• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster to Gatwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Presumably the Express or not-Express fare will be selected based on the entry/exit gateline used at Victoria. Is there any scope for problems there? (I don't know Victoria that well).

I believe all customers to London Victoria will be charged the Express fare.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewkeith5

Yes, there goes me thinking it was going to be half the return fare!

It sure seems like Govia have got a ruddy good deal out of the whole thing and TfL have really not done well at all....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All customers will be charged the Express fare.

Where does it say that and why are there non-express fares then?

talldave

Established Member
I do hope Govia aren't made solely responsible for the necessary upgrades to the ticket barriers at Gatwick. They're so incompetent they can't even set the barriers to the correct times for Off Peak tickets. And the barriers are manned by Govia (un)trained staff who don't understand the concept of their own Off Peak tickets either. Very depressing.

I see there's no mention of Anytime or Off Peak fares? What's that all about?

Anyway, for anyone who cares about not wasting money, the Travelcard and BZ6 ticket solution is still the cheaper way to travel on Gatwick Express, and you get a day's travel in London thrown in - for less than the PAYG fare to Victoria.

JaJaWa

Established Member
I thought that was what the £14 peak/£8off peak fares were for. I'll be mightily peeved if I'm going to have to pay express prices for a trip on a 377/1!

I didn't see that. That's perhaps changed then.

Be3G

Established Member
I also notice that my premonition about a lack of capping might be correct – presumably it's something that would've been flaunted in the press release if it'd be available.

plcd1

It sure seems like Govia have got a ruddy good deal out of the whole thing and TfL have really not done well at all....

Why would TfL be bothered about getting any sort of deal? They don't operate the services involved and this is largely a political move because of pressure from the London Assembly, Gatwick Airport and various MPs. You could argue that Southern / TSGN don't care either because they're on a management contract and take no revenue risk. Therefore it's the DfT who are surely calling the tune here hence why there's no great saving nor any move to simplify the range of fares. Oyster / CPC is simply another option amongst many to travel to Gatwick and intermediate stns beyond Zone 6.

If I'm missing something then very happy to be corrected.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not sure a 10p saving is a great encouragement to use contactless or Oyster. A £2+ saving to East Croydon is though.

mattdickinson

Not sure a 10p saving is a great encouragement to use contactless or Oyster. A £2+ saving to East Croydon is though.

Convenience rather than cost is surely the main influence for the Gatwick extension.

What is also interesting is that it is now pretty clear that TfL will be the only provider of contactless EMV travel in the South East, as any one gateline can only serve contactless EMV transactions to one processor (ITSO and Oyster transactions could if needed be sent to different processors depending on the card)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Elsewhere, if a Travelcard is held, you only pay the extension fare. Will the same apply here?

How are they able to get away with charging a different "Express" fare? I don't see any provision entitling them to do this, and I suspect the only way they can achieve this is by differentiating based on gateline at Victoria (which is not going to work all the time).

Also, does this mean the maximum fare will increase?
The DfT yet again showing us whose side they're on.
Indeed <(

Quakkerillo

Currently, the only train I can find that does run from the dedicated Gatwick Express platforms that also stops at Gatwick Airport is the 23:32 SN service to Brighton. All the other ones shouldn't have any payment issues.
This is assuming that a [VIC GTW EXPRESS] - GTW is differently priced from the [VIC OTHER] - GTW, and that for all other stations [VIC GTW EXPRESS] prices will be the same.

ert47

Quakkerillo:2357278 said:
Currently, the only train I can find that does run from the dedicated Gatwick Express platforms that also stops at Gatwick Airport is the 23:32 SN service to Brighton. All the other ones shouldn't have any payment issues.
This is assuming that a [VIC GTW EXPRESS] - GTW is differently priced from the [VIC OTHER] - GTW, and that for all other stations [VIC GTW EXPRESS] prices will be the same.

The timetable switch will change that when more services will be extended to Brighton.

I've been through Victoria during the night when the Three Bridges trains have been departing from the GATex platforms.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The platform staff always open the gate to platforms 9 to 12 when a Southern train uses platforms 13 and 14.

