• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved railways with considerable expansion opportunities/potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
Perhaps the Strathspey Railway opening a branch to Nethy Bridge?

In a fantasy world, continue beyond Nethy Bridge and then a new connecting route looping towards Granton on Spey to create a circular route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kettledrum

Unless I have missed it, I have not seen any mention of freight over existing heritage lines.

I know the West Somerset has had stone traffic in the past but I would be most interested in any freight opportunities for heritage lines to feed onto NR via their connections.

I assumed that with freight (particularly heavy freight) there was the risk of more wear and tear on the track, and that this would put some preserved railways off.

furnessvale

Established Member
I assumed that with freight (particularly heavy freight) there was the risk of more wear and tear on the track, and that this would put some preserved railways off.

Agreed, although most heritage railways will need an axle load rating commensurate with their steam or diesel locos.

The big question is, would any potential freight contribute more revenue than the wear and tear would cost? Given the low to zero labour costs on such railways the answer could well be positive.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Perhaps the Strathspey Railway opening a branch to Nethy Bridge?

In a fantasy world, continue beyond Nethy Bridge and then a new connecting route looping towards Granton on Spey to create a circular route.

I thought they were already hoping to get to Granton on Spey, I think they have got beyond Boat of Garten Station. (Or am I thinking of the Dufftown Railway?)

2HAP

There's the K&ESR/RVR Robertsbridge - Junction Road extension. Tenterden - Headcorn probably not viable due to housing on the trackbed at St. Michaels.

As for freight on heritage lines, there was military traffic on the Mid Norfolk railway, not sure if it still runs now.

Calthrop

Established Member
Nene valley could actually get to the outskirts of market harborough at a push. The last time I looked it was possible to get the market harborough by pass, but very difficult to get much further, mainly due to the gradients to get past the bypass, assuming that they won't allow a level crossing there.
Oundle is the limit the other way without deviating, and even then, it wouldn't be easy to get much further. Of course Stamford could be possible, but I don't think the locals on that route would be for it.

Coming in very late here; I meant to respond to this post at the time it appeared, but then forgot about it -- chanced upon it again, today.

The reference to Stamford; does this actually mean the old Wansford -- Stamford branch originally of the GNR: abandoned 1929, though I believe that over much of it, track wasn't lifted until a lot later -- retained for wagon storage??

Is this line's trackbed, against the odds, still basically "there" after all this time? I'm not meaning to "rubbish" the notion of reinstatement, assuming I am in fact understanding correctly -- I'm just curious.

Mvann

Coming in very late here; I meant to respond to this post at the time it appeared, but then forgot about it -- chanced upon it again, today.

The reference to Stamford; does this actually mean the old Wansford -- Stamford branch originally of the GNR: abandoned 1929, though I believe that over much of it, track wasn't lifted until a lot later -- retained for wagon storage??

Is this line's trackbed, against the odds, still basically "there" after all this time? I'm not meaning to "rubbish" the notion of reinstatement, assuming I am in fact understanding correctly -- I'm just curious.

Yes I did mean the gnr branch. I was told about 6 years ago that most of the trackbed is still there. I haven't googled it recently, nor have i had a look. I believe at least one station is in private ownership.

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes I did mean the gnr branch. I was told about 6 years ago that most of the trackbed is still there. I haven't googled it recently, nor have i had a look. I believe at least one station is in private ownership.

Thanks. I'd have imagined that after all this time, a great deal of the trackbed would have been absorbed into farmland and completely obliterated; but of course these things vary from one situation to another.

I recall seeing -- on family car journeyings sixty-odd years ago -- Wansford Road, and Barnack, stations, on this route; still with platforms and station buildings in situ, though the rails were gone. Have always found a little amusement in the oddity that Wansford Road station, roughly a mile away from Wansford village, is actually closer to the village than is Wansford LNWR station itself.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Agreed, although most heritage railways will need an axle load rating commensurate with their steam or diesel locos.

The big question is, would any potential freight contribute more revenue than the wear and tear would cost? Given the low to zero labour costs on such railways the answer could well be positive.
Labour cost is in fact a very real burden for most preserved railways. For the major ones, their largest single outgoing.

furnessvale

Established Member
Labour cost is in fact a very real burden for most preserved railways. For the major ones, their largest single outgoing.

Yes, but how much labour is free or expenses only?

Compare that with running a TOC/FOC.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The Bluebell has plans to extend west along the Ardingly branch, and in the very long term (~50 years) could head south in the direction of Lewes.

I recall that in the early 1990s there was an article in one of the railway magazines which imagined the Bluebell doing all this (plus East Grinstead - Tunbridge Wells and more) by 2001, running steam Sheffield Park - East Grinstead, Sprinters Tunbridge Wells - Three Bridges - Gatwick Airport, and Pacers on all the other bits.

