• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

signed

1D83 0902 Euston-Holyhead on June 12 seems to be pathed as 80x (2x805 until Crewe), the AWC website seat map has 805 graphics and no Advance are available tickets as well.

1716192592861.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

signed

What's with the random seats with no number
First thinking would be that it is made so that only the seats actually on a Voyager are available, to accommodate for a change of stock, but that can also be a bug.

Already reserved?
Already reserved seats are greyed out

To note also that :
- on the double set up to Crewe, first class coach on lead seems to be Coach J (with end of train graphics),
- After Crewe, on the lead train continuing to Holyhead, the FC is Coach K which also has end of train graphics, but Coach K was the second train FC not the lead one.

My guess after seeing this is that their seat planner for the new stock is just buggy as hell and will probably be fixed once sets actually get on service.

Last edited:

AJDesiro

The June 2024 edition of Modern Railways has a short article about the 805s introduction.

They're expected to enter service in "early June" alongside the timetable change, but they may be introduced on the 1st of June for positioning purposes. The 805s are expected to be introduced on NWC services, not the London-West Midlands services they were originally touted to be introduced first on, presumably due to the axing of the Shrewsbury trains—807s to follow later.

No mention of Liverpool whatsoever.

DJH1971

Established Member
The June 2024 edition of Modern Railways has a short article about the 805s introduction.

They're expected to enter service in "early June" alongside the timetable change, but they may be introduced on the 1st of June for positioning purposes. The 805s are expected to be introduced on NWC services, not the London-West Midlands services they were originally touted to be introduced first on, presumably due to the axing of the Shrewsbury trains—807s to follow later.

No mention of Liverpool whatsoever.
Looking like the 807's are becoming a bit of a white elephant with their rather limited route availability.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Looking like the 807's are becoming a bit of a white elephant with their rather limited route availability.
there are only 10 of them - so they couldn't be used on many routes in any case;

As I understand it, in the long term they'll be used on Blackpool North, Birmingham and Liverpool services - which is more than enough

DJH1971

Established Member
there are only 10 of them - so they couldn't be used on many routes in any case;

As I understand it, in the long term they'll be used on Blackpool North, Birmingham and Liverpool services - which is more than enough
Heard they won't be able to work North of Crewe for the time being.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Heard they won't be able to work North of Crewe for the time being.
yes, as has been reported in this thread, due to limitations on the power supply they won't be able to work to Liverpool (not sure about Blackpool) - However the power supply should be upgraded so that will be a temporary limitation, and the 805s are ahead of the 807 in delivery anyway

hwl

Established Member
yes, as has been reported in this thread, due to limitations on the power supply they won't be able to work to Liverpool (not sure about Blackpool) - However the power supply should be upgraded so that will be a temporary limitation, and the 805s are ahead of the 807 in delivery anyway
Is the power supply issue Crewe - Weaver Junction area or from Weaver Jn to Lime Street (or both)?

Nottingham59

Established Member
Is the power supply issue Crewe - Weaver Junction area or from Weaver Jn to Lime Street (or both)?
Both.

According to this PWI presentation "NW&C 25kV Future Electrification requirements", there are no concerns south of Crewe, but the whole line between Crewe and Lime Street, and between Crewe and Euxton is classed as Yellow: "There are concerns for the ability of Feeder Stations to continue their current output without interventions". And the line between Euxton and Blackpool is classed red, with "Safety Concerns" at Catteral feeder station.

See chart on p16

Last edited:

Trainbike46

Established Member
Both.

According to this PWI presentation "NW&C 25kV Future Electrification requirements", there are no concerns south of Crewe, but the whole line between Crewe and Lime Street, and between Crewe and Euxton is classed as Yellow: "There are concerns for the ability of Feeder Stations to continue their current output without interventions". And the line between Euxton and Blackpool is classed red, with "Safety Concerns" at Catteral feeder station.

See chart on p16
Wasn't the line to Blackpool North electrified fairly recently? How are there already safety concerns?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Wasn't the line to Blackpool North electrified fairly recently? How are there already safety concerns?
The parallel power upgrade programme was not completed on these sections - they are still using 1970s switchgear.
The autotransfomer programme for the WCML was pulled before completion.
Partly that was down to the end of coal traffic (planned for electric haulage) reducing the business case for the upgrade north of Crewe.

Some guy

as the TPE 802s currently do at Euxton junction going northbound the 805s could run on diesel between Crewe and Preston until upgrades have been completed

hwl

Established Member
Both.

See chart on p16
Thanks, very interesting.

poffle

I noticed that the West Midlands Voyager services seem to be mostly single Voyagers at present. I presume this may be related to the Voyagers going off lease.

