• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NorthernRail Trainee drivers 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richie26188

I applied for the Liverpool position about a month ago. Passed the initial stage, awaiting assessement day dates now (As im such plenty of others are to).

Rather odd they would post a similar job again? Is this normal?

Swift-Deere

Yes it seems unusual to post the same job twice so soon especially when I imagine the number of applicants the first time were high.

richie26188 was the initial test you passed the concentration test with the numbers? I applied for the first Liverpool job but didn't have to do the concentration test as I passed it on a previous application (I think it remains valid for a year) and haven't heard anything since they said I would not need to do the test again about over a mouth ago.

Mark

richie26188

Yes thats what the original test was. I was then advised sifting was complete and I should hear from them shortly regarding an assessement day. That was 3 weeks ago now

As people have mentioned on here the process seems to be a long one, so guess its just a case of sit tight and wait for a further response now.

mr double 77

Unfortunately I received a email this morning stating I was unsuccessful at the interview stage , this was for driver position at Manchester Piccadilly can anyone help regarding why this could be as thought my interview went well. I have emailed the recruitment team hopefully will get some feedback regarding the reasons why, any advice would be greatly received. Finally well done to Daniel on passing his assessment day as these positions are very hard to come by will keep on being positive.

Daniel84

Unfortunately I received a email this morning stating I was unsuccessful at the interview stage , this was for driver position at Manchester Piccadilly can anyone help regarding why this could be as thought my interview went well. I have emailed the recruitment team hopefully will get some feedback regarding the reasons why, any advice would be greatly received. Finally well done to Daniel on passing his assessment day as these positions are very hard to come by will keep on being positive.

Hi mate, hard luck on the interview, as you may know I was in the same position about 12 months ago so definitely keep applying. I requested feedback and was told to really consider why I wanted the job and that some of my answers needed a little prompting. I knew it hadn't gone as well as I'd hoped and at that stage, I probably wasn't as fully prepared as needed to be, with little recent interview practice. It's tough to give advice and believe me there will be plenty on here better qualified to offer any, but I suppose you'll be scored on how the interviewer finds your answers on the day, I can say that second time around I believe I did a better job in explaining how much I want the job and what it would mean to me, the interview felt much better, but knowing what to expect it should have, you now know that so think how you can fit your answers and experiences in to what they want and expect of you in the role and the very best of luck in any future attempts.

mr double 77

Cheers m8 now you say that dan the interview went well even though my answers were strong , there probably was a couple of questions were prompting was given before I answered , I really want this job and as a friend said they must have been impressed as to get too the interview is quite difficult , I won't be giving up and next time my answers will be straight off the bat
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any help appreciated I've emailed the recruitment team regarding feedback as to why I failed the interview for driver, I'm hoping this is correct or is there a contact number or other email address I can try.

THE158

Hi all new to this could anyone tell me what the lowest pass mark is for the visual comparison test pls thanks

Champo

I've had exactly the same thing happen with Virgin.(Customer service role). Every application since is rejected, I've even copied and pasted the original application.
I had a problem a while ago, got invited to the assessment after quite a long wait (with only 5 days notice) unfortunately had a funeral on that day which I couldn't miss. I explained this in an email but never had a response. Anyway the status on the application was changed to no show at assessment centre which makes it sound like I just didn't bother to turn up. Not heard anything since so presumably that is a black mark against me never to get the opportunity again. Thinking back I still don't know what was the right priority, following a dream, or respect to a loved one..

I had exactly the same thing happen with Virgin, every application since tells me to do one. I've even copied and pasted the original. (1st post).

Sunday_mornin

Hi all new to this could anyone tell me what the lowest pass mark is for the visual comparison test pls thanks

Unknown information but through experience a score of mid to high 40's with zero errors has seen people succeed in the past.

tpc

yesterday i had an email to complete the online dsi test which i was going to do today, but i have just had an email to take the visual test instead and to ignore previous emails. just wondering if i should take both tests just incase or ignore the first one like they said, i dont want to ignore it and find out it was another mistake and i should have done it. Has anyone else taken either of these tests and in which order were they sent to you? thanks
well after logging on i only have one option which is to take the visual test so that solves that problem.

