• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places that need a metro system

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

Sedua or Seduc are often used as shorthand by various councils (I'll leave you to work out what they stand for...).

*mindblown*
I'll get to work on the Preston map now. I think it'll be fun;)

EDIT-Here's the first draft of the Kirkham & Hospital Line, it will probably be extended to Garstang via Barton so keep your eyes open :)
I know it's not the best as well, but I hope you do like it.
prestonmetroline1-1.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Batman

I know Walsall is already mentioned in Centro's plans for the 5 W's line for the Midland Metro and there is a strategic plan for a line along the route of the number 51 bus route from Birmingham City Centre to Walsall town centre.

But since everyone else is doing it, I'll join in the fun by adding two more lines to my home town of Walsall.

1) The line from Walsall should be extended from the town centre to Bloxwich, with the following stops:

Walsall Central
Day Street
Birchills East
Forrest Lane
Leamore
Pinfold
Bloxwich High Street
Bloxwich Sandbank
Sneyd Lane
Mossley
Bloxwich North (for the Chase Line)

A seperate line should run from Walsall to Brownhills with the following stops:

Walsall Central
Lichfield Street
Arboretum
Melish Road
Aldridge South
Tynings Lane
Aldridge Central
Leighswood
Lazy Hill
Salters Road
Walsall Wood
Shire Oak
Brownhills High Street
Brownhills Central

My logic is that it brings the metro to all of the 6 main population centres in the Walsall borough. The town centre, Willenhall and Darlaston are included in Centro's plans, and my proposals take the metro to Bloxwich, Aldridge and Brownhills.

Feel free to comment on them.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also, why "Poole" and not "Bournemouth"? When people refer to both as one entity and can only be bothered to say one the town of choice is Bournemouth...

Poole had 800 years of history that Bournemouth didn't have.

Ivo

Established Member
EDIT-Here's the first draft of the Kirkham & Hospital Line, it will probably be extended to Garstang via Barton so keep your eyes open :)
I know it's not the best as well, but I hope you do like it.

Oh no - not more Comic Sans! :lol:

I have to say, it does look good, if a tad ambitious. I might have to make one quickly before going to bed.

--------------------

Here we are then. It's not exactly perfect, but what do you all make of it? I don't know why all the place names are in bold though :roll:

Attachments

• SS Metro (Circuit).png
    SS Metro (Circuit).png
    24.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Firesprite

Poole had 800 years of history that Bournemouth didn't have.

It's actually a lot more than that. There has been a settlement at Poole since the iron age. Furthermore it is where the Romans landed in the 1st century for the conquest of Britain,
Canute also landed here for his conquest in 1015.

Badger

Hmm, seems to fit here better than where I posted it. It's centred around Wolverhampton. Not being from Walsall I haven't done what was suggested above, nor have I done much East of Birmingham as I don't know the area extremely well.

http://bb.ohsk.net/uploads/railwaymap1.png

The basics:

Midland Metro line 2: use the Oxford-Worcester-Wolverhampton line (Wolverhampton to Dudley section) which, bar Oxford Way and slight other bits, is largely unbuilt on.
Heavy rail from Wolverhampton to Dudley.
Heavy rail from Dudley to Birmingham, via Halesowen, Old Hill, Longbridge.
Reopen the Harbourne Railway, serving areas of Edgbaston.
Camp hill line!
Castle Bromwich stations, curving around to Walsall via Aldridge.
More interchanges. Reopening Monmore Green station provides an interchange between the Metro and the Stour Valley line.

It's not great, but hey.

References: http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/regional_map.php

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

Hmm, seems to fit here better than where I posted it. It's centred around Wolverhampton. Not being from Walsall I haven't done what was suggested above, nor have I done much East of Birmingham as I don't know the area extremely well.

http://bb.ohsk.net/uploads/railwaymap1.png

The basics:

Midland Metro line 2: use the Oxford-Worcester-Wolverhampton line (Wolverhampton to Dudley section) which, bar Oxford Way and slight other bits, is largely unbuilt on.
Heavy rail from Wolverhampton to Dudley.
Heavy rail from Dudley to Birmingham, via Halesowen, Old Hill, Longbridge.
Reopen the Harbourne Railway, serving areas of Edgbaston.
Camp hill line!
Castle Bromwich stations, curving around to Walsall via Aldridge.
More interchanges. Reopening Monmore Green station provides an interchange between the Metro and the Stour Valley line.

It's not great, but hey.

References: http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/regional_map.php

Extend from Five Ways to Bournville and you're sorted.
EDIT-Preston Metro complete!
prestonmetroline1-2.png

...with future tram links as well, we may get a decent service in this city.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Well, you can't fault the effort...

I would like to suggest the conversion of Manchester bus route 43 to Metro (not Metrolink though) operation and a resulting reduction on bus operation on the overly-busy Wilmslow Road corridor. I would suggest a stopping pattern as follows:

Manchester Airport current station site
Wythenshawe current bus station site
Hollyhedge Park junction of Hollyhedge Road and Styal Road
Gatley current station site; station to close
East Didsbury current station site; consideration given to station closure
Didsbury Village proposed Metrolink stop site
Christie Hospital junction of Wilmslow Road and Cotton Lane
Owens Park junction of Wilmslow Road, Moseley Road and Wilbraham Road
Dickenson Road junction of Wilmslow Road and Dickenson Road
Whitworth Park junction of Oxford Road, Wilmslow Road and Moss Lane East
University South junction of Oxford Road and Ackers Street
University North junction of Oxford Road and Booth Street
Whitworth Street current site of Oxford Road station; consideration given to renaming of Oxford Road station to Whitworth Street
St Peter's Square current Metrolink stop
Arndale junction of Corporation Street and Market Street
Victoria current station site

martinsh

Established Member
Not seen any proposals yet for Derby.

