• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

brel york

The addition of your regular posts on the subject is an excellent addition to the forum!

For a thick civil engineering type like myself very interesting.[/QUOTE
Do the bogies get swapped around for even wheel wear? I used to volunteer at a miniature railway and every six to twelve months we'd swap the bogies around on the carriages so the wheels wore evenly.
some of these are at the limit lol , secondary suspension packed to the max

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Do the bogies get swapped around for even wheel wear? I used to volunteer at a miniature railway and every six to twelve months we'd swap the bogies around on the carriages so the wheels wore evenly.

Thats very much a consideration when stock works a particular route on an exclusive basis, but when stock is doing all manner of routes the wear will be much more even.

jshaw

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but dates for GWR 150 cascade to Northern are:

Sat 3 Feb 150101, 150104, 150106, 150108, 150123, 150128 & 150129

Sat 17 Feb 150120

Sat 3 Mar 150121

Sat 17 Mar 150127

Sat 31 Mar 150130

Sat 14 Apr 150131

If this is the wrong thread for this please delete

coxxy

That is a considerable boost to the fleet if all them 150's arrive on 3rd Feb...

jshaw

That is a considerable boost to the fleet if all them 150's arrive on 3rd Feb...
Indeed! All will require relevant mods ect. refurb and repaint. But the northern unit cascade is clearly well underway.

Established Member
Thats very much a consideration when stock works a particular route on an exclusive basis, but when stock is doing all manner of routes the wear will be much more even.

That's a fair point, Ian. Didn't think of that!

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but dates for GWR 150 cascade to Northern are:

Sat 3 Feb 150101, 150104, 150106, 150108, 150123, 150128 & 150129

Sat 17 Feb 150120

Sat 3 Mar 150121

Sat 17 Mar 150127

Sat 31 Mar 150130

Sat 14 Apr 150131

If this is the wrong thread for this please delete

That's great, thanks for sharing. Do you have any dates for 150125/126 as well, or are they not decided yet?

coxxy

Indeed! All will require relevant mods ect. refurb and repaint. But the northern unit cascade is clearly well underway.

Oh that goes without saying.. but I would imagine I the short term they could stick half of them in service if need be.. coupled with the units that have already been cascaded it should make a bit of a difference..

When is it planned that Northern will be forming the 3 carriage 150's?

jshaw

That's a fair point, Ian. Didn't think of that!

That's great, thanks for sharing. Do you have any dates for 150125/126 as well, or are they not decided yet?
No problem, not a clue. Just found out this through a friend

jshaw

Oh that goes without saying.. but I would imagine I the short term they could stick half of them in service if need be.. coupled with the units that have already been cascaded it should make a bit of a difference..

When is it planned that Northern will be forming the 3 carriage 150's?
They have already pressed one into service. In unbranded FGW livery, 150122 I think. Causes no harm whilst they refurbish others. They can't all be done at once I suppose

Cletus

Established Member
Just at Doncaster station and a 150 has been shunted out into view, can’t ID it though.

Mr Mean

Just been on 155346 on Wakefield to huddersfield. Impressions: white paint is dreadful choice. The unit was already quite dirty. Inside it is much brighter than I remember the unrefurbished units. Huge disabled toilet and seating area. I sat in the priority seats due to legroom issues. The seat was comfy and felt more padded than I recall 155s. Floor was lino throughout. Unfortunately it was already filthy with coffee/blood (?) stains and just general dirt. Seriously, how long would it take a mop and bucket to clean?! Seats, as I said comfy, but already showing signs of fabric droop where the material is wrinkling away from the padding. The fabric also seems to attract hairs/fluff/dust as all were surprisingly grotty, particularly between seat and backrest. Dot matrix destination screen said huddersfield but not calling points, very flickery. General condition seemed ok but on closer inspection a heck of a lot of sealant between panels and seems to have almost been botched in places. Some panels already loose and sealant picked away by passengers. Overall it is a distinctly underwhelming refurb.

superkev

Established Member
Just been on 155346 on Wakefield to huddersfield. Impressions: white paint is dreadful choice. The unit was already quite dirty. Inside it is much brighter than I remember the unrefurbished units. Huge disabled toilet and seating area. I sat in the priority seats due to legroom issues. The seat was comfy and felt more padded than I recall 155s. Floor was lino throughout. Unfortunately it was already filthy with coffee/blood (?) stains and just general dirt. Seriously, how long would it take a mop and bucket to clean?! Seats, as I said comfy, but already showing signs of fabric droop where the material is wrinkling away from the padding. The fabric also seems to attract hairs/fluff/dust as all were surprisingly grotty, particularly between seat and backrest. Dot matrix destination screen said huddersfield but not calling points, very flickery. General condition seemed ok but on closer inspection a heck of a lot of sealant between panels and seems to have almost been botched in places. Some panels already loose and sealant picked away by passengers. Overall it is a distinctly underwhelming refurb.
Pile of rust so miracles prob not possible. Should have been scrapped.
Designed for someone with no legs worst dmu ever.
K

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
150124 which is ex GWR has been refurbished with the new style seat covers but the existing seats remain

Not enough chapmans for this lot or more cost cutting?

simon7929

It seems a bit hit and miss with Northern refurbs. The 156s seem quite decent. It's just a shame it's done in stages and not in one go. The saloons look good but the cabs remain untouched. The seats are still original but for me that's not an issue. I think the new seats won't be as good.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I hate the things. Yes yes indeed, get rid of them from the South, Northern can take them. They seem to be fond of other TOCs leftovers!

Established Member
It seems a bit hit and miss with Northern refurbs. The 156s seem quite decent. It's just a shame it's done in stages and not in one go. The saloons look good but the cabs remain untouched. The seats are still original but for me that's not an issue. I think the new seats won't be as good.

Indeed although in the case of a 155 your trying to polish an extreme turd.

Established Member
I hate the things. Yes yes indeed, get rid of them from the South, Northern can take them. They seem to be fond of other TOCs leftovers!

We're grateful for any extra capacity available, whether it be brand new or leftovers. We've desperately needed more carriages since the start of the previous Northern franchise back in 2004.

Is 319431 back yet after its attempt to barbecue itself last year?

Not that I'm aware of. Personally, I'd imagine 319431 won't return to Allerton until after it's been converted into Class 769, but you never know.

158758 is due to go upto Kilmarnock for a refurb today, running via the S&C. Can’t find any return workings this way if one is coming back though!

SugrFr33

158758 is due to go upto Kilmarnock for a refurb today, running via the S&C. Can’t find any return workings this way if one is coming back though!
I'm assuming 158757 is back in service, though haven't personally seen it, does that mean this is the second to last 3 car 158? And if so, will they be starting the 2 cars?

Halish Railway

Established Member
Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Northern only take other TOCs surplus to requirement trains because DfT practically force them to. Notice how the Northern ITT was worded to suggest they should take on any available 15xs and 17xs and then get a relatively small new order to make up the difference.