• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent DRS new loco tender result for new Class 93 locos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Suraggu

I wonder what class/TOPS number this new locomotive will get if it isn't a stage 3b 68?
Nothing stopping having a Class 68/X, with as long as Rolling Stock Libary numbers have not already been taken.

Look at the Class 66/9 for instance, modified engine, cooling and exhaust system etc yet still a 66.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i am sure DRS will release details once they are ready. I am fairly sure they need to deal with their internal assessment and governance before telling the train buff world! it is always possible they may not proceed with the acquisition.

The table a few posts above suggests an RA of 7 where RA5 or RA6 would have been ideal for this locomotive and methinks it will be a bit on the lardy side for a B0-Bo with extra equipment, therefore although based on the 68/88 platform, will it be a Co-Co wheelset?

I can't imagine that it would be a Co-Co design seeing as they said that it will be based on the 68/88 design. Although i do see your point about it being heavy.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The mock-up drawing is definitely a Bo-Bo and it's supposed to be basically an 88 but with more grunt ;)

pic1-93001-rog_w268.png

Spartacus

Established Member
Assuming that they're sticking with CAT engines, I'm guessing it'll be fitted with a C32, vice a C27 fitted in the 88, which is barely any heavier at all (according to wikipedia at any rate 71kg/11st 2.5lb/about one driver ;) I think the wiki entry of the C32 may be a bit low, but not an enormous amount). The C32 does already have rail applications. Yeah, it'll need a bigger cooler group and have batteries, compared to the 88, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to make savings elsewhere to compensate to a degree. I guess we'll wait and see!

Last edited:

Gizzy

I went to a talk at the Cambridge University Railway Club earlier this week.

The speaker was Karl Watts, the CEO of Rail Operations Group.

One of the items he spoke about was the Class 93 loco. It is basically the same body as the 68/88 class, with 25KV and a diesel engine which is boosted by a battery pack when starting off.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/n...s-fuels-its-ambitions-with-tri-mode-class-93s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_93_(Stadler)

They are hopeful that these could be used on the new TPE trains, as 75% of the route is wired. They would also be suitable for freight use. Although only 10 are on order at the moment, they expect that there will be more made for the UK....

USRailFan

Wouldn't this be an obvious choice for Freightliner as a Class 86 replacement? Or is it still assumed that they'll "gobble up" the soon to be surplus Class 90s?

mullac30

They are hopeful that these could be used on the new TPE trains, as 75% of the route is wired. They would also be suitable for freight use. Although only 10 are on order at the moment, they expect that there will be more made for the UK....

If they are looking at adding the Class 93 to Mark 5s, they may as well rename the sets Intercity 250!

USRailFan

The 86s don't get newer by the year... Sooner or later they'll have to replace them somehow... Of course they might just end up running everything with diesels, but I dunno how well that would go down in todays climate-conscious society...

I wonder if these Class 93's would be good for the GWR Night Slepper? They could be on diesel from Penance until it got onto OHLE sections where it would then switch over. Its a great idea unless they're not compatible with the coaches, then its not such as great idea.

Spartacus

Established Member
I wonder if these Class 93's would be good for the GWR Night Slepper? They could be on diesel from Penance until it got onto OHLE sections where it would then switch over. Its a great idea unless they're not compatible with the coaches, then its not such as great idea.

I don't suppose there'll be preventing them from being made compatible, especially at this early stage. It does sound like something they'd be well suited to although they'd be down on power compared to a 57/6, which could potentially prove problematic even with the booster.

I don't suppose there'll be preventing them from being made compatible, especially at this early stage. It does sound like something they'd be well suited to although they'd be down on power compared to a 57/6, which could potentially prove problematic even with the booster.

What is the hp of the diesel engine alone and what boost can the battery add? The engine can't be much more powerful than an 88 can it?

Spartacus

Established Member
What is the hp of the diesel engine alone and what boost can the battery add? The engine can't be much more powerful than an 88 can it?

As they’re not built yet that’s a question only the designers can answer, but there’s been speculation it’ll be around the 1200hp mark, although if they use the C32 engine as has been speculated that can produce up to 1800hp, though loco engines are rarely as powerful as they could be rated for reasons of economy and reliability.

GrimShady

Established Member
There's an article on the Railway Gazette regarding new Stadler Co-Co EuroDual locos.

Status
Not open for further replies.