I don’t have time to draw detailed maps, and list stop locations etc, but here is my suggestion

Central (common) section Rail station, Westfield Centre, Victoria Street

West to Mackworth and Mickleover via old GNR rail line (including bridge over Friargate), and A38 (branches split at Kingsway)
North to Allestree via Kedleston Road and University.
South to Sinfin via parallel to Birmignham rly line (including flyover & interchange at Peartree) and Sinfin Lane
East to Chaddesden & Oakwood (not sure about route of this one).

This would be a light rail ine with reserved and on street running, except for tunnel under Westfield Centre.

Fleetname : RamTram (*)
Livery : oliver green, orange & white
Service frequency : Mackworth & Mickleover 10 mins (5 mins on combined section), all other routes 7/8 mins.

(*) – my fantasy bus operation for Derby uses the name RamBus

Nonsense

Extend from Five Ways to Bournville and you're sorted.
EDIT-Preston Metro complete!
prestonmetroline1-2.png

...with future tram links as well, we may get a decent service in this city.

Extend that to Heysham/Morecambe and you might just prise me from the M6 for my commute to Leyland.

Badger

Of course, it wouldn't be too much effort to link your system up to the NET and create an East Midlands Tramlink.

Extend that a bit further and you could join up the Midland Metro and NET. :lol: If there was some way to have normal street running speeds and then semi-fast speeds in between large areas. I'm thinking Derby to Nottingham, then the grand central to Leicester then Rugby, then Rugby to Coventry to Birmingham to Wolverhampton.

...what, it could happen... ...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Extend that a bit further and you could join up the Midland Metro and NET. :lol: If there was some way to have normal street running speeds and then semi-fast speeds in between large areas. I'm thinking Derby to Nottingham, then the grand central to Leicester then Rugby, then Rugby to Coventry to Birmingham to Wolverhampton.

...what, it could happen... ...

Well atleast one Interurban in the US managed 100mph on uprated tram power supplies (650V I believe)
Although doing that with modern crash standards would likely require dual voltage capability or lots and lots of composites.

VTPreston_Tez

Extend that to Heysham/Morecambe and you might just prise me from the M6 for my commute to Leyland.

So here will be the three lines:
Red-Newton to Runshaw, limited service to Blackrod/Horwich
Blue-Kirkham & Wesham to Hospital, limited service up to Morecambe/Heysham
Yellow-Lea to Heysham Port Express

Nonsense

So here will be the three lines:
Red-Newton to Runshaw, limited service to Blackrod/Horwich
Blue-Kirkham & Wesham to Hospital, limited service up to Morecambe/Heysham
Yellow-Lea to Heysham Port Express

Maybe tie in to my fantasy Morecambe Bay transport solution.

Two primary corridors that cross at Lancaster Bus Station. Heysham to Morecambe then down the old alignment to to cross the river to the city centre. A spur would run up to Lancaster station reinstated platform six. Then across town to serve the Infirmary, University of Cumbria, and finally the University of Lancaster.

Extending East from Lancaster, the Metro would reach Caton and Ingleton, and to the North, the service would reach Carnforth,

Northwest from the Heysham port terminal, the metro would cross the Bay Bridge to serve Barrow town centre.

Smelly_Diesel

I can't help thinking that the Deeside / Chester / Ellesmere Port - area needs
some form of something to connect it together. At the mo, everything goes
through Chester station but I think something should be done with the former
cross Chester line that passes through Blacon (And not that far from the Countess hospital which could be an advantage) past Total Fitness and then into Newton and ends up passing under the A41. Maybe somehow, someone could think of how to go to areas like the Lache and Saltney, the football stadium down in Bumpers Lane, Also for the planned development housing on the
old Saighton army camp and extending up into Ellesmere Port.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them greatly.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps a DLR level metro system stretching from Bolton to Manchester Airport across the centre of Manchester and then down the Wilmslow Road corridor.

Unfortunately that would require what amounts to the dreaded Picc-Vic tunnel.

martinsh

Established Member
Here are another couple

Cheltenham / Gloucester
One light rail route : Quedgeley - Lower Tuffley - St Pauls - Gloucester centre / station - hosptial - Longlevens - Churchdown - Hatherley - Cheltenham station - Chesltenham centre - Prestbury

Can run parallel to NR line Churchdown - Cheltenham and then old trackbed into town centre. Use some sort of tram/train type stock so can share with GWR if they want to entend.

Yarmouth / Lowestoft

One light rail route : Hemsby - Ormesby - Caister - Yarmouth - Southtown - Gorleston - Hopton - Gunton - Lowestoft - Carlton Colville

Not sure how much of the old trackbed can be used for this. Will require new river crossing at Yarmouth.

Anyone got suggestions for Leicester or the Potteries ?

VTPreston_Tez

Maybe tie in to my fantasy Morecambe Bay transport solution.

Two primary corridors that cross at Lancaster Bus Station. Heysham to Morecambe then down the old alignment to to cross the river to the city centre. A spur would run up to Lancaster station reinstated platform six. Then across town to serve the Infirmary, University of Cumbria, and finally the University of Lancaster.

Extending East from Lancaster, the Metro would reach Caton and Ingleton, and to the North, the service would reach Carnforth,

Northwest from the Heysham port terminal, the metro would cross the Bay Bridge to serve Barrow town centre.

Are we going for a UK metro here? Kirkham, Heysham, and Runshaw for boundaries are fine.

VTPreston_Tez

Well the average speed of the Metrolink still beats Megabus.... :)

The Metrolink's slow, needs better acceleration between Deansgate and Cornbrook, also a few services that miss out certain stations.
Just my two cents quarter dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.