 195’s on the Calder Valley route.

northernchris

Established Member
I’ve noticed the 3 car 158’s (158752-9) are now appearing more regular on some Leeds-Carlisle services since the introduction of 195’s on the Calder Valley route.

The 3 car 158s are common on the Harrogate line too

It would appear a lot of the 158s freed up from Calder Valley diagrams have gone west

YorksDMU

150104 was on the 16.20 from Scarborough to Hull on Thursday. I wonder if there will be more of those coming over to the east especially for the Hull to Sheffield all stations service - which is currently Pacer operated.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Southport has definitely seen an improvement, many trains are booked 158s now, even some of the Southport-Blackburns via Copy Pit.
Only a temporary improvement for Southport, since the Leeds and Blackburn services are being cut back to Wigan Wallgate from the December TT change. Unlikely that 158s will be seen on the replacement Southport to Alderley Edge and Stalybridge services.

Llama

Established Member
Yes that's a good point.

And from March, if what we have been told is correct and 769s make an appearance on the Southport-Alderley Edges, either Piccadilly crews are going to have to be trained on 769s or Wigan crews are going to have to learn Alderley Edge (again - they used to sign it until about ten years ago). As far as I know Wigan crew will be the first to be trained on 769s.

Marton

There's been a lot of discussion about new units arriving and old units being withdrawn, but very little about internal cascades of 150s/156s/158s.

Can anyone summarise which routes have benefited from DMUs freed up by the latest tranche of 195s working Leeds-Chester?
A lot of Tees services now 156/158. I had my first refurbished 158 Middlesbrough to Darlington on Tuesday. USB plugs and WiFi, but I couldn’t get to the WiFi log in page - is it set up yet?

158/156 on most Durham coast. Esk Vslley seems mixed 156/158.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

158s have been cropping up on the Penistone line, though I'm told this is a temporary thing to do with the leaf fall season rather than a "cascade" as such.

Phlip

150104 was on the 16.20 from Scarborough to Hull on Thursday. I wonder if there will be more of those coming over to the east especially for the Hull to Sheffield all stations service - which is currently Pacer operated.

From December, the Hull - Sheffield stopper is shortened to become a Hull - Doncaster stopper again. There's a new Doncaster - Sheffield stopper in its place.

Greybeard33

Established Member
And from March, if what we have been told is correct and 769s make an appearance on the Southport-Alderley Edges, either Piccadilly crews are going to have to be trained on 769s or Wigan crews are going to have to learn Alderley Edge (again - they used to sign it until about ten years ago). As far as I know Wigan crew will be the first to be trained on 769s.
Interesting. When the 769s start to enter service, I fear we will see more cancellations and short workings due to a shortage of crew with the required combination of traction and route knowledge. As currently with the 195s.

palmersears

Established Member
A 158 now forms the 1700 Piccadilly to Huddersfield, the first time I've seen a regular Northern 158 working from the main shed at Piccadilly for some time.

_toommm_

Established Member
A 158 now forms the 1700 Piccadilly to Huddersfield, the first time I've seen a regular Northern 158 working from the main shed at Piccadilly for some time.

What does it work off? Can't ever remember a Northern 158 in the shed either!

Chris125

Established Member
What's the latest? Presumably Sprinters are now working services long dominated by Pacers.

childwallblues

Established Member
Well I travelled on Preston to Ormskirk yesterday, a route long dominated by Pacers, and it was 156423 whilst 156424 was on was on Preston to Colne.

Cavendish1

The Stalybridge to Vic shuttle has been a 158/153 combination all this week so far, welcome improvement from the usual 142's, but surely not the best use of a 158? Not complaining though!!

SteveyBee131

On the Northern Unit Refurbishment thread 156496 was heading to Eastleigh for refurb. It was planned to go by rail on Saturday. Perhaps there was a problem with it going by rail?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Seems as though 150/1s have at least one (of two I believe) Hull-Doncaster diagram nowadays. The days when it was a guaranteed Pacer feel like so long ago already...

Status
Not open for further replies.