• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyBarry

I'm having a discussion on another forum about the intended location of this at King's Cross. Personally I think it's an entirely fictitious location like 221b Baker Street, and doesn't bear any relation to the real platforms 9 and 10 (which aren't in the main station). J. K. Rowling has been quoted as saying she was thinking of Euston; but platforms 9 and 10 are separated by tracks there, as they are at King's Cross.

The current "Platform 9 3/4" sign is ingenious, but clearly not in the location originally intended. Are there any theories about this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
To me it's between Platforms 9 and 10 at Kings Cross, nothing said about Euston or any signs put up can change that for me.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think the reality was that she plucked a number out of the air, and didn't care that much at the time of writing the first book about the accuracy of such things.

transmanche

Established Member
(I thought that she was thinking of St Pancras, rather than Euston.)

In any event, it's currently located between platforms 8 & 9. But when Kings Cross platforms are eventually renumbered (and someone on this forum suggested that would be when the area is next resignalled), it will be between platforms 9 & 10

bluenoxid

Established Member
There is nothing suggesting that the gate between Platform 3 and 4 does not shift over to another part of the station or even a separate station (such as St Pancras as teleportation over various realms is a reasonable expectation)

When there are large events, it is suggested that additional platforms can be brought into use such as for the Quidditch World Cup.

GuyBarry

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Harry-Potter-Platform-9Three-Quarters/

“I wrote Platform 9 3/4 when I was living in Manchester, and I wrongly visualised the platforms, and I was actually thinking of Euston, so anyone who's actually been to the real platforms 9 and 10 in King's Cross will realise they don't bear a great resemblance to the platforms 9 and 10 as described in the book. So that's just me coming clean, there. I was in Manchester; I couldn't check.” (J.K. Rowling in a 2001 BBC interview)

Railsigns

Established Member
At Wellington station in New Zealand, Platform 9 3/4 is located between Platforms 6 and 7.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where was platform 9 3/4 filmed?

The main trainshed at Kings Cross and I believe that they used the space between platforms 4 and 5, they also used the old footbridge that was taken out some years ago in earlier films. Though I noticed for the last film the exterior shown was that of St Pancras (not that I blame them, it's more photogenic).

mr_moo

A completely random aside point for you, just for a laugh:

I was one of the Olympic "Travel Champions", working on Paddington station. I had a group of foreign girls (20ish olds) come up to me and "Where is the harry potter trolley and platforms and stuff?"
Me: On Kings Cross station. This is Paddington.
Them: Oh cr*p, we have just come from there!

I kid you not... :)

fairliered

The platform most like platform 9 3/4 was probably the old platform 11A at Glasgow Central, which was through the archway at the end of platform 11. Not ideal when you were hurrying for a train. However, I never caught a train there that went over Glenfinnan Viaduct!

<D <D <D <D <D <D <D

Please do not mention that "THING" anyone who has ever worked through or at Kings Cross will tell you what the biggest annoyance is!!

You could have the OHLE down, a total signalling blackout, and an Alien Spaceship landed at Finsbury Park, but there would STILL be someone hastleing you to find "Harry Potter"

12CSVT

Established Member
I think they used platforms 4 and 5 (and the wall in between) for filming.

DXMachina

A completely random aside point for you, just for a laugh:

I was one of the Olympic "Travel Champions", working on Paddington station. I had a group of foreign girls (20ish olds) come up to me and "Where is the harry potter trolley and platforms and stuff?"
Me: On Kings Cross station. This is Paddington.
Them: Oh cr*p, we have just come from there!

I kid you not... :)

Should have shown them platform 7 & 3/16ths where Paddington Bear arrives on the Peruvian Riviera Express

Temple Meads

Established Member
<D <D <D <D <D <D <D

Please do not mention that "THING" anyone who has ever worked through or at Kings Cross will tell you what the biggest annoyance is!!

You could have the OHLE down, a total signalling blackout, and an Alien Spaceship landed at Finsbury Park, but there would STILL be someone hastleing you to find "Harry Potter"

I had to :lol: at that post!

SprinterMan

Established Member
I cannot find the words to explain how much I loathe the concept of this magical platform. I remember the first time I was using KGX; I was going from Plymouth to Kings Lynn during the major refurbishment their and I was looking for platform 9 to get the train to Lynn. It was late at night and I was wondering through the miles of scaffolding to get to the outlying platforms 9/10/11. When I got there, I was over the moon that their was no pillar, only an FCC display board. The place could not exist. There was a Harry Potter craze at my school at the time, and I remember telling my associates that it can't be possible, and they would have none of it. Then they put that bloody mural in. There are always some drooling Harry Potter fans looking in awe at it, talking loudly about it or asking staff where it is. It's half a trolley. I found one of those in a canal once, and I didn't write a book about it. Maybe now we know it really should be at Euston, Virgin's last act can be to make an e-petition to move the mural to Euston so I only have to direct my hate at one London terminus, where Virgin and Harry Potter are lumped together in one hateful mass.

Adam :D

pemma

Veteran Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I cannot find the words to explain how much I loathe the concept of this magical platform. There are always some drooling Harry Potter fans looking in awe at it, talking loudly about it or asking staff where it is. It's half a trolley. I found one of those in a canal once, and I didn't write a book about it.

This - Harry Potter is total and utter shyte for children. Any adults who read it are the sort of people who make me look like some kind of Lothario and should, frankly, be taken out and shot.

I suppose the only benefit is that it MIGHT engender in children the habit of reading, which is a good thing.

AND they use a bloody Great Western engine to haul a train out of Kings Cross. Sacrilege.

pemma

Veteran Member
Which is actually at number 239!

I once lived in a house numbered 18 which had 17 next door and 19 next door on the other side and no houses opposite, does that mean I lived in a fictious address because conventionally there shouldn't be an even number house between 17 and 19?

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
I once lived in a house numbered 18 which had 17 next door and 19 next door on the other side and no houses opposite, does that mean I lived in a fictious address because conventionally there shouldn't be an even number house between 17 and 19?

? Not all streets are odds vs evens. I once lived at no. 56, opposite no. 2, next door to 55.

GuyBarry

No, it just means that you lived in a street where the houses were numbered sequentially. They're pretty common.

The building in Baker Street ("221b") that now houses the Sherlock Holmes Museum used to be numbered 239. It stands on the odd-numbered side between 237 and 241. I believe they had to lobby the Royal Mail to get the irregular number accepted.

Until a few years ago the block from 215-229 Baker Street was the headquarters of the Abbey National, and they used to answer letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes. I'm not sure who occupies that address now.

sprinterguy

Established Member
This - Harry Potter is total and utter shyte for children. Any adults who read it are the sort of people who make me look like some kind of Lothario and should, frankly, be taken out and shot.
That's rather a strong opinion to have on other's preferences for literature. I really can't see that reading Harry Potter as an adult is anything like the sin that you make it out to be, though I was only a child when the earliest books in the series were first released. I still find them as entertaining as I did when I first read them 10 - 15 years ago.

Temple Meads

Established Member

I suppose the only benefit is that it MIGHT engender in children the habit of reading, which is a good thing.

AND they use a bloody Great Western engine to haul a train out of Kings Cross. Sacrilege.

:shock:

Someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning..

12CSVT

Established Member

Some streets in central London are numbered like this. I believe Berwick Street (which leads off Oxford Street) is one example.

Status
Not open for further replies.