• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

priv discount to be allowed on off peak tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Seems to depend on area...They're showing on our Avantix machines, despite there being an error in last night's download.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
We've had a memo issued about an error on our Avantix machines meaning fares won't show correctly (ie only the old Anytime fares are available). Current process is to not charge the passenger but to advise them to visit a booking office to pay as apparently it is working OK on booking office machines.

TheEdge

Established Member
My Avantix machine today was happy to show (didn't get to issue!) Off Peaks with Privs.

RJ

Established Member
It's almost a big enough carrot for me to stop using loopholes to reduce the fare on my commute between London and the East Midlands, which resumes next month...
I bet the EMT guards are looking forward to that!;):lol:

Here we go - my first Priv Off Peak ticket. Unprecedented as far as travel on EMT's services goes. It may well be the first and last time however as my tickets along this route for the following year have been paid for by Southeastern.

The TM on the way back to London was eyeing me as I went through my wallet to find my ticket. I showed it to her and she said "OMG, you've bought a normal ticket! What happened?" I'm not quite sure I had a clue what she was talking about.

In other news, anyone wishing to check fares in Avantix Traveller or BRfares, Travel Agents and NRE helpdesk staff have long had an entitlement to 75% off almost all point-to-point walkup fares - use the TAD discount code and ignore the handful of Advance fares that might show up on some flows :idea:

harz99

My first new priv off peak day return today. Lockerbie to Carlisle £1.70 each, as opposed to the previous cheapest method of priv anytime day returns Lockerbie to Penrith (not available to Carlisle) at £5.10 each.:D

The saving buys an extra pint in Wetherspoons.:D:D

sprinterguy

Established Member
My first new priv off peak day return today. Lockerbie to Carlisle £1.70 each, as opposed to the previous cheapest method of priv anytime day returns Lockerbie to Penrith (not available to Carlisle) at £5.10 each.:D

The saving buys an extra pint in Wetherspoons.:D:D
That's what it's all about :p Although, surely, that's a pint and a half in Wetherspoons? What a good deal! :)

Last edited:

mandub

Quick q.
I'm going to use the priv off peak day return option for upcoming Man-London trip.
I'm going as far as East Ham on the tube, but will likely be stopping off at Liverpool St for a pint or two on the way. What's the best option for me to book?
I checked on Avantix for a ticket MAN to Zone U123* and the restriction said something along the lines of 'valid for one underground journey'
I'm not sure if that means the barrier would take my ticket if I get off at Liverpool Street . Anyone know? Or is there a better option i should book? I used to just use an Oyster card but that doesn't seem the cheapest option now (if it ever was!)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Quick q.
I'm going to use the priv off peak day return option for upcoming Man-London trip.
I'm going as far as East Ham on the tube, but will likely be stopping off at Liverpool St for a pint or two on the way. What's the best option for me to book?
I checked on Avantix for a ticket MAN to Zone U123* and the restriction said something along the lines of 'valid for one underground journey'
I'm not sure if that means the barrier would take my ticket if I get off at Liverpool Street . Anyone know? Or is there a better option i should book? I used to just use an Oyster card but that doesn't seem the cheapest option now (if it ever was!)

You cannot get a Priv U123 ticket if you have a TOCNE Priv card.

If you do and you use it between Euston and Liverpool Street you will not be able to re-enter the underground system with that ticket.

mandub

You cannot get a Priv U123 ticket if you have a TOCNE Priv card.

If you do and you use it between Euston and Liverpool Street you will not be able to re-enter the underground system with that ticket.

OK, thanks.

Anyone have an idea on the best/cheapest option then. Getting a single through ticket via a colleague on their Avantix was my preferred option.
Is there any "MAN to London Zone" or "MAN to East Ham underground" ticket I can by with PRIV discount that could work.
Or perhaps a separate PRIV Euston to Zone 3 or Euston to East Ham ticket I can get on Avantix and so have it before I travel. I don't want to queue at Euston on the day to buy a travelcard etc if I can help it. Always seems v busy at the windows.
I can just use Oyster if needed. Just hoped there would be a PRIV option I could get in advance and that would be cheaper.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Anyone have an idea on the best/cheapest option then. Getting a single through ticket via a colleague on their Avantix was my preferred option.
Is there any "MAN to London Zone" or "MAN to East Ham underground" ticket I can by with PRIV discount that could work.
Or perhaps a separate PRIV Euston to Zone 3 or Euston to East Ham ticket I can get on Avantix and so have it before I travel. I don't want to queue at Euston on the day to buy a travelcard etc if I can help it. Always seems v busy at the windows.
I can just use Oyster if needed. Just hoped there would be a PRIV option I could get in advance and that would be cheaper.

Manchester-Bethnal Green would get you to Liverpool Street for very little, you might be able to add Bethnal Green to West Ham to that but the ATOC staff .pdf file is a little unclear on where you could use it to. Oyster PayG is better value than full price paper tickets

mandub

Manchester-Bethnal Green would get you to Liverpool Street for very little, you might be able to add Bethnal Green to West Ham to that but the ATOC staff .pdf file is a little unclear on where you could use it to. Oyster PayG is better value than full price paper tickets

Thanks - guess I'll use Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.