• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunday_mornin

Thanks Mate, it's certainly been a long time coming, I only have 2 more days in my current job to work.
Yeah I'd imagine you will find out this week whether you have passed your MMI or not, I never did enjoy the waiting part.

Silv1983

Hi All,

I will shortly be commencing training at Bolton and would like to ask if there is sufficient parking available at the station yard car park (would hate to be late on the first day..)
Alternatively is there staff parking available at Horwich Parkway, as I know the car parks are full by 07:30 each morning.

Please feel free to PM if preferred.

Thanks, T

There is a staff car park with extra spaces available along the back where the old platform 5 used to be. However, there has been a lot of work recently at the station and Network Rail have more than once closed the car park. I recommend a nice early start on your first day and get the train - and speak to your trainer about parking. I was very early on day 1 just to be safe and me and another starter sat in Morrisons cafe for a hearty breakfast :)

Sunday_mornin

Congratulations, it must be quite a relief.
Did you do your medical before you got your contract or did you have to hand in your notice and hope the medical was ok?

Bit of both, my medical is on Wednesday but I have already handed in my notice. Should anything bad happen with regards my medical, my current employer has already said they would have me back.
Let's just hope it doesn't come to that.

I received my contract over a week ego but it does state that it is on the proviso of satisfactory medical and reference results. Both of these things need to have been met by mid April.

Last edited:

takeaway

Nice one, are you going to be based at Vic?

Victoria for me too :)

There is a staff car park with extra spaces available along the back where the old platform 5 used to be. However, there has been a lot of work recently at the station and Network Rail have more than once closed the car park. I recommend a nice early start on your first day and get the train - and speak to your trainer about parking. I was very early on day 1 just to be safe and me and another starter sat in Morrisons cafe for a hearty breakfast :)

Thank you for the advice Silv, glad I raised the question now. Will take the train (or bus..) on day one to be sure.

Did your uniform arrive to your home address prior to starting, or did you collect during training?

Thanks again, T

Red18

That's great that your employer will take you back, makes it a little less stressful.

I do think it's a bit strange that thoughout the whole recruitment process there is a big emphasis on finding people that are not willing to take risks and yet being expected to quit one job before being 100% sure you are going to get another has to be the biggest risk most of us will ever take.
The prospect of being out of work and potentially losing a home etc.. is a biggy.
It would be nice if the medical could be done and dusted beforehand.

Sunday_mornin

That's great that your employer will take you back, makes it a little less stressful.

I do think it's a bit strange that thoughout the whole recruitment process there is a big emphasis on finding people that are not willing to take risks and yet being expected to quit one job before being 100% sure you are going to get another has to be the biggest risk most of us will ever take.
The prospect of being out of work and potentially losing a home etc.. is a biggy.
It would be nice if the medical could be done and dusted beforehand.

Couldn't agree more. Ideally I should love this coming week, with it being my last at an employer I've spent almost 10 good years with. Unfortunately the nagging doubt that it all could go wrong stays in the back of your mind.
Realistically I shouldn't fail the medical BUT you never do really know, I'll be glad when it's over. I think this recruitment process has aged me 10 years lol.

Last edited:
I've not long finished at Bolton and drove in most days without ever having a problem, you'll be given a temporary pass for the bit at the bottom which is for staff only. My uniform arrived quite late on, maybe ten weeks or so in and will be at your depot.

Enjoy it, the trainers are fantastic and the course is good fun. All the best.

takeaway

I've not long finished at Bolton and drove in most days without ever having a problem, you'll be given a temporary pass for the bit at the bottom which is for staff only. My uniform arrived quite late on, maybe ten weeks or so in and will be at your depot.

Enjoy it, the trainers are fantastic and the course is good fun. All the best.

Thanks for your advice mate.

Can echo what Sunday Morning said regarding aging 10 years throughout this recruitment process.. Looking forward to starting the course now.

