• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir_Clagalot

Had stones thrown at my train at Gainsbro, no damage, they bounced off the cantrail... Also had a small fire, and numerous signalling problems!

Established Member
Blimey. If we're counting train failures and being hit by missiles thrown from the lineside I could be here all night. :|

O L Leigh

I was thinking the same thing O L Leigh!
I was going to put 'How long have you Got?'

The only incident apart from any above, was when the train i was working collided with a car just outside West Ham station on the erstwhile North Woolwich section of the North London Line. It even made headline news in London and in the London press and was in the Railway Safety report for the year 2001.

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
was on a pendolino that hit something at oxenholme lake district the other week, 4th july, never found out what it was, maybe somebody on here knows, but it has left a nice gash down the side of the unit lol.

I've also had 2 derailments, albeit on a 7 1/4" train that I was driving! not my fault btw!

Spaceflower

Established Member
Aye, maybe...But wouldn't exposing the same fire to an excess amount of air at high speed and pressure blow out the flames? :)
If nothing else, it'd certainly be a fun thing to try just for the thrill of coasting down Beattock at => 250mph! ;)

Ah...Now I agree that can be a bit of a problem. I've never worked on railway traction motors before, but the first alternator that I had in my Volvo (Similar to a DC motor, but works t'other way around) siezed due to foreign object debris (FOJ) between the rotor and the stator.
I managed to fix it quickly though by simply taking a long and hefty wrench and using it to spin the rotor with enough force to crush the FOJ to dust! <D

Remind me never to let him near my car.

Tugzrule

was on a pendolino that hit something at oxenholme lake district the other week, 4th july, never found out what it was, maybe somebody on here knows, but it has left a nice gash down the side of the unit lol.
I think that was a container door that had been left open- hit a voyager too. Think it was a DRS curtainside but not sure. HTH

Tom B

Established Member
Had stones thrown at my train at Gainsbro, no damage, they bounced off the cantrail... Also had a small fire, and numerous signalling problems!

That is the locals way of saying "welcome" :lol:!

David

Established Member
Ever "delayed" a train by getting stuck in the toilets of the unit next to it? ;)

At least he didn't get carried away, unlike the Skipton based driver !

(he used the toilet on a train opposite, which them promptly departed with him on it.) :lol:

turbo mick

ive killed a horse,fox,pheasant,deer,dog,cat,pigeon,owl,bird of pray,not a human i hope just cant go round things when your driving just wait for the bang or duck

Established Member
The moral of this story: Always make sure that ye have thy carriage

THANK GOD! someone who calls it by its proper name! all these 13-15 year old kids are getting on my bloomin t**s calling it a "T" key when they know very well its a Carriage key grrrr! <( must we name everything by the way it looks?

Rityo im off to catch the Rectangle Unit to the "Pointing lady" country I hope i get a "L" chair to sit on :lol:

Death

Established Member
THANK GOD! someone who calls it by its proper name! all these 13-15 year old kids are getting on my bloomin t**s calling it a "T" key when they know very well its a Carriage key grrrr! <( must we name everything by the way it looks?
Many things can have many names, I simply try to use the most widely understood one where I know it. :)

The one exception is place names, where I prefer to refer to them in their local names/languages if possible, and this does cause confusion to some railway staff. If I asked ye for a ticket to "Caergybi" or "Canolig Caerdydd", would ye know where I wanted to travel to? <D
Answer (Highlight to view): Those are the proper Welsh names for Holyhead and Cardiff Central, respectively. :)

Rityo im off to catch the Rectangle Unit to the "Pointing lady" country I hope i get a "L" chair to sit on :lol:
Lucky ye...On a Friday in September, I'll be catching an electric "Small Pendulum" train to "Prod the fire on a river" for an event at "Vertical Erections in Alton". Given how busy "Untouched Lady" services get on a Friday, I'll be lucky if I can find a "Freight Rack" to drop my ass on! :?

O L Leigh

Established Member
This is a T-Key.

FetchImage.aspx

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always thought Carriage Keys were the ones that you could attach to your keyring, with just the square bit on. To me, T-Keys are the ones with the tapered square end, the round end and the square bit.

krus_aragon

Established Member
If I asked ye for a ticket to "Caergybi" or "Canolig Caerdydd", would ye know where I wanted to travel to?

