• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redspottedhanky -Problems collecting multiple journey tickets from machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilo42

Hi

Yesterday I booked 4 separate journeys and paid for them in one transaction on RSH. I received one confirmation email containing 1 confirmation number. Today when I put the card in the machine and entered the confirmation number only the ticket (and seat reservation) for 1 journey was printed off. I tried putting the card back in and re-entering the confirmation number but no further tickets were printed off.

Can anybody offer any advise on how I can resolve this situation

Thanks Kevin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Where did you collect your ticket from?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I had the same problem recently at one of those new collection-only ToDler machines. (Not the same as those at Selhurst I am aware.) The solution was to use an S&B machine, which is widely used by SouthEastern and South West Trains (see attachment). The remaining tickets promptly printed when the code was input at one of those machines.

cd_waterloo220209f.jpg

2008101_91640.jpg

Is it convenient for you to use a machine operated by either SouthEastern or South West Trains?

kilo42

Not that convenient but not impossible either. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the advice

Kevin

OwlMan

Established Member
Hi

Yesterday I booked 4 separate journeys and paid for them in one transaction on RSH. I received one confirmation email containing 1 confirmation number. Today when I put the card in the machine and entered the confirmation number only the ticket (and seat reservation) for 1 journey was printed off. I tried putting the card back in and re-entering the confirmation number but no further tickets were printed off.

Can anybody offer any advise on how I can resolve this situation

Thanks Kevin

Contact Red Spotted Hanky and tell them what happened.

Peter

If possible (depends on individual TOC policy, procedures and technology), you could visit your local staffed ticket office who should be able to issue the tickets fully.

BEF7439

I had exactly the same problem at Nottingham station. The ticket office were unable to do anything, and just told me to contact RSH (and strongly advised against using them in the future). RSH were able to give me another reference number so I could pick up the remaining tickets.

Even though the situation was resolved, I was pretty annoyed this happened in the first place as had I been collecting tickets for travel that day I would have had to buy a new ticket.

radamfi

Established Member
This sounds quite serious. Is this issue unique to RSH or does it affect other WEBTIS sites?

northernman

Verified Rep - Northern
Hello, this is a problem that has only recently come to light, and the TOC's and Rail Settlement Plan are currently working on the issue. As far as I know it affects bookings made from the Avantix Webtis which is RSH and also East Coasts website and affects multiple tickets under one booking, as far as I am aware the TVm you use is irrelevant. I will update the forum when a resolution is found which hopefully will be soon!

radamfi

Established Member
Does that mean it is recommended to make two separate bookings for an Advance in each direction?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hello, this is a problem that has only recently come to light, and the TOC's and Rail Settlement Plan are currently working on the issue. As far as I know it affects bookings made from the Avantix Webtis which is RSH and also East Coasts website and affects multiple tickets under one booking, as far as I am aware the TVm you use is irrelevant. I will update the forum when a resolution is found which hopefully will be soon!

Hi,
Can you source the information you have provided us please?

Cheers,

TP

causton

Established Member
Does that mean it is recommended to make two separate bookings for an Advance in each direction?

No, that comes under one 'journey'. For example if I booked a return from London to York, then clicked 'save for later' and booked a return from York to Manchester, then added the saved one to the current transaction that would be two :)

However, I believe PlusBus is issued as a seperate journey...!

bnm

Established Member
I had exactly the same problem at Nottingham station. The ticket office were unable to do anything, and just told me to contact RSH (and strongly advised against using them in the future).

Is it really the job of ticket office staff to tell passengers who they should or shouldn't use to purchase their tickets?

Searle

Established Member
This sounds quite serious. Is this issue unique to RSH or does it affect other WEBTIS sites?

I recently booked 5 journeys on the East Coast website and paid for them all in one sitting, and I collected them all together with one code, and it worked absolutely perfectly. Picked them up on the First Capital Connect TVM's

BEF7439

Did they give any particular reason?

She just said she'd 'had nothing but problems with RSH'. I have no idea what sort of problems she meant by this, but since she recommended using the trainline instead I'm not going to take her words too seriously.

embers25

Established Member
She just said she'd 'had nothing but problems with RSH'. I have no idea what sort of problems she meant by this, but since she recommended using the trainline instead I'm not going to take her words too seriously.

