priv discount to be allowed on off peak tickets

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by NLC1072, 6 Jun 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

A £2 maximum fare is a maximum fare of £2. A £2 minimum fare would be a minimum of £2.

2. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

This is why it be useful if staff were allowed to access The Manual on non TOC PC's, be very useful to check stuff.

Have you a copy of the brief you can PM over, it's just I'm wary but interested at same time as I can use my priv to get cheaper tix.

3. hairyhandedfool

When I looked on iKB earlier there was no mention of a PRIV discounts on Off-Peak Fares (though that is not unexpected as it's the current rules in force), but I couldn't see a way to find future information (like you used to get with The Manual), I might have just missed it though.

4. westcoaster

westcoaster Established Member

Got a copy emt staff recieved, but shared with FCC staff.

5. reb0118

reb0118 Established Member Fares Advisor

I think this may be referring to the £2.00 maximum fare for dependent children under 16 yrs. Not to be confused with the £2.00 flat fare for children (no need to be relatives) accompanying staff travel card (retired) holders.

6. muz379

muz379 Established Member

Id actually use my priv to get to london if this is going to be the case , rather than using Grand Central who I get free travel with . I know advances are cheaper but you are tied in to the particular trains . at least this way I can travel whenever I want

As for letting other rail staff on . I have let other TOC employees on ,I have even done so when I have had members of management traveling passenger on my service . I have never heard anything back about it . I think people forget a lot of Managers on the railway used to be front line staff themselves and so know how things work and what goes on .

I have only ever asked for a free ride on TPE-never been declined , ATW and EMT-never been declined (on lime street to Man pic service ) These cover journies I could have made with my Own Toc but would have took forever . I never ask for a free journey if I have been out drinking as I dont want to be called on for assistance if I am unfit because of drinking .

I have heard from a few people that ATOC have previously tried to negotiate a full package of free rail travel for any TOC employees but some Tocs didnt want in .

7. d1672

d1672 Member

Hi, This is a very interesting thread. Does anyone know when this will be announced ?

If possible, can Andy Mc tell us what was actually said in about this in his retail briefing ?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas (Retired)

8. patrick0

patrick0 New Member

The "priv card" is available to rail staff and their partners.

From 7 Sep the priv card can be used for walk up offpeak/super offpeak fares (currently it can only be used for anytime fares):

http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-staff-travel/

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Aug 2014
  9. reb0118

Good news!

Off to Harwich next month so will give it a try.

10. d1672

d1672 Member

Hi, Many thanks for that quick reply. What great news. Planning of trips will commence.

Thanks again ,

Thomas

11. Mattmatt

Mattmatt Member

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
    This is great news; but for me (as a conductor) but I'll still let staff travel for free with me anyway. But who'll be the first to report that they've been excessed by a fellow member of staff because they've travelled in a peak time but on an off peak ticket. I won't be; can you imagine the humiliation you'd get for that! So it's still free travel for rail staff on my trains!

12. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

Excellent news. A much welcomed addition.

13. reb0118

It may even be the case that a guard who would allow someone to travel sans billet so to speak would excess the same person holding an off peak ticket in the peak.

The easy answer to that is to travel on the correct ticket at the correct times. If we expect this of full fare paying passengers then we can, in fairness, expect no less from our colleagues.

The principle of travelling out of course, so to speak, notwithstanding the above, remains the same for all passengers regardless of entitlement held, ask (the right person) prior to boarding. Plans change & people run late or make mistakes - the same for staff and public alike.

My travel benefits are very (and I mean very!) generous. I am off to Sweden by train for £250 rtn. approx. for 1st class travel (inc. 3 sleepers & eurostar both ways). I certainly did not grudge paying priv. on anytime fares and certainly won't on off peak ones.

Use it - don't lose it!

14. Monty

Monty Established Member

[​IMG]

That is all. :D

15. NLC1072

NLC1072 Member

I have thoroughly tried and failed to resist the urge to say "I told you so!" .... enjoy!!!

16. hairyhandedfool

...For 12 months.....

17. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

Suddenly the WCML is a viable option for trips! :D

18. Monty

Monty Established Member

Trying to stay optimistic about the trial being made a permanent arrangement. ;)

19. RJ

RJ Established Member

From my experiences, some guards consider it a worse crime to travel with a Priv ticket they think is invalid (correct or otherwise) than to travel with no ticket with the intention of cadging a free ride!

20. Metobusfan

Metobusfan Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the priv rate be 75% off

21. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

The TOCNE card was also introduced as a 12 month trial and thats been going strong for around 15 years or so now

22. hairyhandedfool

Currently it is 75% off Anytime Single and Return fares and some Rovers and Rangers. From 7th September (for 12 months) it will also be 75% off Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Singles and Returns.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    It has always been a 12 month agreement each year, AFAIK, never heard it being called a trial in the early days though.

23. reb0118

I think I was subconsciously thinking of you when I posted :D.

When are you venturing north of Hadrian's Wall - don't leave it too late or you might need your passport. <D

24. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Have we crashed BR fares.com ??

25. ANorthernGuard

ANorthernGuard Established Member

One of the best things to happen to non safeguarded staff for a long time (and about time I may add) it was a ridiculous situation before which has now been rectified (at least for 12 months)

26. the sniper

the sniper Established Member

You'd be better off waiting for independence. Then you'd get at least 8 days free travel rather than having to pay to travel on our own system... :roll:

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
  27. reb0118

Good point! I might tell Big Eck - might swing a few railmen into the yes camp.

Seriously though if Scotland did vote for Independence and there was a reciprocal scheme in place similar to Ireland then people working for an English TOC would get better travel facilities in Scotland than they would on another English TOC. Crazy.

2x Free Coupons = 8 boxes = up to 16 free days a year + 75% discount on tickets bought.

28. RJ

RJ Established Member

Friday next week, spending the weekend in Edinburgh! Second week of September, I'm exploring Scotland swiftly followed by two weeks of travelling by rail in Europe in September...coupons on order and empty boxes waiting to be filled :D

29. mtmikethom

mtmikethom Member

Question.
    I have a Retired staff PTAC issued by London Underground (TfL) which entitles me to 75% discount on Anytime National Rail Fares, does anyone know if this discount will also apply to Off Peak fares as with ATOC Rail Staff?

30. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

Excellent news. Does this apply also to the card your partner/dependent kids get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.