• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prospective Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Sorry to be a moaner, but I seem to be repeating myself an awful lot.

Firstly, welcome to all new members who are hoping to join the footplate and the best of luck in your endeavours. Please do stick around and let us know how you get on. However, please read the thread entitled "Becoming a Train Driver" together with the website linked to in that thread first before asking for advice.

I expect that you will find the answers to any questions you may have there together with more links to take you further. If there is anything else, please do not hesitate to ask and we'll provide whatever information and advice we can.

Thank you. :)

O L Leigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Thread stickied

If we can keep all questions in that one thread, it will be more helpful to those looking for information too.

bloogrape

Good site to learn items from. I have applied for Mainline Driver and have been shortlisted, here is my blog

[link removed as it did not work]

rostill2007

hi all im new and i would like to know how to go a bout getting a shunting job as im under 21 with the idea of driving passengers afterwards i have read through the link above and am wondering wether shunting requires the same tests/ selection process of driving passengers, any advice much appreciated

ungreat

Shunters dont drive trains mate.Get a shunters job and you are pulling points and in charge of the sidings you are based at.

There are no psychometric tests for shunters

ungreat

Yes.

Apply for a shunters job lol. Depending on your age,you will be limited to what you are allowed to do job wise on the railway.Under 18,virtually nothing,over 18 and under 21,a few more things and over 21 everything.

rostill2007

ok mate thanks i assume you have to start as a trainee to be a shunter. also where is the best place to search for this kind of job as google flags up mainly sites that just link you to different sites that arent much use

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Check TOC of FOC websites or write directly to their HR department, and yes, unless you are qualified in the grade you will start as a trainee.....like most jobs;)

rostill2007

ok buddy cheers will try do you guys think im likely to find a place in birmingham or is it just best to take a job were ever i can i dont mind moving/ travelling will this be a good point to mention in any cover letters i write many thanks in advance

ungreat

I know FCC are recruiting for both shunters and drivers...was told the other day that there will be a lot of recruiting for trainee drivers very soon at FCC

rostill2007

hi thanks for letting me know about that i have had a look on the fcc site it doesnt say wether the shunter job gives training do you think maybe im better off finding a "normal" job for now until i can just apply for trainee driver positions when im 21 next year? im really not sure what to do

ChrisM66

Hello to you all,nice forum.:D

I bet you get asked this loads of times please forgive me if thats the case but if you dont ask and all that :p

I am 44 and have reached a bit of a crossroads in my life and am thinking about if i would be train driver material.

After coming out of the army i trained as an electrician which i have been doing for around 16 years now ,working as self employed for the last six years,my job is not what it was and think its time for a change.

I have a good aptitude for science and maths which came in handy as a sparkie,and have a good grasp of anything mechanical,i can remain calm under pressure, learn quickly,and im in good health.

I have been checking all the main sites looking for trainee train driver positions but nothing yet.

Be honest am i wasting my time thinking about this or should i go for it and hope for the best,i do realise its difficult getting in from outside the industry.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

387star

On Moderation
Hi there are train driver vacancies for Northern at the moment.

Being in the army is fantastic experience and I'd say sets you at an advantage

ChrisM66

Cheers for the reply,i have seen the northern one but dont fancy relocating to york,i have applied for the reading one for the oxford depot.

I am just within the 1 hour limit for oxford but would be willing to move closer if needs be.

bailey19

Hi mate noticed you have applied for the trainee train driver at FGW as well ive applied for the reading post not sure how long we will be waiting for a reply fingers crossed it wont be long .Also applied for guard and commercial guard at SWT very keen to work in the rail enviroment ive worked as a self employed decorator for years and been wai iting for this sort of job oppertunity to come a long .all the best with your application mate .

greg.g

Hi there, my name is Greg and I'm new to the forum. First of all, big thank you to all of you for creating such a insightful source of information.

I was wondering whether you know if

www.railwayregister.care4free.net/becoming_a_train_driver.htm

has changed its address? I tried to access it however it seems like the content has been removed. That would be a real shame as I noticed that many users refer to it in their posts. Thank you in advance for your help guys.

EirikhO

Hi there, my name is Greg and I'm new to the forum. First of all, big thank you to all of you for creating such a insightful source of information.

has changed its address? I tried to access it however it seems like the content has been removed. That would be a real shame as I noticed that many users refer to it in their posts. Thank you in advance for your help guys.

The page does indeed seem to be deleted, but there's a cached version from 2008 here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20081219174114/http://www.railwayregister.care4free.net/becoming_a_train_driver.htm.
Note that this is an exact copy of how the page looked like in mid-December 2008.

greg.g

Thanks a lot for your help! By any chance does anyone know where can you get the Group Bourdon Tool 2.0 from Digital Reality? The download section on their website doesn't seem to be working

HOPEFUL1

Hi I have a medical coming up for a trainee driver post - I know I am generally fit -hearing sight is fine and no drink or drug issues but can anyone tell me what the mobility tests involve.

Thanks

TDK

Established Member
Hi I have a medical coming up for a trainee driver post - I know I am generally fit -hearing sight is fine and no drink or drug issues but can anyone tell me what the mobility tests involve.

Thanks

Stand on one leg, finger to finger pointing, squatting and balance, I have had a recent medical and this is what I had to do, you also have to have an ECG and blood pressure. Dont drink anything with caffeine or smoke before the medical by the way

HOPEFUL1

Many thanks - how far away did you start with the finger to finger test. Which TOC are you joining

TDK

Established Member
Many thanks - how far away did you start with the finger to finger test. Which TOC are you joining

I haven't got a clue what distance the finger to finger excercise was and I am already in a TOC.

LCC106

Established Member
Stand on one leg, finger to finger pointing, squatting and balance, I have had a recent medical and this is what I had to do, you also have to have an ECG and blood pressure. Dont drink anything with caffeine or smoke before the medical by the way

Hi there! Interested in why you shouldn't drink caffeine prior to the medical - especially since I am a caffeine fiend <D ... Any ideas please?

Caffeine and Smoking can increase blood pressure which may put you outside normal parameters. Caffeine may also give you 'missed beats' known as ectopic beats on an ECG (which are harmless) but it may then cause them to have to investigate your cardiac history more in depth.

LCC106

Established Member
Ah! Thanks for that. Luckily my blood pressure has always been normal but I will watch my intake (if and) when I get to that stage!

Railsigns

Established Member

That site is now at: http://www.traindriver.org/

Louby

I got short listed for Northern, but failed my DSI but I know where I went wrong, once I pass this (and I will) does anyone know what cmes next???

Status
Not open for further replies.