• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prosecution help required for journey from London to Stansted

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are these the only questions that you were asked, or are there other ones which you cannot remember?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amit

not remember exactly... i was in half sleep during that time... coz of long night shift

34D

Established Member
First question to answer - what date is printed on the ticket.

Second question - what date and time (24 hour clock) did you actually travel?

Flamingo

Established Member
From what the OP said, he should have bought an Anytime Return (£31.50 according to National Rail site).

If the OP bought an Off-Peak Day Return (£24) for the outward journey, it would only have been valid for the day of travel and until 04.29 the following day for the return journey. An excess is not appropriate if caught on that ticket the following day, a new ticket is.

The OP has already said it was an OFF_PEAK DAY RETURN. If the OP is travelling to work and this is their regular journey and regular ticket to purchase, they are habitually making the return journey on an invalid ticket, and have been caught.

Indignant letters claiming they are only liable for an excess won't do them any good, if that is the scenario. Don't forget, although they have been questioned about one journey, if it is a regular journey, they might be well know to the revenue staff from frequent observation and have been targeted because of this.

(Also, IMHO, the OP is avoiding the difficult questions that have been repeatedly asked - what was the date on the ticket, and how much did it cost. That is suspicious, in my mind.)

soil

Established Member
I am not sure he is avoiding it.

Would like to know the date of travel and date on the ticket, as repeatedly requested, however.

He said his ticket was from Liverpool Street to Stansted and he boarded at Liverpool Street, so this shouldn't be an issue of breaking a ticket over a day.

If you started work at midnight and finished 8am for instance, then it would be reasonably logical to buy a day return to take you home from work and then back again to start in the evening.

He could probably have got a much cheaper ticket anyway.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Would like to know the date of travel and date on the ticket, as repeatedly requested, however.
Already answered.
the date was correct everything was ok .accept my traveling time was not correct.and i failed to show the valid ticket as per the inspector said as the ticket is for offpeak time not for peak.

snail

Established Member
yes it is printed correct but the only matter i was travelling at peak time .i purchase the ticket a day before .
I still don't understand exactly what was happening here.

Which part of the ticket did you show to the inspector? Was it the one marked OUT or the one marked RTN?

Had you made a journey the previous day? Was this on a different ticket?

tony_mac

Established Member
Already answered.

Probably; but given the generally unclear language, I would rather see it answered more specifically.

I still don't understand exactly what was happening here.
No, neither do I.
I am not sure that writing a letter of apology and offer of payment based on guessing what is alleged to have happened is at all a sensible approach.
For all we know, it may even contain outright lies.

We don't even know what accusation was made in the letter from the prosecutions department - that has to be a starting point in deciding how to respond.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am refraining from saying any more at this stage until the OP can be a bit more detailed in his account of things, which has been repeatedly requested before.

Status
Not open for further replies.