Paddington Station 24/7 - Channel 5

Discussion in 'Memorabilia, Media & Publications' started by GodAtum, 25 Sep 2017.

1. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Tonight'sepisode was quite interesting from the almost spy thriller hype with the roof trespasser to the failed EMU.

Is it wrong of me to chuckle about the IET failing to beat the Paddington-Reading timing set by an HST in 1988? ;)

2. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

As they mentioned, There are alot more speed restrictions now then there was. I expect the slow 40mph and then 50mph crawl out of Paddington probably was the reason they failed, considering the limit used to be 100mph from Royal Oak years ago.

3. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Progress. :(

4. hexagon789

That and ATP interventions.

5. LondonJohn

LondonJohn Member

Just caught up on Episodes 2 and 3 and it’s a bit alarming that the security seems to be pretty lax/nobody knows or claims to know what is happening.

Whilst this is clearly pre the Salisbury incident, the way that they treated the unknown chemical situation was a farce treating it like a pile of dogs mess that you don’t want to get on your shoes.

As it was genuine, surely someone somewhere should be able to say oh yes I put that there for xxxx.

Secondly the roof intruder. Was he or was he not staff, again station manager not initially knowing if the second person was staff.

If it was a terrorist with a bomb chemical or otherwise the effects could Unthinkable. On an equally sad note the tv presenter Mark Speight committed suicide on the roof of Paddington. Makes a mockery of see it say it sorted as it’s like an episode of Keystone Cops with these 2scenarios.

6. Requeststop

Requeststop Member

They keep mentioning the "Western Route". I suppose that is the route out of Paddington and the 'Eastern Route' are the lines into Paddington. I know I'm totally wrong. Are they meaning the 'Western' routes in and out of London?

7. hexagon789

I assume they mean most of the GWR system as they mention "the Great Western route to Bristol, the West Country and South Wales".

8. ShwervinMervin

ShwervinMervin Member

Not been watching that! Need to...

9. hexagon789

Should be available on Demand 5 ;)

10. GodAtum

GodAtum Established Member

Looking forward to next week's royal cock-up. I bet that wouldnt happen to the Queen!

11. GodAtum

I wonder what gift he gt from the Princess?

12. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

I am quite disappointed in the lack of mental health assistance messages during the section dealing with the fatality.

Given the in-depth nature of the segment, I reckon a small static message at the bottom of the screen throughout the whole thing would have been appropriate — but not even a message on the credits nor advert breaks!

13. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

There was a voiceover during the end credits on the live broadcast.

14. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

Ah, then unfortunately the My5 web stream is lagging behind the broadcast's capability. :(

15. alxndr

alxndr Member

My5 either takes a while to show subtitles or they aren't available, which I find frustrating as I much prefer watching with subtitles when I can. BBC iPlayer manages to display subtitles immediately after upload in my experience.

16. GodAtum

I dont see how not having the loco will delay them checking the sleeper carriages. It cant take 8 hours to hook up the loco!

Anyone who nicks or sabotages railway equipment should be charged with terrorism offences.

17. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Not a little bit extreme? How is it terrorism....

18. ANDREW_D_WEBB

ANDREW_D_WEBB Member

Wouldn’t make “exciting” TV if it was a simple loan of the loco to propel the HST into the station!

19. GodAtum

they are willing to disrupt hundreds of thousands of people, this is more then mere criminal damage.

20. hexagon789

I certainly think the penalties need to be more severe. Considering the thousands of pounds in damages and all the disruption and delay to passengers, something needs to be done to further discourge these wanton acts of vandalism from occurring.

21. Andyh82

Andyh82 Member

I did think all that business about the Night Riviera being in doubt was entirely fabricated. The train broke down in the morning peak, the class 57 was needed to pull the sleeper at 8pm. All the people interviewed who said they were short of time sounded like they were talking in general when setting up the sleeper rather than specifically because the loco was late.

22. hexagon789

I get what you mean; surely tidying, cleaning and setting up the sleeping/day coaches isn't really affected by the prescence/lack of a loco?

23. Warwick

Warwick On Moderation

You'd have thought that within five minutes of that train breaking down someone would have been on the telephone to Reading to say "Get that locomotive here sharpish". If the train had been resurrected then simply send the locomotive back rather then let the train sit there for an hour or more whilst a mechanic has a poke around it before deciding that there's nothing that can be done.
    The guy talking about the cable theft was saying that no-one thought to call the police whilst an angle grinder was being used on the fence. I expect that anyone noticing would assume that they were railway people doing work. The perpetrators were probably dressed in orange suits and no-one takes any notice of people in orange suits around a railway.
    The bloke in the control office at Paddington. "Look at that man's face, there's anger there". What does he expect, singing and dancing after being told the train's been cancelled and there's an hour before the next one? Never mind, here's a chocolate bar, that'll make it right.

24. GodAtum

GWR has one of the worst routes I've ever commuted on. The Marlow branch is just so unreliable, GWR have had to put taxis to Maidenhead on many occasions.

25. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

"Terrorism - the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."
    There was no "use of violence". Nor was it done "in the pursuit of political aims".

26. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

I wonder how many people actually subscribe to that premium rate lottery thing in the ad breaks to win a weekend away by GWR, when they've just spent 40 minutes being shown all the things that can go wrong.

27. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Seeing Penzance makes me wish I was going on holiday :(

28. hexagon789

Well I've no tried it yet, and your post makes a good point as to why one should consider it very carefully first! ;)

29. Warwick

Warwick On Moderation

The weather's been terrible here to-day.

30. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Ah well, its been terrible here as well, so I wouldn't have missed out on anything !