The Bluebell heading westwards only has two obsticals, Lywood Tunnel - its in good nick but its owned by someone else and not the Bluebell as their land runs up to the mouth of the tunnel. Heading south and there is another tunnel between Newick and Chailey and Balcombe but that one is in a dreadful condition.

The Lavender Line could extend in both directions to either Lewes or Uckfield, their main aim is the latter which would require a bridge to be stregthend and part of the original Uckfield station rebuilt since it has since been demolished. Extending it to Lewes may be a bit easier as all they have to do is sort out the exisiting platforms at Barcombe Mills (where there still is a Southern railways pre BR sign still there to this day) and relay the track.

D6975

Established Member
I thought they were already hoping to get to Granton on Spey, I think they have got beyond Boat of Garten Station. (Or am I thinking of the Dufftown Railway?)

They extended to Broomhill quite a long time ago. It was used as the local railway station in 'Monarch of the Glen'.

reddragon

Established Member
Any railway extension is possible, just look at Bluebell the a rubbish filled cutting, the WHR or GCR bridging the gap! So forget the word impossible and use more challenging / longer to achieve.

If money is available from willing members, crayonists or grants then extensions can be built.

The key to success though heavily depends of the viability of running the service on the line built.

When the GWSR extends to Broadway, it connects to a major tourist centre and huge demand potential. Honeybourne though is not a destination, merely a connection to the "main line" with a sparse service.

The C&PRR will gain a huge market from Princes Risborough, but south towards Watlington simply extends the ride.

Missing gaps such as K&ESR to Robertsbridge will always succeed, but the Wensleydale Railway as a Garsdale to Northallaton route, although fairly easy to achieve doesn't have a base profitable railway with enough members to run it let alone fund it!

What is more likely to see is one or more heritage railways fail and close, as some seem no more than local hobbies with weak finances and if key members age / die / leave then that is it.

muddythefish

On Moderation
The NVR missed the boat on extending to Oundle years ago - the station and old goods yard were still standing empty in the 1990s and would have made a very attractive terminus for the run from Peterborough.

The NVR has never shown much interest in extending west though and seems content with what it's got.

Good thread this - it's interesting to speculate on what might be possible in the future though I see the taxpayer-sponsored BMW driver has been making his customary juvenile "crayonista" remarks.

JohnElliott

I suppose the Spa Valley Railway could extend south from Eridge to Rotherfield (or to the Mayfield bypass).

A0wen

On Moderation
The NVR missed the boat on extending to Oundle years ago - the station and old goods yard were still standing empty in the 1990s and would have made a very attractive terminus for the run from Peterborough.

The NVR has never shown much interest in extending west though and seems content with what it's got.

Good thread this - it's interesting to speculate on what might be possible in the future though I see the taxpayer-sponsored BMW driver has been making his customary juvenile "crayonista" remarks.

Good to see you continue to post libellous remarks about other posters.

Leopards never change their spots do they?

Perhaps you need to go away and read about the NVR's troubles over recent years - reported in the railway press - which is perhaps why they've not considered extending their line?

It took them a good many years to have the resources to put a station at Yarwell. They've had various items of rolling stock on the 'to restore' line for many years. Their latest, more sensible, focus has been on obtaining the buildings at Wansford station.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
I suppose the Spa Valley Railway could extend south from Eridge to Rotherfield (or to the Mayfield bypass).

Would require HUGE capital outlay including converting the old station at Rotherfield back from a luxury private house to a station.
An earlier comment about the "easy" job of extending the Lavender Line to Uckfield should consider also that the Uckfield by-pass(A22) crosses the trackbed on the level just south of Uckfield so would require realignment of the road with a bridge.
The consideration of either the Spa Valley Railway extending to Tunbridge Wells (Central) or the Lavender Line extending to Lewes are "non-runners" as this would introduce a raft of safety measures for Heritage trains running over 3rd rail electrified lines. This in addition to ensuring that locomotives and rolling stock are certified and maintained to NR standards for running on their lines.

Last edited:

muddythefish

On Moderation

Perhaps you need to go away and read about the NVR's troubles over recent years - reported in the railway press - which is perhaps why they've not considered extending their line?

It took them a good many years to have the resources to put a station at Yarwell. They've had various items of rolling stock on the 'to restore' line for many years. Their latest, more sensible, focus has been on obtaining the buildings at Wansford station.

Did I mention you - or do you have a guilt complex ?

The NVR's been around since the 1970s and extended to Peterborough 30 years ago since when it's stagnated and been overtaken by other preserved railways with fewer resources but much more ambition.

Oundle station stood empty and abandoned for years and could have been bought for a song but the railway has always lacked vision. An opportunity missed to create a very fine railway connecting a major population centre and an attractive tourist town.

