• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ordsall Chord

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Special ceremony announced for Sunday 10 December at Manchester Victoria when Mr Maynard will join rail industry colleagues to travel across the Ordsall Chord to Manchester Oxford Road on a Northern service. Limited availability commemorative tickets will be available to passengers riding the service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Has anything actually run over the chord yet? Getting a bit close to the launch day not to have sent a few empty unit over the route.

Has anything actually run over the chord yet? Getting a bit close to the launch day not to have sent a few empty unit over the route.
Nope.
However there was a road/rail vehicle on it the other day.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

First couple of trains seem to have navigated the new chord today, according to RTT.
These were a Newton Heath-Oxford Road ECS, and a Victoria-Oxford Road service (goes back to Leeds via the Calder Valley).
Well and truly open.

Bovverboy

Established Member
An earlier ECS move is showing - 5O72 0724 Newton Heath to Oxford Road, which then forms the 0808 Oxford Road to Liverpool stopper.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y58228/2017/12/10/advanced
5O72 is currently (i.e. up to 03/12/17) scheduled to reverse at Salford Crescent.

There is a slightly later ECS move showing as well, 5H83 0737 Newton Heath to Stockport Carriage Maintenance Depot, but history says that this working rarely operates, and when it does it can go at pretty well any time.

5O72 appears to have consisted of 156426+142054, and it ran approximately 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

Further to what I had said in the linked post, 5O72 actually provides the stock for both the 0808 CLC stopper (today 142054) and the 0845 (156426).

5H83 also seems to have operated today (rather contrary to my own prediction!) but I don't know which unit(s) formed it.

Altfish

First public train was the 0840 MCV to MCO, 150142 led with 158909 trailing.
150142 had a fancy wrap round vinyl to cab but apart from Golden Tickets didn't seem to be any special 'opening' at Victoria.
Manchester Evening News was there, I got interviewed on return journey.

Bovverboy

Established Member
1042 Vic-Ox Rd (0908 ex-Leeds) was 150141+150224. Opposite way round on the 1055 Ox Rd-Leeds, of course.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Out of interest in what way is the bridge "asymmetric" as seems to be something mentioned of interest? It looks symmetrical to me.
I asked this a while back, Snowball thought it's because the main girders have a reducing cross section, but they're also not parallel with one another.

snowball

Established Member
I asked this a while back, Bald Rick said the main girders are not parallel with one another, and they also have a reducing cross section.
The second half of that is right, the first half is wrong. Seen in plan the sides of the bridge **are** parallel. (The bridge is straight but has extra width to accommodate the curved track.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

snowball

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The OHLE portals on the approach tracks (and Castlefield viaduct) also add to the asymmetric appearance.
They lean inwards at the top in a way I've not seen before.
I'm not sure if that is clever engineering, or for cosmetic purposes to minimise the visual impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.