Police Constable to Railway

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Malala, 5 Aug 2018.

1. Chaz15

Chaz15 Member

I was called a prune though :lol:

2. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Prunes are awesome. The keep you regular. They are a quite versatile fruit and can be both used in both savory and sweet dishes. I'd take it as a compliment.

3. Trico382

Trico382 Member

Such a supercilious attitude could well be toxic (unless this person is a troll....but who trolls a rail forum!) but there are people like this in any profession. so I would imagine the best thing for new recruits is to crack on and seek advice from those less arrogant and willing to help. Sadly there will always be people who cast sweeping generalisations about others (as this person has about emergency services/military applicants) but as adults you have to look past it and crack on! Best of luck to the OP wish you all the best

4. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    Where's that "Like" button...???:D

5. niahay1985

niahay1985 Member

Just under 9 years in the Met and start as a trainee train driver in September. I'm very much looking forward to it (despite all the negativity above)

6. Leep1

Leep1 Member

Just to clear things up, I have no problem with anyone joining the railway be that ex police, fire, military, ambulance or any other profession. As long as they come into the role with an open mind and are willing to learn and put the hard work in.

My posts may have come across a little harsh but I was just passing on observations and didn’t mean to cause offence to anyone.

Good luck to all that are looking to join the railway, it’s a fantastic place to work and very rewarding.

7. Chaz15

Chaz15 Member

Your post said the railway should stop giving jobs to forces, emergency services etc.

Also known as discrimination.

It's no wonder it got people's backs up, although at least you have tried to clear it up and I hope some of the people joining from these areas will be able to change your mind.

I always try to take people as I find them. I find it's served me well so far.

8. rosie

rosie Member

Well said

9. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

BTP are losing officers to the railway hand over fist (probably why they always seem to be recruiting these days). Loads are going to NWR as signallers and some of course to TOCs. Better T&Cs and work/life balance.

10. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

That’s the base salary for new entrant PCs. Fully qualified Police Constables (certainly with BTP) with a few years under their belt earn twice that.

11. Teddyward

Teddyward Member

Been offered a job today at greater Anglia, pending medical. If all ok hand in the warrant card in 8 weeks.

12. niahay1985

niahay1985 Member

Well done Teddy. I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders when I handed in my resignation!

13. SMR

SMR Member

I currently work with several retired police officers. Believe it or not a couple said nigh on exactly what you said. On handing back their warrant card they felt huge relief.
    Just goes to show the pressures of modern policing.

14. Leep1

Leep1 Member

Yes point taken, all I want is for the railway to stay the great place it is.

15. Leep1

Leep1 Member

Congratulations! Welcome to the iron road! I’m sure you will really enjoy the driver role.

16. Regan

Regan Member

Congratulations.

17. tai

tai Member

Hello mate

It’s a great career in the railway industry.

If you’re hearts not in it no more than leave! Have no regrets! There is a big world out there and sometimes change is good even if you’re scared and worried about change.

I was a police officer in the Met for 7 years and PCSO for 5 years.

I resigned in Jan 2018 and have joined MTR Crossrail in Feb 2018 due to be passing out towards the end of this year.

I do not regret it one bit and I used to love the job but the way it has changed so much it’s not worth the hassle no more.

Do it mate take the plunge!!!

18. Teddyward

Teddyward Member

It’s popular at the moment. Just finished induction at GA and 4/18 people had prior policing.

19. Leep1

Leep1 Member

I've got an ex PC out with me at the moment doing his training and he's loving it since he left the force, he wishes he had left sooner.

He's taken to the driving grade well.

20. Malala

Malala Member

Hey mate , I'm trying to apply bit vacancies hardly pop up. I haven't seen TFL advertise for a Customer service position in a while

21. Cerebral

Cerebral Member

A lot of ex-Police are joining Network Rail as Signallers too. I originally went for Trainee Driver role but ended up doing Signalling in the end. Something to consider if Driver roles are not coming up in your area very often. There is also generally a bit less competition for Signalling roles than Trainee Driver roles (although it is still very competitive).

Have a read of the "Career as a Signaller" thread here on the forums if it interests you or others...

22. Salop-lad82

Salop-lad82 New Member

Hi... yes. I had done 16 years in the job finished as a DC... on week 2 of my trainee driver adventure

23. Junk_girl

Junk_girl Member

7 and a half years with Police scotland, handing in my notice tomorrow to become a driver with Scotrail....

Over the moon :D

24. Smithey80

Smithey80 New Member

13 years Police Scotland. I start with Scotrail next month.

25. Narom

Narom Member

Was in MerPol (albeit left 6 years ago) start NR next year.

26. andys495

andys495 Member

30 years as a police officer and now a year as a driver. A gem of a job!

27. 1494

1494 New Member

Great thread and great to hear of all the ex bobbies making the jump and improving their quality of life by joining the railway. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky few too at some point. 14 years in and had enough. Application is in for FGW so we will see. Shame about some of the comments on here from one particular person but i'm guessing that is the minority and overall ex services and forces are thought of quite highly it seems. Anyway I will now be following this forum with interest.

TR

28. oz220

oz220 Member

Personally, for me, anyone that can spend more than a few years in the forces must be somewhat dedicated. I imagine it as a difficult environment and career.
    Id say to anyone, getting onto the railways is a great move. I transferred from the security industry to role of train driver and your experiences and work patterns should stand you in good stead to becoming a train driver.
    Also knowing how little appreciation you felt and demotivating your previous job was will make you look at the railway in a big bright sunny light.
    Like everyone says the hardest part is getting the job. Then take everything on board and enjoy it. Good luck to everyone, ex forces and those from anywhere else. We all have to past the same assessments and if you are one of the fortunate ones then don't hesitate and go for it.

29. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

I joined the railway from the security industry 12-years ago and have never looked back. Now on nearly twice the salary I was on and work half the hours. I’m not a driver (yet), but joining the railway was the best move I ever made career wise. Decent pension too. Security industry is a rubbish industry to work in and only money to be made is if you work 60 hrs a week.

30. KentDriver

KentDriver Member

You've done this in another thread. You spurt absolute rubbish then apologise later in the thread in case you caused offence.
    How about keep your two cents in your wallet and let people who are actually willing to offer decent advice answer the question.
    Just my two cents!