• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Boodiggy

There will still be three speed profiles.

Simply Voyager EPS gets replaced by an new MU profile. The speeds are different but the number of profiles is the same.

Partly comparable to having to learn a whole new profile from scratch when the EPS speeds came in originally presumably?
The new MU speeds are not the same as the Voyagers current speeds!
Lots more 115/120 MU speeds where Voyagers would have been at 125 EPS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Whitmore is 110/EPS125 without any local signs, as it's within the long 16-mile section from Norton Bridge to Basford Hall.
So what speed will 80x do round those sharp reverse curves if there are no new local signs?
Similarly on stretches like Armitage-Rugeley.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The new MU speeds are not the same as the Voyagers current speeds!
Lots more 115/120 MU speeds where Voyagers would have been at 125 EPS.
I never said they were. I said that the Voyager EPS is replaced by an MU profile, meaning that there will no longer be a Voyager EPS profile and a new MU profile will be introduced. Nowhere did I say they were the same, I appreciate they are not.

Efini92

Established Member
Whitmore is 110/EPS125 without any local signs, as it's within the long 16-mile section from Norton Bridge to Basford Hall.
So what speed will 80x do round those sharp reverse curves if there are no new local signs?
My guess is we’ll either see new speed boards or they’ll do 110.

Boodiggy

I never said they were. I said that the Voyager EPS is replaced by an MU profile, meaning that there will no longer be a Voyager EPS profile and a new MU profile will be introduced. Nowhere did I say they were the same, I appreciate they are not.
oh dear. I misread your message.

Some bits its 110 PS others its 120 MU for the 805/807

Boodiggy

yes - and I’ve seen a new board up (bagged) but I’ll be damned if I can remember where it was! Somewhere between Euston and Crewe if that helps ;)
Trying to remember where I have seen them now.. I think it was in the Trent Valley, although I know the project to install bases and bagged signs has been going on for a while.

The Planner

Veteran Member
120mph between 140-146 mile post (so Whitmore), 110 between 146-148 and 120 again between 148 and 155 (Basford Hall)
Trent Valley is 125mph between 90½ miles (Shilton ish) to Nuneaton, 115 between 104 miles and Polesworth, 115 between Tamworth and just prior to Lichfield and 115 from just after Lichfield to Brereton. 110mph everywhere else (apart from Atherstone obviously)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
120mph between 140-146 mile post (so Whitmore), 110 between 146-148 and 120 again between 148 and 155 (Basford Hall)
Trent Valley is 125mph between 90½ miles (Shilton ish) to Nuneaton, 115 between 104 miles and Polesworth, 115 between Tamworth and just prior to Lichfield and 115 from just after Lichfield to Brereton. 110mph everywhere else (apart from Atherstone obviously)
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.
So plenty more lineside signage, as I thought, and several dips to 110.
It's not exactly a saw-tooth profile, but I imagine will be quite tricky to drive without EPS.
I must have a gander up the WCML to see how many signs are installed ready for the change.
I wonder if this profile will still be there when HS2 arrives at Handsacre (assuming it does).

The Planner

Veteran Member
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing.
So plenty more lineside signage, as I thought, and several dips to 110.
It's not exactly a saw-tooth profile, but I imagine will be quite tricky to drive without EPS.
I must have a gander up the WCML to see how many signs are installed ready for the change.
I wonder if this profile will still be there when HS2 arrives at Handsacre (assuming it does).
No reason why it shouldn't be.

Railperf

Established Member
What will the new MU speeds be between Euston and Shilton and the remainder Basford to Weaver?

Boodiggy

What will the new MU speeds be between Euston and Shilton and the remainder Basford to Weaver?
There is a whole profile for the route so will be between PS and EPS. Some places like Weedon have no MU speed. Some place it will match either the PS or EPS.
There are large stretches of 115mph and few 120mph
I think there are a few changes to EPS but I need to check. Looks like the 125EPS carries on through Watford to the tunnel instead of having the gap from Carpenders Park.

Last edited:

Efini92

Established Member
I think there are a few changes to EPS but I need to check. Looks like the 125EPS carries on through Watford to the tunnel instead of having the gap from Carpenders Park.
At least some good will come out of all the madness.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The speed round Queensville curve at Stafford will be interesting.
The SRA originally postulated 90mph for EPS before the upgrade work was done, but it was eventually signed for 75/85EPS.

We currently have mostly a 2-speed WCML (110/125EPS), with a few lower EPS differentials at specific sites for Voyagers, but in the future it will mostly be a 3-speed WCML (PS/MU/EPS).

Boodiggy

The SRA originally postulated 90mph for EPS before the upgrade work was done, but it was eventually signed for 75/85EPS.

We currently have mostly a 2-speed WCML (110/125EPS), with a few lower EPS differentials at specific sites for Voyagers, but in the future it will mostly be a 3-speed WCML (PS/MU/EPS).
Of all the locations Queensville / Stafford has little change! But as you say the rest will be a 3-speed route.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Can't be more than 3, standards don't allow it.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It was nothing to do with the SRA. The EPS linespeed profile was set in 1998 (with a few exceptions, eg Rugby), fully 2 years before the SRA came into being.

The_Train

Established Member
805001 reported to be heading back to Oxley from Old Dalby today

Established Member

william.martin

On Moderation
Train is on the move now, about 10 minutes away from Nuneaton.
Path from Real train times attached below:-

I thought this was it https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K05243/2023-04-04/detailed

RobShipway

Established Member
will the 805/7s be used on Euston to Preston Semi-fasts
Not sure, but might go through Preston on Blackpool services.
Not sure if it is going to happen, but I believe one of the original ideas was to be using the class 807's on services to Wolverhampton and Blackpool services, with the class 805 units on services to Chester, Shrewsbury and Holyhead.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Not sure if it is going to happen, but I believe one of the original ideas was to be using the class 807's on services to Wolverhampton and Blackpool services, with the class 805 units on services to Chester, Shrewsbury and Holyhead.
based on the timing adjustments in Dec 2022, Liverpool services will be likely to get them.