It maybe from the new timetable with the dropping of Shrewsbury and with completion of the 9 car Pendolino upgrade that there might be possible to run some of the West Midland semi fasts with Pendolinos pending 807 availability.

Also I've seen comments here about the seats being offered by the Avanti seat reservation tool post timetable change.

I'm travelling to Holyhead today ( pre timetable change) and I noticed that the Avanti seat reservation tool would only offer a single Voyager to choose seats in even though the service is a double voyager.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I noticed that the West Midlands Voyager services seem to be mostly single Voyagers at present. I presume this may be related to the Voyagers going off lease.

It maybe from the new timetable with the dropping of Shrewsbury and with completion of the 9 car Pendolino upgrade that there might be possible to run some of the West Midland semi fasts with Pendolinos pending 807 availability.

Also I've seen comments here about the seats being offered by the Avanti seat reservation tool post timetable change.

I'm travelling to Holyhead today ( pre timetable change) and I noticed that the Avanti seat reservation tool would only offer a single Voyager to choose seats in even though the service is a double voyager.

Does your train drop a set in Crewe or Chester though?

Boodiggy

Just checked on RTT and - for example - Monday to Friday two of the five Euston->Holyhead services stop at Tamworth and Lichfield.

Neither of them are 312m, I make them about 295m (Tamworth) and 270m (Lichfield) maximum from Google Earth, so the official usable length is probably a bit less.
Not sure if you are aware but there is testing this week of 805 + 807.
Not related to passenger use but EMC testing and tomorrow is the last day of the week of the tests.
Oxley - Wolves - New St - Stafford - Euston - Crewe - New St - Oxley.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Not sure if you are aware but there is testing this week of 805 + 807.
Not related to passenger use but EMC testing and tomorrow is the last day of the week of the tests.
Oxley - Wolves - New St - Stafford - Euston - Crewe - New St - Oxley.
Do you know the head codes or times ?.

Looks like it is
5Q96 into Euston p16 at 10:57 and
5Q97 from Euston p16 at 12:05.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thursday 23rd May
RTT shows 5Q96/97 Cancelled
Thanks, I think. Well saves me a trip out.

In other news I fished around and found this

This train runs as required​

This service runs on an as required basis, and it has not yet been activated in the railway computer systems. This alert will disappear if the train is activated.
If the service should have departed by now, this normally means it is not running. If the train is set to run in the future, then check again closer to the time.
  • UID S52113, identity 5Q94
    TSC 22112001
  • STP schedule
    SSuX - 20/05/2024 to 24/05/2024
  • Empty Coaching Stock
  • Great Britain (Network Rail, TPS)
  • Pathed as Class 80x on electric
    Planned for 125mph max
  • Runs as required
Operated by Avanti West Coast
Departs Euston at 17:05
Arrives Blackpool North at 20:00

It ends up at Blackpool and it is pathed as 80X on electric. It is only a "runs as required" but I wonder how this fits with the juice not strong enough North of Crewe argument ?.

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It ends up at Blackpool and it is pathed as 80X on electric. It is only a "runs as required" but I wonder how this fits with the juice not strong enough North of Crewe argument ?.
The 80x have had loads of test runs North of Crewe, routinely running to Lancaster, a single test run is quite different to running a full service.

Boodiggy

Thanks, I think. Well saves me a trip out.

In other news I fished around and found this

This train runs as required​

This service runs on an as required basis, and it has not yet been activated in the railway computer systems. This alert will disappear if the train is activated.
If the service should have departed by now, this normally means it is not running. If the train is set to run in the future, then check again closer to the time.
  • UID S52113, identity 5Q94
    TSC 22112001
  • STP schedule
    SSuX - 20/05/2024 to 24/05/2024
  • Empty Coaching Stock
  • Great Britain (Network Rail, TPS)
  • Pathed as Class 80x on electric
    Planned for 125mph max
  • Runs as required
Operated by Avanti West Coast
Departs Euston at 17:05
Arrives Blackpool North at 20:00

807 is out next week on its own, PIS testing Crewe - Euston via the West Mids.
Headcodes 5Q71 - 5Q74

TheWalrus

Established Member
Do we know yet if the 805/807s will be in service in July? Planning a trip to North Wales potentially and wouldn’t mond trying out the new trains if they’re in service.

dk1

Veteran Member
Do we know yet if the 805/807s will be in service in July? Planning a trip to North Wales potentially and wouldn’t mond trying out the new trains if they’re in service.

I thought MR magazine quoted 805s introduced during June. The 807s are some way off yet.