Just been offered a position in Manchester Picc subject to medical and references. Course starts on 16th Oct i think she said.....

Thanks all

Daniel84

Fingers crossed for you....i applied back in January....takes ages.

I have been offered a position at Victoria. I too will be on the October course, subject to medical and references. I've had to hand my notice in with my current employer as I'm required to give 4 weeks, so am just keeping those fingers crossed that it all works out. All being well, I can't wait to get started...

Came home today from my first day of induction as a conductor for FTPE, for my Husband to tell me he has had a call from Northern today telling him he has got the job for Man Vic and starts on the 14th October. We really will be trains that pass in the night :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Silv1983

Came home today from my first day of induction as a conductor for FTPE, for my Husband to tell me he has had a call from Northern today telling him he has got the job for Man Vic and starts on the 14th October. We really will be trains that pass in the night :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wow congrats - a real happy ending!

Vic is a great depot for your husband to have landed - lots of good changes happening. There's also not many trainees immediately ahead of him so he'll get an instructor straight away and hopefully qualify in no more than 10 months :)

NI 271

And (for the time being at least) two companies' worth of free travel...:lol:

mr double 77

Did anybody else have a interview for position of trainee driver today for Manchester Victoria, I had one myself and think I was very fortunate as failed the recent interview for Manchester Piccadilly, hopefully it was much better as I did get feedback regarding my last interview now the wait begins

gorilladan

I had an interview today but not holding out much hope of progression :( My 6 mnths wait won't be over 'til just after the planned assessment date in early October. I failed CBI (on rules ??) back in May. My hope had been for a typically drawn-out process but with the driver course starting November it appears I'm out of luck. Best wishes to all candidates involved.
nb: Does anyone have any idea why I'd fail on the Rules & Regulations question at my CBI back in May ? I've worked in civil engineering on major PFI construction projects for big contractors (Skanska, Balfours, Eon, SSE) for past 3yrs & prior to that 7 years at county council, daily using heavy & small plant & hgv's hiabs et al. H&S /Risk Assessments/Safe systems of work/ Training etc are all part of my daily routine. Any ideas gratefully received.

takeaway

Did anybody else have a interview for position of trainee driver today for Manchester Victoria, I had one myself and think I was very fortunate as failed the recent interview for Manchester Piccadilly, hopefully it was much better as I did get feedback regarding my last interview now the wait begins

Hi Mr Double,
I also had the interview yesterday.

We should hear the result in 10-14 days - the wait is going to kill me..

Have my fingers crossed hoping it was successful! Wish you good luck too!

mr double 77

Yeah I know what you mean m8, you can say too yourself over and over again you think it went well to yourself, but it's the email wait that kills you lol, I'm a driver for Metrolink so went in work yesterday and was going over and over it in my head as I was driving, felt like I give good answers but time will tell they did say you should hear within 7 days and if not get onto HR as assessment day is early October and the course starts November, been speaking to Daniel84 he starts 14th October, hopefully I did better than my first interview best of luck m8 and let me know if you hear anything fingers a toes crossed

kingkenny

hey guys I am attending a northern recruitment event in the coming days have you got any hints or tips of what to expect? Any advice would be welcomed as I feel totally in the dark at the moment.

Thank you in advance

John

mr double 77

Only advise I can give is brush up on your northern knowledge ie routes they do, what trains they drive, stations managed how the company has improved etc, also look into role of a train driver, other ?? Will be answered based on your personal experiences hope this help and the best of luck

mr double 77

Have just received the dreaded email and finally the wait is over lol, have a assessment day, 8 October anybody else heard any news best news I've personally had in a while long way too go yet

Daniel84

Have just received the dreaded email and finally the wait is over lol, have a assessment day, 8 October anybody else heard any news best news I've personally had in a while long way too go yet

Well done mate, I knew you'd get through. Good luck with the assessment.

takeaway

Congratulations Mr Double! Just checked my email too, and also have been invited for the next round of testing on the 8th :) Fantastic news :D

Time and location TBC.. Hopefully not far from Manchester/Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.