• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RDG trial/Budget announcement: 26-30 Railcard from Spring 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCj34

I suspect it'll be much the same as the existing 16-25 Railcard, namely you'll be able to buy one up until the day before your 30th birthday (week before your 28th birthday if they do a three year version) and it'll be valid until two days before your 31st birthday.

I suspect it may be generic, given Green is traditionally the colour for the Disabled Persons Railcard.

Surely it is more likely you can buy a railcard until the day before you turn 31, or buy a three year one the day before you are 29, and thus be able to have one until the day before you turn 32?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I suspect it'll be much the same as the existing 16-25 Railcard, namely you'll be able to buy one up until the day before your 30th birthday (week before your 28th birthday if they do a three year version) and it'll be valid until two days before your 31st birthday.
They are not doing a 3-year version, and it's online purchase only so it might be necessary to be a bit clever with the timing for the last year option.

I suspect it may be generic, given Green is traditionally the colour for the Disabled Persons Railcard.
Rather generic as it is only going to be available as a digital railcard.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Surely it is more likely you can buy a railcard until the day before you turn 31, or buy a three year one the day before you are 29, and thus be able to have one until the day before you turn 32?

A 16-25 can be bought up to an including the day before one's 26th birthday.

So a "16-30" card by implication would be puchasable up to the day before one's 31st burthday.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most probably yes. But note a 3 year 16-25 can't be bought at 25-and-364-days - you can only get a maximum of 364 days of additional validity, not 2 years and 364 days.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This is what is on the RDG web site: https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/media-centre/press-releases/2017/469773493-2017-11-22.html
“It is also good news that the government has chosen to build on the forthcoming trial of the 26-30 Railcard by Greater Anglia on behalf of the wider industry. A key commitment in our long-term plan is to enable more people to travel by train and that is why we developed this proposal”.
I should think the DfT will be funding the trial, and probably indemnifying the TOCs for any losses for an initial period of the national scheme.

BigCj34

This phantom Greater Anglia trial that has supposedly taken place is very puzzling. MoneySavingExpert has written that the GA trial starts on 6 December.

jon0844

Veteran Member
This phantom Greater Anglia trial that has supposedly taken place is very puzzling. MoneySavingExpert has written that the GA trial starts on 6 December.

Can whoever has confirmed the trial was a great success also give me the Lotto numbers for next week?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Here is the staff brief covering the trial launching in the Anglia region.

Attachments

• Staff Brief - 26-30 Railcard Trial.pdf
    568.9 KB · Views: 114

CyrusWuff

Established Member

Sorry. Had a brainfart moment there. Long day at work! You are, of course, correct.

Be3G

Established Member
The story is now completely different compared to when I read it (and made my post) at 4.50am this morning.

I cannot see a quote from RDG in there (as of 3.36pm the story says "1 Hour ago") but it does contain the line "The national roll-out of the card comes after a successful test of the discounted card in East Anglia" which is broadly similar to one of the lines in the story I recall from this morning; the point remains that as far as I (and others) can see, no trial has commenced, and this morning's iteration of the story contained at least one more reference to this trial.

Yes it seems there's been a lot of confusion around the subject; at the time I posted previously there was an RDG quote on there saying something along the lines of ‘we're pleased the government is building on the trial of this railcard’ – the quote definitely didn't make it clear that the trial hadn't yet begun!

Anyway, for anyone reading this thread, the Independent has got a good summary of what has and hasn't happened regarding the railcard here.

Kite159

Veteran Member
That assumes that when launched nationally it will be a separate Railcard. I strongly suspect it won't, the 16-25 will just become a 16-30.

Depends if the T&C's will be the same

Which gathering from that attachment posted in post 190:
" The £12 minimum fare will NOT have a July and August easement" they will be slightly different

whhistle

On Moderation
Apart from stats, why they don't just make it a 16-30 railcard I don't know.

I would agree with you if your argument is simply that there should be a Railcard available to all.
Hmm.

Then what's the point in having one? If anyone can get a discount card, then you may as well just reduce the price of fares by a third. If not, those that use the railway only a few times a year (holidays?) will be disadvantaged as they're unlikely to use one.

I agree, there needs to be ONE railcard to rule them all, but I guess then it'd be complicated to merge the conditions of all the different railcards without affecting revenue.

Sort of reminds me of Alton Towers tickets...
Walk up price is hugely expensive, yet there's discounts available from nearly anywhere like they're going out of fashion. Some staff members even have spare vouchers to give out at the entrance! I'm not a fan of that model of pricing.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Apart from stats, why they don't just make it a 16-30 railcard I don't know.

Hmm.

Then what's the point in having one? If anyone can get a discount card, then you may as well just reduce the price of fares by a third. If not, those that use the railway only a few times a year (holidays?) will be disadvantaged as they're unlikely to use one.

Two reasons:

1, The railway receives revenue from the sale of the railcard itself - which it wouldn't get if you just dropped prices.

2, You get the psychological effect of people travelling more to recoup the sunk cost of the railcard.

You are correct that there are offers all over the place, but a lot of these are too gimmicky and short lived to encourage a shift in attitude towards rail travel.

jon0844

Veteran Member
£30 for a digital railcard is good money, and clearly not everyone will get one. Some won't know about it, some won't think they need it as they don't travel enough and so on.

pemma

Veteran Member
Good money for the industry.

If you just buy an off-peak return costing £5 every other weekend buying the rail card will save you money.

Question is perhaps does a holding a railcard make more people travel more often?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Nothing wrong with rewarding repeat customers by effectively offering them a discount on every subsequent purchase.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

The idea is that purchasers will travel more to get as much mileage as possible out of their purchase. It’s all about the psychology of recovering a sunk cost; a very old and successful way of marketing.

island

Veteran Member
The intent of using the five non-conventional month abbreviations was, I gather, to make it more difficult to forge tickets by changing a month to a different month, and/or to catch out people who are bad at forging tickets.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.