On the subject of Oyster it is a shame that Reigate doesn't join the stations included.

Based on the fares shown, there are considerable savings to be had between combining singles from Redhill to East Croydon with Oyster 1-6 daily capping, particularly if one or both journeys are outside the Oyster peak relative to the existing paper travelcard.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Most likely if you touch in at Gatwick and touch out at Victoria you will be charged the " super speedy non-stop Surrey Aerodrome express" fare, even if you caught a stopper.

Probably easier if you are going from Gatwick to London is to change at Clapham and head to Waterloo/Vauxhall, to see the system try and work that one out.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Convenience rather than cost is surely the main influence for the Gatwick extension.

What is also interesting is that it is now pretty clear that TfL will be the only provider of contactless EMV travel in the South East, as any one gateline can only serve contactless EMV transactions to one processor (ITSO and Oyster transactions could if needed be sent to different processors depending on the card)
If that's the case, why don't they charge more for Oyster and contactless. After all your then paying for convenience.

Quakkerillo

Most likely if you touch in at Gatwick and touch out at Victoria you will be charged the " super speedy non-stop Surrey Aerodrome express" fare, even if you caught a stopper.

Probably easier if you are going from Gatwick to London is to change at Clapham and head to Waterloo/Vauxhall, to see the system try and work that one out.

I'd just assume they'd make Victoria into two stations
(1) Most of it "Victoria station"
(2) Gates for Platforms 13&14 "Victoria station GatEx"

Price from "Victoria station GatEx" are the same to/from any station with Oyster as from "Victoria station", except for Gatwick, which will be more expensive.
Because that would be easily to program into the system / gateline.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Wait, wait, wait, wait, stop. The Oyster single fare from London Victoria to Gatwick Airport will be £19.80? Despite the fact that an Anytime Return is £34.90!?

A single from City Thameslink is still £10.20 - I wonder what the Oyster fare for that will be...

Last edited:

Stats

I'd just assume they'd make Victoria into two stations
(1) Most of it "Victoria station"
(2) Gates for Platforms 13&14 "Victoria station GatEx"

Price from "Victoria station GatEx" are the same to/from any station with Oyster as from "Victoria station", except for Gatwick, which will be more expensive.
Because that would be easily to program into the system / gateline.

The gates on the the GE platforms always have been separate from the rest of the station. The Key registers touches at GE platforms as London Victoria GX and everywhere else as Victoria Network Rail

Clip

Established Member
Wait, wait, wait, wait, stop. The Oyster single fare from London Victoria to Gatwick Airport will be £19.80? Despite the fact that an Anytime Return is £34.90!?

A single from City Thameslink is still £10.20 - I wonder what the Oyster fare for that will be...

Wait, wait, wait, wait, stop. The Oyster PAYG fare on Gatwick express will be £19.80 as mentioned in the document posted

Gatwick Express single journey on pay as you go will be £19.80. The current single fare when purchased at London Gatwick or London Victoria is £19.90.

A London terminals to Gatwick will be

From the New Year, many customers will be able to benefit from cheaper fares. Currently, a single journey paper peak-time ticket costs £15.40 from London Terminals to Gatwick Airport (excluding Gatwick Express). With pay as you go, a rush hour trip will cost £14.00 and £8.00 off-peak.

So Off peak it will indeed be cheaper than the Thameslink fare but not during peak which is quite good for Thameslink as savvy people will get that instead of paying the higher Oyster peak time fare. Unless they are forced to scrap it but I doubt it.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Wait, wait, wait, wait, stop. The Oyster PAYG fare on Gatwick express will be £19.80 as mentioned in the document posted

However it is unclear how Oyster PAYG will differentiate between those who travel on a Gatwick Express branded train and those who travel on a Southern branded train.

Either the GatEx platforms have a different gateline coding or the whole of Victoria gateline will assume you travelled on GatEx.