Silv1983

Victoria for me too :)

Thank you for the advice Silv, glad I raised the question now. Will take the train (or bus..) on day one to be sure.

Did your uniform arrive to your home address prior to starting, or did you collect during training?

Thanks again, T

I went through Bolton a couple of times yesterday and noticed the car park very much in use (but full looking!) uniform arrived in dribs and drabs during the first and second month for me - but it had just changed so a bit of a backlog - so hopefully you'll have it in a few weeks from your start date.

Getting the train is preferable to getting the bus as if it's delayed or cancelled Northern cannot exactly think any less of you ;)

Look at which service gets you in 20-30 minutes before the start time - and then pick the train before that for safety. If you're massively early go get a cuppa at Morrisons. Either that or drive, but leave nice and early and have a pocket full of change for a parking meter.

Last edited:

You'll never have a problem parking in the staff car park at Bolton. Do arrive early on your first day as you'll need to locate the admin lady (Carole) who will give you a permit which you will need to put in your car immediately.

You'll see when you come into the car park the 'permits must be shown beyond this point board' this is the staff car parking area.

As someone stated a little earlier the trainers are far more tolerant of a late train than coming in your car late or catching other public transport. Chances are your trainer if coming from the Preston or Wigan direction will be on the same train in!!

Red18

So, I just got an email letting me know I passed stage 2 but..

we are currently reviewing our Traincrew requirements for Drivers in Manchester and we will contact you again shortly with a further update

Not sure what that means, other than more waiting. :(

hidden

we are currently reviewing our Traincrew requirements for Drivers in Manchester and we will contact you again shortly with a further update

I had the same email for Wigan after passing all conductor tests etc, they then withdrew the job, however I gather that the above is quite normal whilst they pool all the candidates to move forward into training etc so don't worry about it.

Wall88

Well done mate just checked and i passed too :D over the moon to clear that hurdle. More waiting now

Sunday_mornin

Well done mate just checked and i passed too :D over the moon to clear that hurdle. More waiting now

Well done mate, don't worry about the waiting now, you have done everything you can and the ball is back in Northerns court.

Just relish that phone call when it comes :)

302PS

Ha ha! Panic over then, they seem to be on the case recently don't they, hopefully find out who's passed star
stage 1 shortly then :)

Wolf

Congrats to all you guys who have passed! Ive been through and passed the whole process just before christmas and new year and the feeling you get when that final email comes through to say you've passed is amazing! Is anyone else still in talent pool for leeds driver? anyone know if theres talk of a course starting soon for leeds?

johnsonr380

Just out of interest how long did it take for people to hear after submitting their initial application. I know they say 4-6 weeks, is this an accurate timescale. I've been waiting 3 weeks, seems a lifetime. Hopefully you know what I mean, I don't mean to sound dramatic just impatient I suppose.

Thanks in advance

Louby

Just out of interest how long did it take for people to hear after submitting their initial application. I know they say 4-6 weeks, is this an accurate timescale. I've been waiting 3 weeks, seems a lifetime. Hopefully you know what I mean, I don't mean to sound dramatic just impatient I suppose.

Thanks in advance

Can be 3-4 weeks but they do say up to 7

johnsonr380

They have been mega busy in hr, hang in there and keep an eye on here, which ones did you apply for ?

I've applied for Manchester. Funny enough I received an email from them yesterday, got quite nervous, opened it and .....................Just to let you know the sifting process is taking a bit longer than expected as we've had a lot of interest. Or words to that effect.

Only my first app so not expecting miracles.

Thanks for responding

Louby

I've applied for Manchester. Funny enough I received an email from them yesterday, got quite nervous, opened it and .....................Just to let you know the sifting process is taking a bit longer than expected as we've had a lot of interest. Or words to that effect.

Only my first app so not expecting miracles.

Thanks for responding

This is my theory , I think they see if any fail at some stage and hold a few back, 4 have failed the stage 2 last few days and people have been waiting to see if they have got through, makes sense to have a back up plan! But not if your one of those waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.