Old Oak Common Station construction

si404

But the proposed platform numbering is south to north in the station design so GWML westbound are 1 & 2 etc.
whoops, I got that back to front.
overtaking would lead to huge dwell times for stopping services so stopping is likely to be the norm.
not necessarily - not least as they are likely to be quite long anyway. If every other HS2 train stops (which drops back about 6 minutes vs non-stopping - including at OOC which will have longer dwell times than the other intermediate due to higher numbers leaving trains) then they can fit in the gaps. And the GWML will be 4-track from OOC to Paddington (and the Elizabeth line similarly from the portal), allowing trains to non-stop without stopping trains having to wait too long for them to be overtaken.

However, while operationally possible to have stoppers and non-stoppers, it complicates things, and it definitely doesn't make transport sense to have a large proportion of HS2 trains not stop at OOC. On the GWML, it's a similar "if you stop some, you might as well stop all" thing. I imagine there will be some trains that run through the station without stopping - the Cornwall sleeper being the most likely, and maybe an early morning or late night HS2 train to get a headline time (Euston-Piccadilly in under an hour non-stop?), but usual practice will be to stop everything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
According to various sources, Old Oak Common station now has planning permission with building work scheduled to begin in June.

Ianno87

Established Member
Brain teaser: The station will open from new with 14 platforms. Is that a UK record for a new station?

The only international comparitor I can think of is Berlin Hauptbahnhof, also 14 platforms (plus U-bahn).

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Brain teaser: The station will open from new with 14 platforms. Is that a UK record for a new station?

The only international comparitor I can think of is Berlin Hauptbahnhof, also 14 platforms (plus U-bahn).
yes it is the largest new railway station in the UK on record

Last edited by a moderator:

mds86

I'm not sure how advanced the station design is but I would envisage a layout like this, starting from the south of the station:

An island platform serving the GWR main lines where trains generally don't call except in emergencies or engineering works on the other lines. I agree that stopping IET services from Bristol, South Wales, Cheltenham, Worcester and Oxford isn't required until the Old Oak area becomes a destination in its own right such as Stratford.

An island platform serving the GWR relief lines where trains generally do call, such as Heathrow Express, the remaining GWR semi fast services, and possibly the IET services from the B&H line from Newbury/Taunton where a change at Old Oak Common gives this most benefit for interchange onto HS2 and destinations to the north.

Two island platforms for Crossrail, where the outer lines are generally for trains continuing to Heathrow or Reading, and the inner pair of lines for terminating trains.

A junction to the west of the station would allow these relief lines to join the mains and Crossrail/existing relief lines, possibly by a flyover/dive-under junction. This would essentially be the start of the Paddington throat and from here to the east, 3 pairs of tracks would run up until the Crossrail lines go into tunnel, giving Crossrail exclusive tracks between Old Oak Common and Paddington.

hwl

Established Member
I'm not sure how advanced the station design is but ...
The design is simple: one platform island with 2 faces for track either sides e.g. 4 islands one each for down main / up main / down relief / up relief.
The concept is effectively the same as the Charing Cross lines at London Bridge where trains alternate between faces on the same island.

The initial Crossrail Paddington/ Westbourne terminators /turnback will be extended westward to OOC with turnback arrangement between the relief lines just west of OOC. Hence plenty (12tph) of empty Crossrail trains for GW/HS2 passengers to get on. The CR timetable sees every other train turn back at Paddington hence the alternative face model work well at OOC.

The debate is around whether to build the 2 fast main islands given the alternate faces approaches requires all or nothing stopping.

Paddington may well be a less inviting place for interchange for GW to CR once the initial 12tph that start empty at Paddington already have seats taken at OOC instead...

D365

Established Member
In short: Two pairs of island platforms for the fast and relief lines respectively.

Jpeg

I originally intended the thread to be related to the construction events of the station. I’ve updated the title to make it clearer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that any ideas/suggestions or other speculative posts should be posted in the Speculative Ideas section please.

This thread is in the infrastructure section and is to discuss the construction of Old Oak Common station.

Thanks.