• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services to operate loco hauled trains between Skipton & Appleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
They seem to have turned the train. I saw it last week and the 37 was at the north end. Now it seems to be at the south end.
The 47 has yellow cab roofs.
Am I right and any idea why?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They seem to have turned the train. I saw it last week and the 37 was at the north end. Now it seems to be at the south end.
The 47 is in 1980s Scotrail livery (if it’s still 47712) which had yellow on the cab roofs.

Not really the 37 was at the North end a couple of weeks ago then it was replaced by the 47, then last week the South end 47 failed and was replaced by the 20 for a couple of days until the 37 tock over.

Ken H

On Moderation
Not really the 37 was at the North end a couple of weeks ago then it was replaced by the 47, then last week the South end 47 failed and was replaced by the 20 for a couple of days until the 37 tock over.
thanks. i only see the train as I wander round the country near home. I saw the train when i was between Little Stainforth and Smearset Scar yesterday.

SeanG

I will believe that when I see it

The CFPS has just announced that 40145 has been leased to LSL.

It will be on with 20107 on the last week by all accounts

40145 BREAKING NEWS !! 40145 BREAKING NEWS !!

Hi All,

The CFPS has reached agreement with Locomotive Services Ltd (LSL) at CREWE for 40145 to go on hire to the company for a 6 MONTH period….. STARTING TOMORROW TUESDAY 25/08.

40145 is scheduled to leave Bury around 11.00 hours.

It has a scheduled passing time of 12.28 through Manchester Victoria.

It then has an operating stop at Warrington Bank Quay between 13.04 and 13.16 hours and a passing time of 13.45 hours at Crewe Station.

As ever, these times may get amended, but that is our understanding at present.

xotGD

Established Member

No, not trying to attract Cranks. Definitely not!

We shall see I guess, clearly just because 40145 has gone on hire with LSL that doesn't make it a definite for the train, I don't see it being on with the 20 as they will need an ETH loco for the train, and I was under the impression that double heading was out as that is too long for the platform at Skipton.

What we've been told by the director is that whilst something may be being planned for the last week, the class 40(s) almost certainly won't be involved. You'd still need a 47 on for eth purposes plus I don't actually think it would fit between signals at Skipton as even with a pair of 47s, there's only a few feet gap at each end

sprinterguy

Established Member
What we've been told by the director is that whilst something may be being planned for the last week, the class 40(s) almost certainly won't be involved. You'd still need a 47 on for eth purposes plus I don't actually think it would fit between signals at Skipton as even with a pair of 47s, there's only a few feet gap at each end
Thanks for the information. I'll be interested to see what unfolds in the final week, as it's towards the end of that week that I'll be travelling. I only ever expected a pair of 47s when I booked the tickets before the service commenced, so anything other than that will be considered a bonus.

Adam0984

It would have to be either shunted each time from 2 to 3 or when it arrived it pulls beyond the south end signal with the shunting signal which then blocks platform 4 and quite possibly all arrivals from the south because your setting the route to beyond the northbound crossover into 1 and 2

It would have to be either shunted each time from 2 to 3 or when it arrived it pulls beyond the south end signal with the shunting signal which then blocks platform 4 and quite possibly all arrivals from the south because your setting the route to beyond the northbound crossover into 1 and 2
The first and last departure do arrive and depart platform 3 so would need some juggling about

Flying Claret

Does anyone have an idea what the loadings have been like? have they met expectations? Admittedly it is difficult to judge in the current climate but I'm guessing they will have had some sort of target in mind?

I wonder if the segment on BBC Breakfast made a difference?

skifans

Does anyone have an idea what the loadings have been like? have they met expectations? Admittedly it is difficult to judge in the current climate but I'm guessing they will have had some sort of target in mind?

I wonder if the segment on BBC Breakfast made a difference?
Recent tweets suggest they are doing well:

"... Last days beginning to fill up but availability this coming week. ..." - 30.8.20

"For the avoidance of doubt we still have availability on most trains on the final week but seats are limited so if you're thinking of travelling book soon to ensure you get the train of your choice." - 31.8.20

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I did the last return trip of the day yesterday and could count one way on two hands and the other on one. The weather, incidentally, was the best I've ever seen the S&C.

Despite the light loadings I was told by the staff that the trains have been deemed a success and loadings better than anticipated overall, even with the pandemic situation.

All in all, it was an excellent afternoon out and definitely recommended as a nice way of seeing the S&C.

Flying Claret

Despite the light loadings I was told by the staff that the trains have been deemed a success and loadings better than anticipated overall, even with the pandemic situation.
Thats probably the most important point at this stage. They will have had a plan based on numbers, whilst expecting to make a loss this summer.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The chief has booked us in this train on Saturday. Should be fun. Is it 2 x 47 doing the honours?

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes 47712 and 593 are on the set again this week.

43 302

Established Member
RCS have tweeted that a surprise locomotive will be replacing one of the class 47s next week due to a B exam.

Malcmal

RCS have tweeted that a surprise locomotive will be replacing one of the class 47s next week due to a B exam.

Would be cool if it was 40145. Especially as there is another current thread in Railway History & Nostalgia which mentions 40152 working a rake of mark 3's in 1983 across the S & C. Would be quite a nod to that working to see classmate plus mark 3's.

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
Would be cool if it was 40145. Especially as there is another current thread in Railway History & Nostalgia which mentions 40152 working a rake of mark 3's in 1983 across the S & C. Would be quite a nod to that working to see classmate plus mark 3's.
I would imagine it is. We shall see :D

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
40145 seems to be the popular rumour.

According to WNXX it will be 37 688 its replacing 47 593 so will presumably be on the south end.

Status
Not open for further replies.