• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved railways with considerable expansion opportunities/potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris89

Established Member
RichmondCommu said:
Yes I was just about to say that, including the reinstatement of the 3rd platform. Just out of interest do you know what will happen to the volunteers accommodation carriages that are currently parked there? Whilst I understand that they are not in the best state of repair it would be a shame to see them cut up.

Just out of interest what are the chances of ever running in the Stourport direction again?

For the coaches i haven't a clue sadly, But can try to find out of course though. The reinstatement of P3 will be great for the Shuttle services to Hampton Loade etc during Gala's.

Extreme long term plans, but far far higher chance of actually happening unlike towards Ironbridge, that is more or less impossible now. Would love to see the railway go to Stourport though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For the coaches i haven't a clue sadly, But can try to find out of course though. The reinstatement of P3 will be great for the Shuttle services to Hampton Loade etc during Gala's.

Extreme long term plans, but far far higher chance of actually happening unlike towards Ironbridge, that is more or less impossible now. Would love to see the railway go to Stourport though.

How intact is the route to Stourport? When I drive to the SVR galas I think there's a removed bridge somewhere around Kidderminster, is that on the branch do you know?

chris89

Established Member
How intact is the route to Stourport? When I drive to the SVR galas I think there's a removed bridge somewhere around Kidderminster, is that on the branch do you know?

The trackbed is rather over grown, but Bridge and the tunnel are still there, but imagine would require quite a bit of work on them, Other end of the tunnel it would come out onto a housing estate.

The location of the line, is where the Spur is on the right of the train, when you leave Bewdley station towards Kidderminster.

If come from Highley side of the river, on the road into Bewdley, is a old Railway bridge that is on the Tenbury & Bewdley line, but can't imagine that reopening. As would require the bridge over the river being reinstalled and so on.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The trackbed is rather over grown, but Bridge and the tunnel are still there, but imagine would require quite a bit of work on them, Other end of the tunnel it would come out onto a housing estate.

The location of the line, is where the Spur is on the right of the train, when you leave Bewdley station towards Kidderminster.

If come from Highley side of the river, on the road into Bewdley, is a old Railway bridge that is on the Tenbury & Bewdley line, but can't imagine that reopening. As would require the bridge over the river being reinstalled and so on.

Ok thanks for that, shame about the housing estate though. I love the SVR, visit it every year. The old junction looks intriguing, there's all sorts of overgrown stuff there and then the bit of track leading off tantalisingly... :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Ok thanks for that, shame about the housing estate though. I love the SVR, visit it every year. The old junction looks intriguing, there's all sorts of overgrown stuff there and then the bit of track leading off tantalisingly... :)

Lots of permanent way wagons normally parked up there. Roll on the Spring Gala :).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lots of permanent way wagons normally parked up there. Roll on the Spring Gala :).

I saw 31162 go past the farmers crossing near Hampton Loade at dusk during the diesel gala towing some ballast wagons in May. Just me and the missus standing there and he gave us a little wave. It was like 1982 all over again (although I didn't have a missus then though as I was 9) :)

chris89

Established Member

Most welcome of course. True it is sadly and i believe the Mainroad would be another issue.

I would believe going to Stourport would be more sensible though then North of Bridgnorth, As tunnel isn't in a good condition and housing estates on the track bed + the main road has been raised so the bridge would be extremely low over it.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
NYMR from pickering to malton, reinstate some platforms there and connect with TPE services, thereby providing a link to Flamingoland....

fireftrm

Not a practical solution, the trackbed through Pickering is built over, two major roads to cross on the level and Flamingoland is not on the route anyway.

markindurham

NYMR from pickering to malton, reinstate some platforms there and connect with TPE services, thereby providing a link to Flamingoland....

Ah, that old canard again...

Fortunately, it's pleasing to see that its most vociforous proponents seem to have finally accepted that it's a non-starter and disappeared - funny, at one time, one of them was loudly claiming that it was pretty much a 'done deal' <D

alexl92

Established Member
Ah, that old canard again...

Fortunately, it's pleasing to see that its most vociforous proponents seem to have finally accepted that it's a non-starter and disappeared - funny, at one time, one of them was loudly claiming that it was pretty much a 'done deal' <D

What happened to that American consortium or whatever it was that was going to cut through Pickering and use it as a privately high-speed alternative between Whitby and York or something like that?