"Caerdydd Canolog" would be more likely to get results: Welsh follows the Verb-Subject-Object structure, unlike English's Subject-Verb-Object.

I on the other hand, hardly ever ask for tickets by their Welsh placenames, despite being a Welsh speaker living in Wales (I do with a few fluent ticket hall staff I know). Most of my "ticket bashing" consists of looking up timetables and fares on places such as the NR website, which don't know the Welsh names. I'm particularly disapointed that ATW's trainline-based ticketing system doesn't understand either. Sadly most software isn't designed with bilingual operations in mind.

Death

Established Member
Prynhawn Da! <D
"Caerdydd Canolog" would be more likely to get results: Welsh follows the Verb-Subject-Object structure, unlike English's Subject-Verb-Object.
I must admit that I never did well in languages, and therefore - Although I know what nouns, verbs and adjectives are - I often fail to understand how each is supposed to interact with the other. When it comes to learning languages, I tend to arrange my sentances based on the "feel" of where words ought to go. :|

For example: If I'm buying a ticket from Hamburg to Berlin and speaking to the cashier in German...
  • The English "form" would suggest that "Ich möchte kauf eine karte nach Berlin, bitte" (I'd like to purchase a ticket to Berlin, please) would be correct.
  • However, a more correct form would be "Ich möchte eine karte nach Berlin kaufen, bitte" (I'd like a ticket to Berlin purchase, please)
As can be seen from the above, in German the verb is sent to the end of the statement as opposed to being placed in front of the object - Or at least I think that's the way it works. :)

Referring back to thy quote above:
That suggests to me - Assuming that I'm understanding it correctly - That although "Canolig Caerdydd" is the correct reference for the station (As observed from bilingual station signs), "Caerdydd Canolig" - Though categorically incorrect - Would be understood by a lot more people. Is that right? :)

I on the other hand, hardly ever ask for tickets by their Welsh placenames, despite being a Welsh speaker living in Wales...
I've responded to this in a new thread over in NR General discussion; Why don't TOCs use local languages as well as English? 8)

Bydd wych... <D
>> Death <<

Aussie_Rail

Hate to say it, but over here I've never heared of it referred to as a 'carriage' Key, everyone calls it a 'T' key. I carry one everywhere, not that I use to open anything, it just comes in handy as a nice hand held device when one gets into a sticky situation with some 'chav' person.

I think here its called a 'T' key because they are not exclusively used in the railways, they are also used in Fire Protection industries as well, so 'T' key is more suited.

But next time I ride on a train with a conductor I'll ask him what he calls it see what he says.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Prynhawn Da! <D I must admit that I never did well in languages, and therefore - Although I know what nouns, verbs and adjectives are - I often fail to understand how each is supposed to interact with the other. When it comes to learning languages, I tend to arrange my sentances based on the "feel" of where words ought to go. :|

I also put sentences together by ear most of the time, but I do have the advantage of being raised bilingually, and have acquired a fluent 'ear'. I have to look grammatical terms up if I'm going to talk about them.

Referring back to thy quote above:
That suggests to me - Assuming that I'm understanding it correctly - That although "Canolig Caerdydd" is the correct reference for the station (As observed from bilingual station signs), "Caerdydd Canolig" - Though categorically incorrect - Would be understood by a lot more people. Is that right? :)

I'm sorry, I've just realised that I've explained this exactly the wrong way, even though I discussed this with a friend a few weeks ago. The VSO/SVO order operates most of the time, but the problem here is that it doesn't do that. I was going on automatic, and not paying attention.

Ignore my previous post, and let me explain it this way (without grammatical terms). The "Central" or "Queen Street" of the Cardiff stations is an addendum: you're clarifying which station in Cardiff it is. It's sort of like writing an address on a parcel: You don't reverse the order in different languages. This also applies to other stations, such as in Glasgow, Birmingham, and London. (You got Llundain Euston right in another thread)

Cardiff Bay does get rearranged to Bae Caerdydd, because "Cardiff Bay" is a place in its own right, not just a clarification. The old name, Cardiff Bute Rd, would not be rearranged (Caerdydd Heol Bute).

As a side note, there's a minor difference between 'canolog' (central) and 'canolig' (medium size). You'd still have been understood, which is the aim of using a language in the first place. Keep at it: amdani! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.