• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Not everyone with a Priv gets free travel across the network from boxes, I don't with a (safeguarded) TfL Priv and nor do (non-safeguarded) TOCNE I believe.

No? I don't really know much about the other kinda privs.
Mine is just a standard Network Rail priv.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's 34% off the standard adult fare at all times.

Railcards don't *always* get you a third/34% discount, on the Severn Beach line for example, the railcard price is 50% of the adult fare (ie: the same as the child fare).

me123

Established Member
Railcards don't *always* get you a third/34% discount, on the Severn Beach line for example, the railcard price is 50% of the adult fare (ie: the same as the child fare).

Thanks. In my area, it's basically the 34%.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I forgot to mention, you can't always get Railcard discounts on certain advance purchace tickets. No 'Firstminutefares' (FGW) offer discounts, but all 'Value Advance' (Virgin) do. I believe there is 1 TOC which could be GNER [not sure] where some are discounted and others not.

me123

Established Member
For Jord, FSR do not discount Values, but they are all fantastic value anyway.

Tom B

Established Member
I think it may be GNER, the dirt cheap ones you won't get any more off (like the £9.50 singles to London) but the more expensive yet still AP ones you can.

Of course if anybody is off to uni this year, get a Natwest account who pay for a YPR for 5 years for you! £100 saved immediately.

me123

Established Member
Of course if anybody is off to uni this year, get a Natwest account who pay for a YPR for 5 years for you! £100 saved immediately.

Will keep offers like this in mind for (hopefully) next year.

Jord

For Jord, FSR do not discount Values, but they are all fantastic value anyway.

Going from Aberdeen i've always used GNER for the HST :D lol, So hardly use FSR unless i HAVE to eg going to musselburgh racecourse with my dad for the day :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, sorry FGW have railcard discounts on Leisure Advance only

I have a priv,

Dependants (The kids) tend to run out when they are 16, unless they continue further with education, then you keep your priv untill you have fininshed full time education (College, Uni & what-not) And, my parents have told me, I have to be with my mum or dad, to travel for free on the railways. When im 16 however, if I go to college, then i can travel for free, on my tod with the priv! :)

Or at least, thats what I was told! Im actualy not looking forward to loosing my priv at 16. I dont intend to go to College, but an Apprenticeship instead :P

me123

Established Member
Going from Aberdeen i've always used GNER for the HST :D lol, So hardly use FSR unless i HAVE to eg going to musselburgh racecourse with my dad for the day :D

Take a 170 some day. It's still a great ride from Aberdeen-Dundee. I have not yet been lucky enough to catch an HST to/from Aberdeen :(.

dan_atki

Established Member
Dependants (The kids) tend to run out when they are 16, unless they continue further with education, then you keep your priv untill you have fininshed full time education (College, Uni & what-not) And, my parents have told me, I have to be with my mum or dad, to travel for free on the railways. When im 16 however, if I go to college, then i can travel for free, on my tod with the priv! :)

Dependant privs run out when (whichever occurs first):
- You reach 25 (except if you are disabled)
- You have a weekly incoming greater than or equal to £108.30 (at present) (from http://www.atoc.org/rst/_download/app_forms/90003.pdf)

Currently I have:
- FCC Staff dependant pass (unlimited travel on FCC services at any time). When I had the Govia pass which was also valid for free travel on Southern and Thames Trains services I could travel on any service on my own if I wanted to - I never needed to have an active employee with me.

- TOCNE Dependant Privilege discount card (which you receive after the active staff member has had 1 month active service) allowing 75% off SDS/SDR/SOS/SOR tickets. Child Priv tickets get 75% off the child price but always pay a maximum of £2 - i.e. if the child SDR fare is £4 you pay £1, but if the SDR fare is £20 you pay £2.

The other thing with these Priv passes is that not many people are aware of the other quirks they have. You can show it to get FREE travel on Croydon Tramlink, reduced tickets on ferries, and also reduced tickets on private lines. More info: http://www.atoc.org/rst/Travel_%20Facilities_%20Guides.asp

- FIP pass (which you get after the active staff member has had 1 year of active service) allowing discounts on foreign railways - detailed in the relevant document on the page above. These have to be sent back to Rail Staff Travel each year to get the new year sticker put inside.