Mvann

Yarwell station may have seemed to taken years to resource, but that isn't the whole story. Part of the reason was to do with the fact that it was part of an initiative of British waterways. Most of the resources on the yarwell project was to do with the revised layout there.

You also missed the fact of the expenditure of the purchase of the fletton branch and the years that took to purchase. That connection is probably worth more revenue wise than extending to oundle. That was actually voted for by the members.

Yes the NVR has stagnated to a certain extent. Historically, part of that is down to the fact that they didn't have to raise much of the money to build the railway in the first place. Also as a former member once said to me, the railway is trying to run a 1960s style railway to a 1970s standard to a 1980s lifestyle. Unfortunately, that mentality of Sundays being the family day out to attractions doesn't exist anymore.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Have the Spa Valley managed to put in a loop around their platform to allow the locos to run around, I think they were looking into a drawbridge type of construction to keep the access to the car park via the platform? One of their staff mentioned this to me 2 or 3 years ago.

Frapps

They extended to Broomhill quite a long time ago. It was used as the local railway station in 'Monarch of the Glen'.

They have extended as far as they can until the A95 at Gaich gets sorted out. Once that's done (eventually) AFAIK they'll be able to extend to Grantown without any problems.

There have though been ideas that the line should be reopened from Grantown all the way to Forres via Dava (the original Highland line before Inverness via Aviemore was opened).

Also, there is a tiny possibility of reopening the line from Boat of Garten through to Dufftown (via Aberlour & Craigellachie). I think most of the track bed is still there and it would link up with the Keith - Dufftown line.

If it did that would be somewhere around 40 miles of preserved line.

Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.......

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Missing gaps such as K&ESR to Robertsbridge will always succeed, but the Wensleydale Railway as a Garsdale to Northallaton route, although fairly easy to achieve doesn't have a base profitable railway with enough members to run it let alone fund it!

Have you seen the state of the tunnel at Mossdale Head?

steamybrian

Established Member
Have the Spa Valley managed to put in a loop around their platform to allow the locos to run around, I think they were looking into a drawbridge type of construction to keep the access to the car park via the platform? One of their staff mentioned this to me 2 or 3 years ago.
It was being planned using the swing bridge from Brockenhurst station however at the last moment Network Rail decided not to sell it.
At present priority is being given to other projects such as maintaining rolling stock, Groombridge resignalling and repairing the earthslip at Tunbridge Wells West.

Firesprite

Yarwell station may have seemed to taken years to resource, but that isn't the whole story. Part of the reason was to do with the fact that it was part of an initiative of British waterways. Most of the resources on the yarwell project was to do with the revised layout there.
It was an Environment Agency initiative, British Waterways (C&RT) has never had a remit for the Nene.

Last edited:

Ploughman

Established Member
They have extended as far as they can until the A95 at Gaich gets sorted out. Once that's done (eventually) AFAIK they'll be able to extend to Grantown without any problems.

There have though been ideas that the line should be reopened from Grantown all the way to Forres via Dava (the original Highland line before Inverness via Aviemore was opened).

Also, there is a tiny possibility of reopening the line from Boat of Garten through to Dufftown (via Aberlour & Craigellachie). I think most of the track bed is still there and it would link up with the Keith - Dufftown line.

If it did that would be somewhere around 40 miles of preserved line.

Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.......

You mean to say that the footbridge that I and a team of others built on the formation near Aberlour is likely to be ripped out?:lol:
As featured by Julia Bradbury on the Speyside Railway walk.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It was being planned using the swing bridge from Brockenhurst station however at the last moment Network Rail decided not to sell it.
At present priority is being given to other projects such as maintaining rolling stock, Groombridge resignalling and repairing the earthslip at Tunbridge Wells West.

I thought it was something to do with Brockenhurst, thanks for clarifying.

reddragon

Established Member
Have you seen the state of the tunnel at Mossdale Head?

Yes, it needs some work but the farmer is using it as storage and it hasn't collapsed! Looks like a standard project to me in need of a grant to preserve . . . . . maybe one day!

Do you know any lottery winners?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A few railway enthusiast lottery winners would be a useful thing. It could be you...
(It can't be me, I don't do it)

Calthrop

Established Member
A few railway enthusiast lottery winners would be a useful thing. It could be you...
(It can't be me, I don't do it)

Thrifty relatives of mine were talking recently about someone they'd known who had, bit by bit, wasted over the years some sixty thousand pounds on something which they (the "waster") thought perfectly sensible expenditure. I wanted to say, "if I had £60K which I were seeking to waste, here's what I'd do..."

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thrifty relatives of mine were talking recently about someone they'd known who had, bit by bit, wasted over the years some sixty thousand pounds on something which they (the "waster") thought perfectly sensible expenditure. I wanted to say, "if I had £60K which I were seeking to waste, here's what I'd do..."

I spent half of it on wine, women and song ... and then I wasted the rest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.