• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions for people who have used e-tickets

What do you think of e-tickets ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashkeba

Established Member
Because there are more reasons not to want your phone battery to run out than railway ticketing. I don't carry one because of e-tickets, I carry one because I want to use my phone for a whole plethora of things.
And when your battery drops to 20% and you've no battery pack handy, put the phone in battery save and travel/airplane mode and keep it for ticket display and emergencies. It's not difficult if you've an ounce of discipline instead of twitbookgramming every spare time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
If you've got a bag of any kind with you, why not just carry a battery pack which removes this worry?

I have never had a phone which would facilitate display of an e-ticket. A couple of weeks back a poster who apparently works in the industry strongly suggested that, in the not too distant future, I would need such a device if I wished to travel by train*. Now the suggestion seems to be that I should also have a battery pack and a bag to carry it in !

At present, all I need is a virtually weightless ticket wallet in which to place my card tickets. Despite the almost religious zeal of some proponents, nothing I am seeing on this thread convinces me that changing from paper to e-tickets will improve my travelling experience.

* I requested confirmation that was what they were really saying, but there was no response.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And when your battery drops to 20% and you've no battery pack handy, put the phone in battery save and travel/airplane mode and keep it for ticket display and emergencies. It's not difficult if you've an ounce of discipline instead of twitbookgramming every spare time.

That is indeed a good way of saving the day. I listened to music for 40 minutes once on 1% battery on an iPhone 7 by using flight mode. The battery usage with the screen and all the radio stuff turned off is miniscule.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's not the case; the old P@H format is outdated technology which some train companies used as far back as 2008.

An actual e-ticket can be stored on multiple devices; you may choose to print it but you don't have to.

If someone only has one device and no access to a printer, I can see why they may be reluctant. But that's arguably something the rail industry could easily address by converting or replacing existing CCST TVMs at stations with machines that can print e-tickets.

If they printed it on a CC sized piece of card, it would just be a ticket.

snail

Established Member
I was on the last minute yesterday so bought an e-ticket Anytime Short Return from Avanti to get me to Manchester. They have the same email layout with PDFs as Virgin had. All good on the outward journey, scanned out at Oxford Rd no problem. But coming back I used Salford Central via Wigan Wallgate and the barcode wouldn't work either barriers ('Seek assistance') so I had to show the ticket to the barrier staff. The same ticket on paper gets through the barriers no problem.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I was on the last minute yesterday so bought an e-ticket Anytime Short Return from Avanti to get me to Manchester. They have the same email layout with PDFs as Virgin had. All good on the outward journey, scanned out at Oxford Rd no problem. But coming back I used Salford Central via Wigan Wallgate and the barcode wouldn't work either barriers ('Seek assistance') so I had to show the ticket to the barrier staff. The same ticket on paper gets through the barriers no problem.
Cubic gates currently have no concept of break of journey with barcoded tickets. S&B gates on the other hand don't have a problem at all.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't understand what you mean. All tickets are "just" tickets?
If it's got the barcode allowing it to be scanned and recorded and does not require activation, it's an e-ticket. That is the main key feature.
Herein lies some of the confusion. Some on here are assuming that the definition of e-ticket is something that can only exist in electronic form, and others are including the printed versions in the definition.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's down to poor encoding of the software at the gates and/or due to the correct keys not being loaded onto the software. Either way, it's likely a softwarerelated issue.

The opposite experience can be had at some stations, where paper tickets are problematic and e-tickets get you straight through!

talltim

Established Member
When my phone gets to 20% I’ve got about 5 mins left! In fact sometimes it shuts down at 40% if it’s cold. I do need a new phone...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Talk of phones and mobile devices is a bit of a red herring.

Almost all tickets for concerts and sporting events have tickets which contains a barcode. This is scanned on entry. This is an e-ticket. The barcode could also be shown on a phone, tablet etc. The main thing is that however you show the barcode it has to be capable of being scanned.

The same thing will happen with railway tickets. The ticket will effectively be a barcode.

Buy a ticket from a station and the ticket will be printed onto paper (probably bog roll but it might even by orange CCST at some places to kep traditionalists happy!)
Buy a ticket from a station ticket machine and it'll be printed onto paper (bog roll or maybe orange CCST). There might also be the option for it to be emailed to you.
Buy a ticket online and it'll be emailed to you and you could either show the barcode on a phone, print it at a station ticket machine or ask for it to be posted
Buy a ticket over the phone and it'll be emailed to you could either show the barcode on a phone, print it at a station ticket machine or ask for it to be posted

Whichever format the passenger chooses will displays the ticket details in readable form, along with seat reservations as per current practice.

