Rail passengers to face airport-style security checks?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by SpacePhoenix, 26 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rules-following-foiled-French-gun-attack.html

The only UK trains that I can think of that it might apply to is Eurostar, could it mean that the Marseilles route would have to be axed? Apart from maybe HS2 when it opens in however many years time is there any route it could apply to?

In mainland Europe won't it fall foul of the Schengen agreement?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Tommy1581

Tommy1581 Member

Two words. Daily Mail.

4. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

Fingers crossed, but it will not happen. Question i have is whether that attacker in Arras had a valid trainticket. We are putting fear in the travellers and that is what terrorist want to do.

5. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

Nope, over news outlets are also covering the same story

6. Hadders

Hadders Fares Advisor

How's that going to work then? What's the definition of a commuter train

London-Milton Keynes with Virgin you need to be security screened
    London Milton Keynes with London Midland then no screening.

Can't honestly see it happening.

7. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Knee jerk reaction as always these days. So tiresome.

8. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Agreed

But at least it gives me a chance to laugh at the various comments on the Daily Fail website.

The UK won't be as bad as China where every subway station I visited you had to go via security check-points (metal detectors, bags via x-ray machines)

9. dk1

dk1 Established Member

:lol:

10. lincolnshire

lincolnshire Member

I think it Spain where they already scan passengers and X Ray luggage on long distance Inter City Trains, they have all the equipment at Malaga and Cadiz if I remember rightly.

11. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

And even if they do, the terrorists will just change their tactics and target commuter trains.

12. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

Won't "the terrorists" just target commuter trains instead then? Same net result in terms of casualties.

^ Beat me to it!

13. Darren R

Darren R Established Member

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought to myself "Daily Mail or Daily Express?"

I don't think there's any reason for us to get ourselves into a lather over this. It's not true. How do I know? It's in the "Daily Mail" and the opening sentence cites "new EU rules" as the reason for it happening. Of course it's made up! :lol:

(Famous last words! :lol:)

14. 3141

3141 Established Member

We already know from 7/7/05 that people who want to commit mass murder on trains can do it. We knew well before that (1980s) that mass murder in a city street or in a shopping centre is easy. The way things are in the world today we unfortunately have to accept the risk. The price of screening everyone everywhere is not practical.

15. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

...and it wouldn't make any difference anyway because the terrorists would then just blow up or gun down the queue for the screening points.

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Quite.

If it did happen (and SNCF have already rubbished it, and they are quite influential) I would probably give up rail travel and just drive everywhere. With planes, you can take pointy things etc on if you want, just check them in. With E* you can't, because there is no proper checked baggage service. One of the many reasons I prefer flying over E*.

I like rail, but not if I'd have to waste an hour queueing and have my privacy invaded each time I used it. I tolerate it for air because it's so much quicker than other modes and it's only once in a while.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2015
  17. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

Quite.

I note their assumption that all trains are either "high speed" or "commuter"!

18. Bletchleyite

They do, and as a result, where was the attack when it did take place? Oh, on a crowded commuter train where there were far more deaths than on a low-density compulsory reservation Ave.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I'm not surprised to see that coming from the EU, because most EU countries have a very highly segregated system of long-distance and local trains. The UK does not operate that model, as a result other than E* and the HS2 captive trains there's little that fits.

19. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

Actually I'd gamble the casualties would be heavier. Would the attacks on London in 2005 have been as effective in terms of casualties if they'd attacked a long distance GNER, VT and MML service rather than three tube trains?

Would the 2004 attack on the Madrid commuter network been as effective if it had targeted long distance RENFE services instead?

If anything commuter trains are more in need of protection than long distance services (Mumbai 2006 another set of attacks on commuter services) but I feel, as others have said, that this is a knee-jerk reaction to an attempted attack rather than a thought out move actively trying to improve security. A sop to the 'something must be done!' brigade.

20. Bletchleyite

By the way, here's a rather more balanced article on the same thing from the Beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34054460
    No, not even nearly. Long-distnace trains are long, thin and (generally) low density. Commuter trains are quite the opposite.

21. HarleyDavidson

HarleyDavidson Established Member

Can you imagine the chaos that would occur at Waterloo, with ~92m users at the last count if you wanted to security checks on all of them.

22. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I thought the suspect has said it wasn't terrorism - he was just starving and decided to use the guns and knives that he found to rob people to get money to buy food?

23. Bletchleyite

If you believe that... :)

24. ainsworth74

Quite.

An AK-47 seems something akin to overkill if your plan is to rob people of their money...

Plus an assault rifle seems a terrible choice of weapon for an enclosed space like a train unless your planning to spray bullets around the place. If you wish to maintain control something smaller like a pistol would seem a much better choice.

25. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Ah, but he just found it. Apparently. He should've tried the Shaggy defence "It wasn't me." :D

26. ainsworth74

You know it's the bane of my life. I'm minding my own business walking down the street and I just keep tripping over AK-47s! Really annoying :lol:;)

27. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

They did it at Nottingham station on and off about 10 years ago and they caught a few passengers with knives although at the time Nottingham did have a bad reputation for violent crime.

When I was in Shenzhen, China recently I was surprised as they scanned all bags before you were allowed into the "paid areas of the stations" (beyond the ticket barriers).

If I was manning these security gates though I would want an armed police officer on duty to oversea the scanning as I wouldn't want approach someone who is carrying a concealed weapon without it.

28. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

Yes I've seen that at Alicante also

29. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

It is claimed he was also viewing a jihadist video over the train wi-fi a few minutes before, which seems an odd choice of viewing for a robber.

Maybe we should ban wi-fi too [joke].
    Eurostar doesn't ban liquids and the pointy things restrictions are much less severe than on planes.

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/prohibited-items-and-alcohol

On the other hand, unlike any airline I have ever flown on, it is forbidden to bring a dishwasher on board...

The important distinction here is that it's relatively speaking very easy to bring down an aircraft with a small quantity of explosive or take over it with a fairly rudimentary weapon, either of which could result in the death of all on board and possibly also many on the ground. The effects of doing the same on a train would be far less - it's not pressurised, the structure is much stronger, and even a high speed derailment is usually survivable for most passengers with little risk to others. Thus the security precautions around aircraft are and should be more stringent than for any train.

30. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Transec (Transport Security) already have powers to do this, as part of the response to the 7/7 attacks.
    They have trialled equipment and processes at various stations (Euston was one I think).
    They said it would not be feasible to lock down all stations and all trains but it's there as a capability as and when deemed necessary.
    I've been on Renfe trains where they do this (because of the Madrid bombings) and it's a bit of a pain and takes time.
    Less intrusive than air travel though - no shoes or belts off for instance.
    It would stop the race down the ramp at Euston though. ;)

31. Darren R

Darren R Established Member

Every cloud...! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.