• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Benjwri

Established Member
Does look like they've gone for a very low density interior, which is most welcome. I'd love to see a seating plan but am not aware of one having "escaped" yet.
Sitting on a Class 800 GWR service now and it looks the same density but better aligned with the window, although the window looks smaller than that of a Class 800?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member

AlastairFraser

Established Member
That is indeed an 805
View attachment 133934you can very slightly make out the number 805 001 but it is indeed quite obscured.
Just seen it on RTT, it is the test service our member from Stafford saw yesterday, heading towards Glasgow.

It'll be 805001 on 5Q90 18.34 Oxley Car M.D - Glasgow Central and 5Q91 the 2312 return. The regular paths I understand.
Snap!

Here's the RTT link: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K05044/2023-04-26/detailed

AlastairFraser

Established Member
It's interesting that the path mimics a stopping service to Glasgow, despite there being no intention of running them in revenue service up here.
The electric 807s may be used on Brum to Glasgow, right? And they're not that dissimilar, it's running in electric mode the vast majority of the distance.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The electric 807s may be used on Brum to Glasgow, right? And they're not that dissimilar, it's running in electric mode the vast majority of the distance.
I believe it's the other of the three Birmingham services - the new semi-fast. I understand the through service to Scotland should be one of the 'fast' paths and a 390.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I believe it's the other of the three Birmingham services - the new semi-fast. I understand the through service to Scotland should be one of the 'fast' paths and a 390.

Correct, they're intended for the Euston-Watford-MKC-Rugby-Coventry-Intl-New St semifast and the second Liverpool. Currently the Scotland service runs in that semifast path south of Brum but it won't once the 807s are in service and they have enough staff.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
They're not intended to be used on those, though if the second Liverpool doesn't start then who knows?
The semi-fast might end up being a stopper with Avanti's rate of cancellations though
Pre-empting themselves :D :D :D

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Correct, they're intended for the Euston-Watford-MKC-Rugby-Coventry-Intl-New St semifast and the second Liverpool. Currently the Scotland service runs in that semifast path south of Brum but it won't once the 807s are in service and they have enough staff.
The intention anyway

The semi-fast might end up being a stopper with Avanti's rate of cancellations though
Pre-empting themselves
In which case there will be a free 390 they can use anyway! ;)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's interesting that the path mimics a stopping service to Glasgow, despite there being no intention of running them in revenue service up here.
Won't it just be for gauging purposes, so that the class can be cleared throughout the Avanti network?
One day an 805 will make it to Holyhead/Wrexham/Shrewsbury, which are intended to be their main theatre of off-wire operation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Won't it just be for gauging purposes, so that the class can be cleared throughout the Avanti network?
One day an 805 will make it to Holyhead/Wrexham/Shrewsbury, which are intended to be their main theatre of off-wire operation.

80x can already go up there, TPE have run one in service. It'll just be a convenient test path.

jagardner1984

PresumAbly as per the Voyager’s recent role with Carstairs - potential for a need for diesel traction in otherwise electric only routes will be high.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
PresumAbly as per the Voyager’s recent role with Carstairs - potential for a need for diesel traction in otherwise electric only routes will be high.
You'd hope/think so, but I suspect Avanti may simply insist on running rail replacement busses in times of disruption/engineering work taking place.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I saw 805 001 on the through lines at Crewe around 1140 today, but it moved off southwards before I could get close.

Rail Quest

Suffered an issue with low power so never made it further than Crewe, but was planned for Glasgow. Returned to Oxley
Ahh OK - thanks for the info!

I saw 805 001 on the through lines at Crewe around 1140 today, but it moved off southwards before I could get close.
Ahh, could this have been after she left Crewe Down Refuse? This video showed her heading for it when she first failed

Nev20

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I’ve just booked a ticket for May 20th on 7:21 from New Street down to Euston. On RTT it’s pathed as an 800x what’s the score with this? Are they due in by then?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered already, but I’ve just booked a ticket for May 20th on 7:21 from New Street down to Euston. On RTT it’s pathed as an 800x what’s the score with this? Are they due in by then?
The timing was put in on Dec 22 timetable change as they're a bit slower due to lack of tilt, it's very likely to be the usual Class 390 (or a 221 if that was shown when you booked your tickets).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No. This is a case where the timetable has been adjusted prior to the trains entering service. Because they cannot meet existing timings the timetable has to be tweaked in advance.

But in the opposite situation where a new train can match the existing timings, or better them, the timetable would be altered once all the new trains were in service.