There are going to be issues whichever way you do it; it's common enough for Southern branded trains to use the GatEx platforms, and also it's unclear what will happen to the huge numbers of people who use Oyster Travelcards and extension tickets. But if you make the whole station the higher price then people will be overpaying if they use Southern branded services.
So Off peak it will indeed be cheaper than the Thameslink fare but not during peak which is quite good for Thameslink as savvy people will get that instead of paying the higher Oyster peak time fare. Unless they are forced to scrap it but I doubt it.

Given Thameslink, Southern and Gatwick Express are just sub-brands of the same TOC, I can't help but wonder how much longer Thameslink-only fares will last...

andrewkeith5

However it is unclear how Oyster PAYG will differentiate between those who travel on a Gatwick Express branded train and those who travel on a Southern branded train.

Either the GatEx platforms have a different gateline coding or the whole of Victoria gateline will assume you travelled on GatEx.

There are going to be issues whichever way you do it; it's common enough for Southern branded trains to use the GatEx platforms, and also it's unclear what will happen to the huge numbers of people who use Oyster Travelcards and extension tickets. But if you make the whole station the higher price then people will be overpaying if they use Southern branded services.

Given Thameslink, Southern and Gatwick Express are just sub-brands of the same TOC, I can't help but wonder how much longer Thameslink-only fares will last...

I think the first part of your question has been answered at least three times already.... The gate lines at Victoria are separate, and when they are used by the others services the gates are usually either open or passage is allowed into the other gate line. That's how the gatwick express gate line manages to reject the southern only, thameslink only, not underground etc. Tickets but the other barrier doesn't.

As for thameslink only tickets, I think the franchise spec requires that they go within a year or two, but they'd be stupid not to replace them with route limited tickets as thameslink trains are practically empty in the off peak.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The gate lines at Victoria are separate, and when they are used by the others services the gates are usually either open or passage is allowed into the other gate line. That's how the gatwick express gate line manages to reject the southern only, thameslink only, not underground etc. Tickets but the other barrier doesn't.

Which is all fine and dandy when we're talking about paper tickets. If the barrier won't let you through with a valid ticket you can ask the lovely assistant to let you out.

It's a bit more tricky with a smartcard though. What will happen to Oyster Travelcard users who are using paper extension tickets, either to Gatwick or beyond (e.g. Three Bridges, Brighton)? What will happen when there is disruption and you go through the wrong ticket gateline?

talldave

Established Member
I think the first part of your question has been answered at least three times already.... The gate lines at Victoria are separate, and when they are used by the others services the gates are usually either open or passage is allowed into the other gate line. That's how the gatwick express gate line manages to reject the southern only, thameslink only, not underground etc. Tickets but the other barrier doesn't.

But that's not the situation at Gatwick, so how will that work?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Because it's also more convenient for them and they get to track your movements.
If it's more expensive they can track your movements and also if it's cheaper they can to. After all it was stated price doesn't come into it, it's convenience.

dzug2

You only need the different calculation at one end of the route, not both?

Yes

At Gatwick the card will be charged with an arbitrary fare which may be quite high - though it doesn't have to be

At the other end whether it be Victoria or elsewhere the difference from the correct fare will either be refunded or charged

andrewkeith5

Which is all fine and dandy when we're talking about paper tickets. If the barrier won't let you through with a valid ticket you can ask the lovely assistant to let you out.

It's a bit more tricky with a smartcard though. What will happen to Oyster Travelcard users who are using paper extension tickets, either to Gatwick or beyond (e.g. Three Bridges, Brighton)? What will happen when there is disruption and you go through the wrong ticket gateline?

Is it not the case that all barriers in Zone 1 are programmed to accept z1 travelcards? The gates will need to be programmed as Z1 in order for intermediate stations to work.

That's the only assumption that can really be made at the moment unless there is an insider who knows how the system will be programmed on the forum.

Another thought I've just had is that there are a number of peak trains that don't stop at Gatwick - it's not likely to be a problem if these are platformed into the express platforms if required, and the few who are likely to change can be refunded later.

Status
Not open for further replies.