Can't understand why that never happened.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

markindurham

What happened to that American consortium or whatever it was that was going to cut through Pickering and use it as a privately high-speed alternative between Whitby and York or something like that?

Can't understand why that never happened.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The one that was going to set up a biotech lab in Whitby, which was why they had to take over the NYMR using Compulsory Purchase, to get skilled people in and out of Whitby? Yes indeed - tragic really...:p:p:p

D6975

Established Member
Reading this thread makes me wonder if there is an optimum length for a preserved railway and how other factors might change this value.
If a line is too short, it may be perceived as poor value for money. If a line is too long it may be considered too time consuming or even boring. There is also the extra cost of maintaining so much extra infrastructure resulting in a high cost for a family trip.
An attraction at one end (or anywhere on the line for that matter) changes the situation as people take a break from travelling at said location. K&WVR benefits from the Bronte connection, several lines have a seaside resort at one end (or both) and the NYMR is fortunate to have both Whitby and Goathland/Aidensfield.
I think that the NYMR and the West Somerset are at the point where being significantly longer would not be advantageous, noting however that for the latter, running that last bit into Taunton would make the line so much more accessible.

sprinterguy

Established Member
SVR members have tentatively suggested that relaying of track on part of the Stourport branch from Bewdley would be a 'nice to have' in the long term, even if only used during galas and other special events. However the furthest they could go would be (almost) to Burlish Halt, near to the south end of Mount Pleasant Tunnel, rather than all the way to Stourport.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Reading this thread makes me wonder if there is an optimum length for a preserved railway and how other factors might change this value.
If a line is too short, it may be perceived as poor value for money. If a line is too long it may be considered too time consuming or even boring. There is also the extra cost of maintaining so much extra infrastructure resulting in a high cost for a family trip.
Yes, the Severn Valley Railway have admitted that even if an extension to Ironbridge were physically possible, even with the likely traffic to and from such a well known tourist attraction, it would not be at all desirable due to the overall journey length and ticket cost being unattractive to the visitor. The Welsh Highland Railway for one must surely be pushing the limit to which a preserved railway as a tourist attraction can extend before the economics outweigh the cost to the visitor, as good as that line is.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
SVR members have tentatively suggested that relaying of track on part of the Stourport branch from Bewdley would be a 'nice to have' in the long term, even if only used during galas and other special events. However the furthest they could go would be to Burlish Halt, near to the north end of Mount Pleasant Tunnel, rather than all the way to Stourport.

Just out of curiosity, how far would it be from the junction to the halt? It could be a nice asset to have for an already excellent railway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, the Severn Valley Railway have admitted that even if an extension to Ironbridge were physically possible, even with the likely traffic to and from such a well known tourist attraction, it would not be at all desirable due to the overall journey length and ticket cost being unattractive to the visitor. The Welsh Highland Railway for one must surely be pushing the limit to which a preserved railway as a tourist attraction can extend before the economics outweigh the cost to the visitor, as good as that line is.

It's an interesting question. I think it depends on the scenery travelled through, what there is to do near the stations and what there is at either end.
Clearly the NYMR, SVR and WSR don't struggle for patronage but I do remember that when my kids were little and if we went on for instance The West Somerset that sitting on a train for nearly two hours was a bit too long (and they were used to it :)).

As an enthusiast though, obviously the longer (and the hillier) the better, but it's not the likes of me (as an enthusiast that is) that pay the bills.
I fully understand the SVR and other railways deciding to stick rather than twist. I'd dearly love to see the West Somerset properly linked with Taunton station, using the bay platform and having through trains etc, but not if it jeopardises what they've done already.
It costs so much money to put a stretch of railway back these days that railways really have to decide if it's justified or whether it's better to work on and improve what they've got. It is amazing what we have got of course

Flying Phil

Established Member
It costs so much money to put a stretch of railway back these days that railways really have to decide if it's justified or whether it's better to work on and improve what they've got. It is amazing what we have got of course[/QUOTE]

That is so true! We have so much to thank all those people, over the past fifty years, who have managed to keep the infrastructure and skills going, that now provide so much pleasure to so many people. Long may the dreams continue.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, how far would it be from the junction to the halt? It could be a nice asset to have for an already excellent railway.
I'm not sure of the precise distance but it would be about a mile from the junction (three quarters of a mile were temporarily relaid over that stretch in 1974 for the filming of The Seven Percent Solution). Not much to tempt the typical day visitor, perhaps, also ending as it does on the edge of a nondescript housing estate, but the idea of an autotrain shuttle trundling between Burlish and Bewdley during galas does seem appealing.