- First Group 'boxes' - 10 boxes allowing me to travel free of charge on any First service on the date I write in a box and also the day after. When the last box has been filled I get no more until passes are reissued.

There is also a set of restrictions regarding which trains you cannot use free/priv facilities on (mainly because of overcrowding): http://www.atoc.org/rst/_download/restrictions/MAY07%20b+w.pdf and other guidelines such as giving up seats for fare paying passengers, not to board heavily used services etc.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is also a set of restrictions regarding which trains you cannot use free/priv facilities on (mainly because of overcrowding): http://www.atoc.org/rst/_download/restrictions/MAY07%20b+w.pdf and other guidelines such as giving up seats for fare paying passengers, not to board heavily used services etc.

IME I find that such rarely happens, there seems to be an attitude of helping each other out, such that if they were travelling on "your" train they wouldn't like for it to happen to them. Probably also why some staff let others on for free if you ask, or let you off buying a ticket if you got on at an Unstaffed station.

dan_atki said:
Child Priv tickets get 75% off the child price but always pay a maximum of £2 - i.e. if the child SDR fare is £4 you pay £1, but if the SDR fare is £20 you pay £2.

Almost, Child Priv is actually 88% off the adult fare with a maximum of £2 for all tickets except rovers and seasons.

Don't know about TOCNE, but I can also have a season ticket (minimum length 1 month) for going to Education.

Jord

Take a 170 some day. It's still a great ride from Aberdeen-Dundee. I have not yet been lucky enough to catch an HST to/from Aberdeen :(.

lol no chance if i can catch a HST, i will, much prefer to sitting in a unit, do enough of that mainly in England and i can do heads out espiecially over Tay and Forth bridges :D

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=153035#post153035

Click the link and go to the bottom comment, Route Coverage doing heads out or at least standing at the window. lol.

me123

Established Member
Wish I could do heads out over the forth bridge. Really must catch an HST next time I'm going up to Aberdeen.

Jord

lol i'm like a Heads Out veg (if that's the phrase), because every chance i get to do it i will, like i will stand up for the whole time on a Railtour and on a HST where ever i'm going, e.g. HST Aberdeen - Newcastle Via Carlisle on 29th September, i'll be standing for whole journey, there and back

Gizmogle

Established Member
Oh dear...I have to stay in full time education to keep my priv then?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, or a weekly income less than £108.30 pre-tax

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yes, or a weekly income less than £108.30 pre-tax

Darn. I knew about the income thing, but I thought as long as I was just lying around my parents house being dependant it was okay :p

Looks like I may be considering uni then!

Wait...how are they gonna know if I'm not in education?

T

Tom

You have to provide proof that you are still in education. ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had to ask my college for a letter which I could send to TfL staff travel to confirm I was studying full time at their institution.

Tom B

Established Member
IME I find that such rarely happens, there seems to be an attitude of helping each other out, such that if they were travelling on "your" train they wouldn't like for it to happen to them.

Isn't it slightly wrong that somebody who is having their travel paid for by the fare-paying passenger should be occupying a seat instead of the passenger themself?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Isn't it slightly wrong that somebody who is having their travel paid for by the fare-paying passenger should be occupying a seat instead of the passenger themself?

I agree with you there.
And I usually do go sit on the floor (it's rather comfortable!) when my train is full.
But I don't think that many guards would move you from your seat if there were other people having to stand.

Craig

Established Member
It is stated in the terms and conditions that someone using PRIV should give up their seat to any fare paying passengers who were standing. I dunno how well this is enforced though as I normally just sit in the vestibule on busy trains.

Gizmogle

Established Member
It is stated in the terms and conditions that someone using PRIV should give up their seat to any fare paying passengers who were standing. I dunno how well this is enforced though as I normally just sit in the vestibule on busy trains.

I don't think it's something that guards tend to really care about too much. (apart from the jobsworths)

Craig

Established Member
I don't think it's something that guards tend to really care about too much. (apart from the jobsworths)
Yeah, plus most guards (except jobsworths) don't tend to go through the train when they're that full anyway :lol:

The majority of guards I've encountered are pretty good when you're using priv anyway, there loads of times when I've not been charged for tickets/weekend first.

Status
Not open for further replies.