• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_atki

Established Member
I am new to privs as well.. havent a clue what to do with one!

You'll get your TOCNE (Train Operating Company New Entrant's - just a referral you didn't work for British Rail or, on other words you are not 'safeguarded') Privilege discount card after one month of active service for Midland Mainline.

This entitles you to 75% off the price of Standard day/open tickets (i.e. not cheap day) and can be used on all services except LU or Strathclyde PTE.
Although it isn't uncommon for LU to issue priv tickets (seeing as they get priv on NR) but it isn't strictly legitimate.

You use it exactly as you would with any railcard - you go to buy a ticket (from the ticket office it must be as priv discounts aren't in automatic ticket machines) and say 'Could I have a Priv single/return to .....' whilst showing the discount card and then they'll issue the ticket.

They may also want to see your photocard you'll get as well - although I have only been asked for mine once by a jobsworth when I was under 16 when I politely told him 'you should know that I don't need one being under 16'.

Ticket checkers will see your ticket and may ask to see the priv card and the photocard so ensure you keep everything together!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martyn29

You'll get your TOCNE (Train Operating Company New Entrant's - just a referral you didn't work for British Rail or, on other words you are not 'safeguarded') Privilege discount card after one month of active service for Midland Mainline.

This entitles you to 75% off the price of Standard day/open tickets (i.e. not cheap day) and can be used on all services except LU or Strathclyde PTE.
Although it isn't uncommon for LU to issue priv tickets (seeing as they get priv on NR) but it isn't strictly legitimate.

You use it exactly as you would with any railcard - you go to buy a ticket (from the ticket office it must be as priv discounts aren't in automatic ticket machines) and say 'Could I have a Priv single/return to .....' whilst showing the discount card and then they'll issue the ticket.

They may also want to see your photocard you'll get as well - although I have only been asked for mine once by a jobsworth when I was under 16 when I politely told him 'you should know that I don't need one being under 16'.

Ticket checkers will see your ticket and may ask to see the priv card and the photocard so ensure you keep everything together!
thanks for that

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You might find it best to get a three-part ticket holder, one for your photocard, one for your TOC pass and one for your PT Authority Card.

Luckily for me TfL have seen sense and my photocard and PTAC is all on one piece of plastic rather than 3 bits of paper :)

jd

Isn't it slightly wrong that somebody who is having their travel paid for by the fare-paying passenger should be occupying a seat instead of the passenger themself?

Not necessarily, that travel is part of the employee's pay. By the same argument, it's also not fair that the employee gets money paid into their bank account by the train company, while the passenger has to put money into the train company's bank account. The free travel is just a fringe benefit, part of the pay packet. If they took the concession away, the wage would have to go up to replace it, which would rob the rail network of some investment (or perhaps more likely the shareholders of some more champagne).

martyn29

You might find it best to get a three-part ticket holder, one for your photocard, one for your TOC pass and one for your PT Authority Card.

Luckily for me TfL have seen sense and my photocard and PTAC is all on one piece of plastic rather than 3 bits of paper :)

where can you get one from?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Station ticket offices.

W14Fishbourne

It is stated in the terms and conditions that someone using PRIV should give up their seat to any fare paying passengers who were standing. I dunno how well this is enforced though as I normally just sit in the vestibule on busy trains.

The perk is tax-free for most TOC employees. This is on the understanding that staff travel is provided on a marginal basis - in other words, it costs the employer nothing extra to provide the perk. That, of course, only works if there are spare seats. If employees or their dependants were occupying seats needed by fare-paying passengers and, as a result, TOCs had to increase the capacity of trains, the Inland Revenue could get funny and charge tax on the value of the perk.

djw1981

Established Member
How does it work in terms of family PRIvs. I know that for most companies, Health insurance etc is taxed according to the number of people taking it up - ie single staff 'pay' less that those with a wife n 6 weans on the insurance. Surely if the PRIV is part of the pay, it should be for the employee only? Otherwise some staff are 'paid' more than others?

jd

How does it work in terms of family PRIvs. I know that for most companies, Health insurance etc is taxed according to the number of people taking it up - ie single staff 'pay' less that those with a wife n 6 weans on the insurance. Surely if the PRIV is part of the pay, it should be for the employee only? Otherwise some staff are 'paid' more than others?

