• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Because they do - the single seats are REALLY prized by e.g. business travellers wanting to work in private. The lack of these in Pendolinos is a bit annoying, particularly as people are more "packed in" in First/Standard Premium than they were due to the reduced number of coaches - before, a table for two to yourself was near guaranteed.

Standard, interestingly, has a very high proportion of tables with just 72 seats per vehicle (if I recall from above) instead of the more usual 86. It all looks very "Coach D"!

Sorry for slow response (I did reply quite quickly) but my objection was not to the single seats, but that they all faced the same way. If the 2 seat table could be towards the middle with seats each side facing it, there would be an even chance of a facing seat on both up and down trains.
But perhaps I'm the only one who still likes to look out of the window; trains, passing through very rural landscape, provide a good opportunity to see birds of prey, larger mammals and general wildlife, as well as the colours of the changing seasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Not sure if this is correct thread, but as it is for Avanti West Coast and for operation on Hitachi trains seems correct.

Seems they need upto 708 catering carts, and have issued a tender

1 buyer​

Description​

AWC require to purchase up to 708 catering carts for use on Hitachi trains as follows. Service Carts shows images of similar carts in operation on other Hitachi Trains in the UK and their dimensions. Our new carts would need to be comparable. a) Dimensions • Overall (L x B x H): 518 x 300.4 x 930mm • Top Recess: 39mm There should be a means to restrain a drawer/slop bucket on the top of the cart, by way of handrails or similar (see picture for current) b) Weight Whilst rail does not have the same weight limitation of airlines, we expect that an empty cart weighs no more than: • Empty: 18kg • Capacity: 62kg • Max gross weight: 80kg c) Key Features: i. Two doors, you will need to state if the doors are left, or right side hinged. ii. Door should be able to be fully opened, flat against side of cart, and be held there by magnet. iii. Two way, four-pedal foot operated brake system, iv. Powder coated doors of one colour. Tenderers will need to state if there are colour options. v. Three-point turn lock, sealable by cable tie or similar. vi. At least 3 Internal runners, spaced circa 146 mm apart. Four runners shall be required if no internal mid shelf is provided. These should support the use of 5 of the drawers within each cart. vii. There is no requirement to provide an internal shelf at the mid height in place of a runner, However, the supplier shall state whether this shall be part of their preferred design and if not confirm that the strength/support to the cart shall be appropriate for the intended use without this support. We want the positioning of any internal shelf to maximise the space available, so that there is minimal space loss due to the drawer positioning, avoiding wasted space. viii. Option for external bumpers along the longest side of the cart (but not impeding door fully opening). Two bump strips per side. Tenderer to provide a cost with and without these bump strips. ix. Corner protectors on the 4 top corners (these can be fitted post-delivery by the tenderer, but tenderers will need to state if these are or are not included in the initial delivery or fitted after) x. Cart top should be durable, flat and easily wipeable. xi. All internal surfaces should be smooth, and easily cleanable for hygiene purposes (no hidden nooks, ledges etc)

Total Quantity or Scope​

Purchase of catering carts for Hitachi

Renewal Options​

We will need an optional 12 months renewal (1 year)

CPV Codes​

• 34911100 - Trolleys

Indicators​

• This is a one-off contract (no recurrence)
  • Renewals are available.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Not sure if this is correct thread, but as it is for Avanti West Coast and for operation on Hitachi trains seems correct.

Seems they need upto 708 catering carts, and have issued a tender

Crickey, 708 carts must be one cart for each coach on the entire 805 & 807 fleet ?.

EDIT - 135 coaches so so just over 5 carts per coach !. How much food will they sell ?.

Last edited:

Skie

Crickey, 708 carts must be one cart for each coach on the entire 805 & 807 fleet ?.

EDIT - 135 coaches so so just over 5 carts per coach !. How much food will they sell ?.
It’s carts for the catering and shop supplies, not the trolley. They’re basically mobile shelves that can be swapped out and sent to be refilled, hence why they need more than just a trains worth.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It’s carts for the catering and shop supplies, not the trolley. They’re basically mobile shelves that can be swapped out and sent to be refilled, hence why they need more than just a trains worth.
Looking at is as units its 23 catering coaches. that is 30 carts per unit.

