• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

alexf380

Established Member
I'd also be happy paying for a subscription, although if it were up to me I'd keep a portion of the website free to use. Maybe the "simple" mode and know your train drawings are free to everyone, but the "detailed" mode and rolling stock allocations are for subscribers. I'm just not too sure that the average rail passenger who only uses RTT at Euston after work to check their train on the way home would be so happy paying for the privilege.
Just an idea. Long story short, I'm happy to pay, not everyone else is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'd also be happy paying for a subscription, although if it were up to me I'd keep a portion of the website free to use. Maybe the "simple" mode and know your train drawings are free to everyone, but the "detailed" mode and rolling stock allocations are for subscribers. I'm just not too sure that the average rail passenger who only uses RTT at Euston after work to check their train on the way home would be so happy paying for the privilege.
Just an idea. Long story short, I'm happy to pay, not everyone else is.
Or pay to avoid the ads?

JN114

Established Member
I think the other piece we have to weigh up is; I’m not sure those posting here that they’d pay an annualised subscription are really RTT’s target or largest audience…

If it hadn’t been for posts here, I can’t say I would have actually noticed the changes to advertising.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I would be interested in a paid subscription but the problem is how do you differentiate between users like me who uses the site once or twice a day and those who are probably using it continuously while train spotting or looking out for unusual movements.

Tim_UK

I’d happily pay a monthly donation. (£2 a month on gocardless or something) I wouldn’t want any features. I’m not even sure I’m that fussed for add free.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It’s a fantastic site and I do use it a fair bit but it’s not something I would pay for.

I'm in the same boat. I don't use it all the time, but I do use it a fair amount over the course of an average month. The ads I don't generally notice though, save for when they load slowly and the content of my screen moves to accommodate them. That's hardly a major thing though, and if ads keep RTT going then I really don't mind whatsoever.

I would be most disappointed if it ever closed down, there is no question of it. The allocations thing is incredibly handy, I've based a small number of trips off the TfW allocation data in recent weeks. However, if Tom decides that he's had enough and closes it down in favour of prioritising his life goals, then I would strongly support that. There are, after all, more important things to do than trains!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would be most disappointed if it ever closed down, there is no question of it.

Myself too. I bet, however, station staff at stations with "scrums", particularly Euston, do wish it would go away as it undermines their poor method of operation :D

(To be fair, it was still quite easy to work out platforms at Euston before it existed using the arrivals displays)

It's not just useful for that, though, it's good for getting an overview of a train service in the manner of a paper timetable.

if Tom decides that he's had enough and closes it down in favour of prioritising his life goals, then I would strongly support that. There are, after all, more important things to do than trains!

I'd hope he'd consider selling it rather than closing it if that happened.

alxndr

Established Member
I find it most useful for the locations shown that aren't stations. I use it quite often to spot the quiet periods where I'm most likely to be in luck asking for a line blockage, or can note when it's really busy and there's not much point bothering the signaller for the next half hour. Obviously still not used as an actual substitute for line blockages etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Myself too. I bet, however, station staff at stations with "scrums", particularly Euston, do wish it would go away as it undermines their poor method of operation :D

(To be fair, it was still quite easy to work out platforms at Euston before it existed using the arrivals displays)

It's not just useful for that, though, it's good for getting an overview of a train service in the manner of a paper timetable.

I'd hope he'd consider selling it rather than closing it if that happened.

Oh my yes, I can imagine it is handy at Euston. I never use it there anyway to be honest, but then a lot of the time I don't get there until boarding has commenced anyway. Or if I do, it's beginning by the time I've grabbed my hot beverage or whatever. When things go back to 4 car trains, I'll definitely be donning the war paint! :lol:

I've not really used RTT in the same form as a paper timetable, it's just not quite the same but it could be handy to be fair.

I would imagine if Tom did sell RTT on as a going concern, it wouldn't take long to find a buyer but I dread to think how non-user-friendly it would become!

xotGD

Established Member
I use RTT as a timetable. If I'm out for the day I plan all of my moves using RTT - and often end up with multiple tabs open, one for each service I'm due to travel on.

Also great for checking first thing in the morning to see if the Aire Valley is up the spout and I might need to head out for an earlier train to get to Leeds in time for a connection.

And as for knowing when freights are coming, so that you can be in position with the camera at just the right moment - what a luxury!

All in all, an excellent tool for both normals and cranks.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
To me, the USP is Know Your Train. I’ve relied on it so much more since allocations became public for the first time on there, and I’m so happy that they are on there. I don’t know how I’d find all of my ScotRail winners without it! Just need Greater Anglia to help me with the 720s now ;)

APT618S

I use RTT as a timetable. If I'm out for the day I plan all of my moves using RTT - and often end up with multiple tabs open, one for each service I'm due to travel on.
Same here. Use RTT as a timetable and getting the train headcode, and then use Traksy to get the live picture of where the trains are and for platforming, seeing what is going on when delays occur etc...

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Realtimetrains is now showing GWR allocations

ExRes

Established Member
Annoying to say the least, I'm finding it takes about three times longer to get to any info as well, as things stand Rail Record is giving a far superior service

I'm happy to say that the speed on RTT is back to what it's always been, was the slowness down to my internet supplier perhaps? the advert is still there of course but is quickly removed and while they get my back up on all sites Tom certainly can't be expected to be philanthropist of the year

noddy1878

Established Member
I echo what some have said on here. I think RTT is fantastic and the ads don’t bother me in the slightest. I haven’t noticed anything different in my experience since the changes.

I use it to plan my (currently rare days out).

Noticed that GWR allocations had been added when updating rail miles for a trip to Newton Abott. Big thumbs up from me as they’re my local TOC.

Keep up the good work Tom!

geoffk

Established Member
I've just noticed. Seems to have started today (12th). Will be useful when monitoring the stock allocation for the local user group. I use RTT when out with the camera for freights, also for planning day out with tight connections, sometimes even managing a negative connection!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I found out about this at break this morning, very useful knowledge! Saved me the effort of speculative visits to the station to try my luck on required IETs! Suddenly finding my last 3 387/1s with GWR is going to be far easier!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I've found it incredibly useful for tight connections at Birmingham New Street, especially.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Seems to be a bit buggy though still, less than 50% of allocations showing at the moment.
I've not noticed? I've seen pretty much all of them and I've looked at several principle GWR stations such as Swindon, Reading, Paddington and Temple Meads.

bramling

Veteran Member

A question, apologies if this has been answered before, where RTT shows something like a 150, does it show the unit oriented as it actually is when working the service? Or, to put it another way, if RTTT shows car 1 has having the toilet, is this actually the way round the unit will be when it turns up?

Established Member
A question, apologies if this has been answered before, where RTT shows something like a 150, does it show the unit oriented as it actually is when working the service? Or, to put it another way, if RTTT shows car 1 has having the toilet, is this actually the way round the unit will be when it turns up?
Not 100% sure but looking at two 150 pairings from Paignton (0950 & 1024 services) one showed the toilet in coach 1 and 4 and the other had it in coach 2 and 4 according to the images so it may pick up the unit orientation.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, trains are shown directionally (the leftmost carriage being the front one). Obviously there will occasionally be data issues which render this inaccurate.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I expect it depends on whether there is a reversal en route. The system has no way of knowing whether you are interested in formation before or after the reversal.
RTT's system handles reversals just fine - it shows the formation before and after each reversal. Similarly with services which attach and detach coaches en-route.

Though, again, if something unexpected happens (e.g. last minute substitution) then it won't necessarily be correct.