You'd think Nottingham should be recommending using EMT's website if any!!! Also your card can pull up bookings on screen in the booking office as when I had machine problems Dorchester South ticket office helped me...but equally other ticket offices have refused so it depends on who is working.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Not all ticket offices are linked to the database. For example, ticket offices run by Northern.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I was surprised to hear an on-board announcement about this problem before departing from Kings Cross on East Coast last night.

Passengers were being advised to check that they held valid tickets for that service (as is usual in such announcements) and then: "if you collected your tickets from the machines at Kings Cross, do make sure that you have all the vouchers printed, the number of vouchers will be shown on the collection receipt. If any are missing please return to the ticket office for assistance. If you do not have a valid ticket for this service or do not have all the vouchers you will be required to buy a new ticket " . . . . . etc.

This announcement was clearly putting the onus onto the passenger to have all the correct vouchers, even without giving such a passenger the time to reach the Ticket Office and then return to the train with any additional vouchers in time for departure. It also appeared to me as a clear acknowledgement that there is a problem.

The announcment was made on-board twice before departing Kings Cross.

There had been no such announcements on the concourse (when there might have been an opportunity for a passenger to visit the Ticket Office and have the error corrected).

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
" ... the number of vouchers will be shown on the collection receipt ... "
This phrase is particularly misleading. The train companies do not use a consistent method of counting the number of vouchers.

When I collect tickets from a machine at Leeds station, I have a choice of East Coast's machines or those provided by Northern. East Coast include the Collection Receipt in its count of vouchers. With Northern, the Collection Receipt is excluded from the count.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
This phrase is particularly misleading. . .
I agree, both for the reasons you state, and also that the wording on these Collection Receipts does not explain whether it itself is included in the count or not.

However, the on-board announcent I heard was specifically referring to tickets that had been collected from the machines at Kings Cross (thereby perhaps giving the false impression that if they had been collected elsewhere then there would be no need for concern).

- - - - UPDATE - - - - -

I now understand that this failure to consistently print all vouchers from a TVM is a know error with the WebTIS software maintained by our old friends who enjoy regular discussion in Private Eye and elsewhere: the French software giant ATOS s.a. They have been aware of the error for a few weeks now.

It is infuriating that once again, ATOS' errors are re-described as the passenger's responsibilty to identify and to correct. Some global corporate firms just cant' admit to ever making a mistake, can they?

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the additional information DaveNewcastle.

I believe I have encountered a similar situation this week. It would appear that even if all the vouchers fail to print, the booking is changed to 'Ticketed' on the TOD system - meaning that the coupons cannot be issued from the ticket office. In this case the onus is placed on the customer to then contact the retailer in an attempt to rectify the error.

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
I have had this problem before, after printing 1 ticket out of 2, the machine advised me to visit the booking office to collect the rest. Upon explaining what the machine said at the window the collection ID was entered into the computer and the remaining tickets printed.

Have had this issue with both the RSH and Southern website.

Thanks for the additional information DaveNewcastle.

I believe I have encountered a similar situation this week. It would appear that even if all the vouchers fail to print, the booking is changed to 'Ticketed' on the TOD system - meaning that the coupons cannot be issued from the ticket office. In this case the onus is placed on the customer to then contact the retailer in an attempt to rectify the error.

As far as I am aware the TOD system will only mark the tickets printed as 'Ticketed', once parts have been marked as this, the machine will not issue the rest of the tickets, so you must go to the ticket office. However it is worth noting that once part of the reference has been issued at a station, the other part of it must be issued there as well. If you try elsewhere then the tickets will not issue and you will need to contact the people who you purchased them from to 'release them' so they can be collected elsewhere or you will need to visit one of there stations. Had this issue with some Southern tickets, Half were printed at the machine at Plymouth, then I tried to collect the rest of my tickets at Paddington however they could not be issued, so I had to go to Victoria.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Anyone know if this is sorted? I have a multi-journey booking on EC that I want to pick up, but I'd rather not if there's going to be a load of palaver.

alastair

Anyone know if this is sorted? I have a multi-journey booking on EC that I want to pick up, but I'd rather not if there's going to be a load of palaver.

If this is of any help,I recently booked a journey from Guildford to Waterloo(Merseyside)part using my Tesco points on RSH. I stated that I would pick up the tickets from Guildford. Despite this I was able to pick up the tickets without any problem from the TVM at Haslemere (its closer to my home).

So based on my experience, I would not worry.

island

Veteran Member
I appreciate the post, but that's not quite what I was looking for. That facility has been available for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.