I must be careful to watch my PC in this post...

The idea of a PRIV hasn't changed much in decades. Back when the idea was first thought up, chances were the man went to work, and the wife and children were dependent on his wage. As such, the man's wage would have been used to pay for any rail travel undertaken by both himself and also his family. Thus, the PRIV extends to family too as it is still saving the employee money. However, this doesn't usually apply to the spouse any more these days, although it's still fully valid for children...

djw1981

Established Member
hmmm... yeah... my pointw as that if it is part of the pay package then it must ahve a certaibn value.

I guess the comparison is a company car - all managers at grade X might get a Ford Mondeo, but the value of it depends how much you use it outside of work use....if you have family 200 miles away and go to see them every weekend, or follow blogtown utd you might rack up thousands a year personal use, but if you have a motorbike and love it, your personal milage would be limited, but the perk has the same taxable rate...

W14Fishbourne

hmmm... yeah... my pointw as that if it is part of the pay package then it must ahve a certaibn value.

I guess the comparison is a company car - all managers at grade X might get a Ford Mondeo, but the value of it depends how much you use it outside of work use....if you have family 200 miles away and go to see them every weekend, or follow blogtown utd you might rack up thousands a year personal use, but if you have a motorbike and love it, your personal milage would be limited, but the perk has the same taxable rate...

On the other hand, the single employee has no ties and is free to hop on a train every day off, while the married employee with kids is probably so busy working overtime to pay for them that he/she never has time to use their boxes!

djw1981

Established Member
You mean that the family use the PRIV to go and see daddy at work, cosd that the only chance they get :):shock:

me123

Established Member
The family'y PRIVs could come in quite useful for a day out, if they each use a box.

andel

£4.50 adult
£2.25 child
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bugger that for a lark then!

Hold up - I was quoting someone else there and their post... wha.. Tom! Your system smells! BUY HEADWEB! HEEEEEDWEEEEEEEB!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Being pedantic here, Andel, but the Child Priv Lincolnshire Day Ranger is £2.15, as the Child Priv fare is 88% of the Adult, not 75% of the Child.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Eh? What's going on, andel posted before I did :s

Anyway, it seems there has been changes to products which Privs can be used on, comparing the current NFM to the one I have stored. It's no longer valid on ones like Coast and Peaks, but is on that Ranger. Privs never used to be valid on Rangers.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah, okay, thankyou :)
Sorry, I got confused cause of the posting mixup lol, blame Tom

T

Tom

It'll be because of andel's double post - it takes the posting time of the second post and displays posts based on that ;)

andel

It'll be because of andel's double post - it takes the posting time of the second post and displays posts based on that ;)

I thought you, as the website buildery person thing, would know how to stop things breaking. I want my money back. And a helicopter... and some nibbles - nothing too fancy though...

T

Tom

How about that fancy new "go everywhere at 100000000mph" wheelchair?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Another quick question :)

Although, it's too late to actually matter now, I was just wondering...

If I'd have left going to college until next year and just sat around on my lazy ass doing nothing for this year, would I have lost my priv until I was back in education/all together?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well aren't you helpful :p

Also, is there a decent day ranger with priv discount that gets the parts of Merseyside that I need?

T

Tom

Yep - you'd have lost the priv.

Very few rovers afaik get priv discounts!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Bleurgh. That sucks.
I'm trying to ration my boxes as I'm running out fast (thanks to VWC!)

Oh, another question! (I'm just full of the things today)
Do I get discount on Weekend First upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.