The main issue that needs to be resolved is TfL for cross London journeys and travelcards.

There will be no requirement to own a smartphone to purchase or use a railway ticket.

I really don't get what the fuss is all about.....

jfollows

Established Member
I really don't get what the fuss is all about.....

I suspect you do, and I feel that astonishing incompetence in the implementation of new technology by the people who operate our railways is worth making a fuss about. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...g-contempt-for-fare-paying-passengers.185168/ was an example I demonstrated last year. Technology gets rolled out, then staff aren't given proper training in how it's to be used, ending up with threats of taking people to court which are not justified. That's more than annoying, it's appalling. I hope the example I raised becomes the exception rather than the rule. Until I feel it has done, I'll continue to use new technology such as e-tickets with caution, in spite of their clear merits.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree that the railway does not have a good track record of rolling out new things and there is an absolute need to make sure staff are correctly trained.

What is the issue with a CCST ticket containing a barcode that you scan rather than the magstripe being read?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I agree that the railway does not have a good track record of rolling out new things and there is an absolute need to make sure staff are correctly trained.

What is the issue with a CCST ticket containing a barcode that you scan rather than the magstripe being read?
I guess people would want to put it into the slot in the barrier instead of holding it against the reader. I don't think the same ticket could carry both a magstripe and a barcode, otherwise there is potential for a second person to travel using a copy of the barcode. So people would have to know that kind of ticket would have to use the barcode reader, which is probably easier if it's in a form (such as a bogroll) that physically won't fit in the slot.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I guess people would want to put it into the slot in the barrier instead of holding it against the reader. I don't think the same ticket could carry both a magstripe and a barcode, otherwise there is potential for a second person to travel using a copy of the barcode. So people would have to know that kind of ticket would have to use the barcode reader, which is probably easier if it's in a form (such as a bogroll) that physically won't fit in the slot.

Tickets in the future won't have a magstripe. The slots will get decommissioned at some point.

Passengers will soon learn what to do as they did when CCST tickets first came in.

jfollows

Established Member
For me, what's important is the information currently printed on the credit card sized ticket, especially information on validity of the ticket, which can be important when breaking a journey and continuing on a later day. It's not perfect, but in the absence of information we get railway staff claiming that e-tickets and m-tickets can't be used for break of journey, and of course the latter being invalidated by the "app" as well. But if there's a barcode as well as the printed words, instead of the magnetic stripe, it's not a problem. The relatively unpleasant "bog roll" tickets have this now, don't they, unpleasant because they're flimsy and don't fit as well into my wallet. I note that the barriers in many places, Manchester Piccadilly being the important one for me, now read these things easily enough.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I guess people would want to put it into the slot in the barrier instead of holding it against the reader.

There won't be a slot (there is a LOT of money to be saved by not having to maintain the equipment). Though if there still is at that point and they are the same size it'll just be spat back out anyway, just like a current CCST that hasn't been encoded properly.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For me, what's important is the information currently printed on the credit card sized ticket, especially information on validity of the ticket, which can be important when breaking a journey and continuing on a later day

That information would be retained.

t's not perfect, but in the absence of information we get railway staff claiming that e-tickets and m-tickets can't be used for break of journey, and of course the latter being invalidated by the "app" as well

A classic case of poor railway training. This isn't unique to e-tickets as there are some rogue staff out there who claim that magstripe tickets aren't valid when they are. We even have manual inspections of tickets (e.g. Euston) where staff claim valid tickets aren't valid. E-tickets won't solve these training issues but they won't make things worse.

But if there's a barcode as well as the printed words, instead of the magnetic stripe, it's not a problem.

Indeed. Anyone using the barcode on a bog roll ticket to get through a barrier is already using an e-ticket!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I note that the barriers in many places, Manchester Piccadilly being the important one for me, now read these things easily enough.

One thing I've found generally about barcodes is that they are read much more reliably, particularly off phones, by digital camera-based readers than laser-based readers, yet most ticket barriers are being fitted with the latter. I wonder why this is - cheaper maybe?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A classic case of poor railway training. This isn't unique to e-tickets as there are some rogue staff out there who claim that magstripe tickets aren't valid when they are. We even have manual inspections of tickets (e.g. Euston) where staff claim valid tickets aren't valid. E-tickets won't solve these training issues but they won't make things worse.