Apparently in late 2015 Rail Safety Solutions took a lease on the line as far as Mount Pleasant Tunnel, in order to train Network Rail apprentices in track laying and maintenance, but as far as I am aware nothing has yet happened on the ground.

(I've edited my original post slightly upon realising that Burlish Halt was to the south of Mount Pleasant Tunnel, rather than the north)

It's an interesting question. I think it depends on the scenery travelled through, what there is to do near the stations and what there is at either end.
Clearly the NYMR, SVR and WSR don't struggle for patronage but I do remember that when my kids were little and if we went on for instance The West Somerset that sitting on a train for nearly two hours was a bit too long (and they were used to it :)).

As an enthusiast though, obviously the longer (and the hillier) the better, but it's not the likes of me (as an enthusiast that is) that pay the bills.
I fully understand the SVR and other railways deciding to stick rather than twist. I'd dearly love to see the West Somerset properly linked with Taunton station, using the bay platform and having through trains etc, but not if it jeopardises what they've done already.
It costs so much money to put a stretch of railway back these days that railways really have to decide if it's justified or whether it's better to work on and improve what they've got. It is amazing what we have got of course
Yes, there's a number of external factors that determine the likely patronage for a preserved railway and it's optimum length, prime amongst these being, as you say, the quality of the scenery traversed, the attractiveness of the locations served at intermediate stations and termini and accessibility (and visibility) from the local road network and bus or train services.

Of course the Welsh Highland Railway scores highly on the ruggedness of the landscape that it traverses, giving it a fairly unique selling point, and the SVR and NYMR both seem to be at their optimum length in terms of having a national rail connection at one end, an attractive market town at the other and attractive scenery and other attractions inbetween. The WSR could benefit from being properly linked to Taunton in order to provide a direct rail connection and visibility in a large town, but in general for these long lines a strategy of consolidation and improving the offering they provide to the customer within their existing sphere of operation seems a much safer bet than further expansion.

furnessvale

Established Member
Unless I have missed it, I have not seen any mention of freight over existing heritage lines.

I know the West Somerset has had stone traffic in the past but I would be most interested in any freight opportunities for heritage lines to feed onto NR via their connections.

dgl

Established Member
There is always the Shillingstone Railway Project, yes they have virtually no track to run on but they do own the lease for the old track bed up to Bath junction and would like to extend the railway to threr including a new loop of track through the station.
They also own some rolling stock including an 08 shunter, and a MK1 and MK3 carriage plus some other goods/works vans.

There is always the Shillingstone Railway Project, yes they have virtually no track to run on but they do own the lease for the old track bed up to Bath junction and would like to extend the railway to threr including a new loop of track through the station.
They also own some rolling stock including an 08 shunter, and a MK1 and MK3 carriage plus some other goods/works vans.

Are you sure about that?

alexl92

Established Member
Unless I have missed it, I have not seen any mention of freight over existing heritage lines.

I know the West Somerset has had stone traffic in the past but I would be most interested in any freight opportunities for heritage lines to feed onto NR via their connections.

Do't know if it counts but the MOD uses the Wensleydale Line for transporting military vehicles to and from Catterick.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Didn't the Bodmin and Wenford carry some freight in the early 1990s? My memory is vague but I recall something in a magazine about there being a weekly wagonload trip to do with (IIRC) a lighting company? Think it ended when Speedlink bit the dust though.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Didn't the Bodmin and Wenford carry some freight in the early 1990s? My memory is vague but I recall something in a magazine about there being a weekly wagonload trip to do with (IIRC) a lighting company? Think it ended when Speedlink bit the dust though.

That's right, It was Fitzgerald lighting. They used 20110 on it and the 33. Photo (from SDDT site below), not sure why it ended but you're probably right that it was due to Speedlink ending.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.