I can imagine 50% will be off the train being replenished so 15 carts on each unit at a time. Thats a lot of space ?.

AJDesiro

Looking at is as units its 23 catering coaches. that is 30 carts per unit.

I can imagine 50% will be off the train being replenished so 15 carts on each unit at a time. Thats a lot of space ?.
There’s 46 catering coaches, each first class driving carriage and the shop carriage. This seems like a reasonable amount.

Skie

It’s probably more than 50% off the train at any one time too, operations like this tend to need a fair old bit of slack. If it’s anything like airlines they won’t refill them anywhere near the stations.

Voyager lad

If it helps, on a 9 car LNER Azuma, we have a total of 25 carts, split as follows:

Coach M (kitchen) has 15 carts:
3 Food Carts, 3 Drink Carts, 2 Plate Carts, 2 Cup Carts, 1 Glass Cart, 2 Ambient Carts & 2 Service Delivery Carts

Coach L has 1 Glass Cart

Coach G (cafe bar) has 5/6 carts:
2 Chilled Carts, 1 Ambient Carts & 2/3 Resource Carts in the cupboard

Coaches C, H & J each have an emergency supplies cart (water and snacks)

I don’t often work 5 cars but off the top of my head they have either 18 or 19 carts

Hope that helps!

Established Member
Although doesn’t seem to of left yet, so would be 0925 before it can next leave due to paths on the Bishop Branch.

Also path was auto activated, so unlikely to run.

1D54

Although doesn’t seem to of left yet, so would be 0925 before it can next leave due to paths on the Bishop Branch.

Also path was auto activated, so unlikely to run.

This service is cancelled.​

This service was cancelled due to a request by the train operator (FL).

Established Member
805006 and 805007 running together Merchant Park to Oxley now as 5Q32 running under there own power, the previous deliveries have been loco hauled.

1D54

Thank you for the information on this, i saw them at Syston even though RTT were showing it as cancelled when it quite clearly wasn't.

CTS1990

Sorry if this has been asked before...but are they planned to operate at 125mph in service. I assume neither the 805 or 807s tilt, so would that limit them to 110mph?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Sorry if this has been asked before...but are they planned to operate at 125mph in service. I assume neither the 805 or 807s tilt, so would that limit them to 110mph?
The new 80x do indeed, not tilt.

A new MU speed profile has been developed. This will mostly permit MU 115 or 120 in what are currently EPS 125 sections as I recall, but there will be some MU 125 as well.

(It is worth pointing out that tilt is purely for comfort; it is completely safe to run at all EPS speeds without tilting - at least safe for passengers, maybe less so for the cup of coffee on the table ;) )

Jimini

Established Member
(It is worth pointing out that tilt is purely for comfort; it is completely safe to run at all EPS speeds without tilting - at least safe for passengers, maybe less so for the cup of coffee on the table ;) )

Indeed -- I was on a Pendolino on Sunday out of Euston that (for whatever reason) had the tilt disabled. Didn't notice at first, but when we got to Berkhamsted it became very apparent!

stadler

May i ask does anyone know if the 807 are actually a pure EMU that can not move away from the wires just like the 803 trains? Or are the 807 actually a bi mode just like the 801 that have a small diesel engine and have the ability to move using their diesel engine in an emergency? The 801 were often advertised as pure EMU trains when in fact they are bi modes so i wonder if the 807 are the same?

AJDesiro

May i ask does anyone know if the 807 are actually a pure EMU that can not move away from the wires just like the 803 trains? Or are the 807 actually a bi mode just like the 801 that have a small diesel engine and have the ability to move using their diesel engine in an emergency? The 801 were often advertised as pure EMU trains when in fact they are bi modes so i wonder if the 807 are the same?
I believe the 807s are pure EMUs, with no diesel generators for backup.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Serves me right for using Wikipedia - their entry says both classes are due to enter service in 2023.
They would rather leave an article severely outdated and erroneous than publish a change without a "suitable" source. Even a photo of something clearly happening isn't trusted.