I suspect in the long term it will be possible to validate a ticket properly at any barrier electronically in real time (e.g. to generate permitted routes and check BoJ validity at stations where the barriers don't have any station facilities outside them). Once that's the case it'll just be down to "computer says no" with little discretion necessary.

That or we'll just move to all-reservations on IC and zonal tickets on regional, which would make that job way easier. (Further discussion for that should go in another thread if anyone does want to delve into it).

Kilopylae

Once that's the case it'll just be down to "computer says no" with little discretion necessary.
Given the long history of N.R.E. and the N.R.G. disagreeing with one another, and the unreliability of existing programmed barriers, I think it seems a little optimistic to suppose that these kinds of errors will be made less significant by trying to roll something like that out network-wide. A "computer says no" attitude with the limited digital systems already in place would be highly problematic, and as the use of digital systems expands, the frequency of such errors will only multiply.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There won't be a slot (there is a LOT of money to be saved by not having to maintain the equipment). Though if there still is at that point and they are the same size it'll just be spat back out anyway, just like a current CCST that hasn't been encoded properly.
Indeed so - but I'm concerned that if that happens a lot if will cause congestion at busy barriers. Perhaps we could do something like changing the orange to a different colour for the bar-coded tickets and provide some posters and graphics telling people to hold the blue (or whatever) tickets against the reader. Anyone remember the "yellow ticket" barriers on the Underground in the 70s?

One thing I've found generally about barcodes is that they are read much more reliably, particularly off phones, by digital camera-based readers than laser-based readers, yet most ticket barriers are being fitted with the latter. I wonder why this is - cheaper maybe?
I would have thought a laser would be incapable of reading a barcode on a screen, as this relies on the light being emitted by the device and the laser would do nothing at best and at worst would just bounce back and drown out the light coming from the screen itself. I think the laser devices must switch the laser off (perhaps for an imperceptibly short period) to read screen-based barcodes.

jfollows

Established Member
Indeed, I agree with you.
I was interested to note that last week I travelled on an e-ticket from Euston without it ever being checked by a human; not because I walked on to the platform when the inbound train was unloading (I might have done this on previous occasions, my experience being that if you look confident nobody questions you!) but because my train left from platform 3 and I used the barriers to validate the ticket. Interesting only because I don't know what rules the barriers are implementing - given that it was at a time (I was on the 15:40 departure on a Thursday) that's not allowed for travel for off-peak tickets with a 2C restriction, it was presumably something like "advance ticket scheduled to depart in the next 60 minutes". Whatever it was, I had no problem and have no complaints.

bakerstreet

There won't be a slot (there is a LOT of money to be saved by not having to maintain the equipment).

Oh good! In that case, it would be interesting to know by how much fares will reduce, or services will improve, as a result of this money saving. Otherwise I can’t help thinking any money saved is irrelevant to the average passenger who isn’t also a shareholder

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh good! In that case, it would be interesting to know by how much fares will reduce, or services will improve, as a result of this money saving. Otherwise I can’t help thinking any money saved is irrelevant to the average passenger who isn’t also a shareholder

Of course a reduction in costs will impact fares. It won't be visible in that sense, though, and the mind boggles as to why anyone thinks it will be. It'll be hidden, like perhaps a few more cheaper Advances released.

bakerstreet

Of course a reduction in costs will impact fares. It won't be visible in that sense, though, and the mind boggles as to why anyone thinks it will be. It'll be hidden, like perhaps a few more cheaper Advances released.

Given advance fares are yield management- and much of railway pricing is based on what’s the most we can charge - the mind boggles as to why anyone might think a reduction in cost would impact fares, not shareholders/govt coffers.
I hope that you are right

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given advance fares are yield management- and much of railway pricing is based on what’s the most we can charge - the mind boggles as to why anyone might think a reduction in cost would impact fares, not shareholders/govt coffers.
I hope that you are right

I'm even in favour, as a taxpayer, if it does impact "Government coffers". People think the Government is some sort of evil corporation, it's not, even if the present colour of politics may not be yours.

bakerstreet

I'm even in favour, as a taxpayer, if it does impact "Government coffers". People think the Government is some sort of evil corporation, it's not, even if the present colour of politics may not be yours.

Yes I don’t mind that either too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.