• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revised NRCoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
A new NRCoC applies from 05 October 2011.

Anyone know what the other differences are?

1) Day now finishes at 0429, not 0230.
2) The journey must finish ENTIRELY at 0429, no travel (even on same train) after.
3) Anytime Single now has 2 days validity
4) Condition 11 amended to show the above

Also

5) Routeings now say "VIA LONDON" instead of just "LONDON". (or VIA READING or NOT VIA READING etc etc)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do you have a link?

0429 ties in with TfL's day so makes sense in the context of the South East, particularly out boundary travelcards.

First class

Established Member
Unfortunately the new version won't be available to download until October 05.

Some rail staff should have access.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Presumably then tickets bought before that day must still be governed by the rules as they were available at time of purchase.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
This should be good news for people travelling on the overnight Transpennine Services, as an off-peak ticket from the previous day will be valid for longer into the night and avoid the need to buy an anytime for the current day.

tony_mac

Established Member
I wonder if this means that off-peak tickets will no longer be valid on the sleepers, as they start before midnight but continue after 0430.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I expect for SVS and the outward portion of SVR they will still be valid until 12pm the next day, since that is in the individual ticket conditions and wasn't in the NRCoC anyway. What I think it will affect will be CDS/CDR and the return portion of SVR on the day following the last day of validity.

CDS/CDR fares wouldn't normally be available for sleeper-length journeys I suppose. The one negative consequence would seem to be that you couldn't use the return portion of a SVR on it's last day of validity on a sleeper any more, as the journey must stop at 0429 instead of 1200 as before. Shouldn't affect too many people hopefully.

tony_mac

Established Member
No, that shouldn't affect too many people - I think it does just put it in line with TfL as they didn't accept rail tickets after the last day of validity anyway.

mikeg

Established Member
All in all, not as bad as it could be. In fact the anytime single rule is to be welcomed, as is the extension to 0429.
I did get a bit worried when I saw this thread, as I read in the previous issue of RAIL magazine that they were planning of doing something to stop split tickets.

All Line Rover

Established Member
It's a pity that compensation policies haven't been updated. :( They really are archaic compared to Delay Repay.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . .
. . . .
Is anyone here aware of any other changes?
And is anyone aware that these changes have been presented to the Secretary of State for a proscribed period of time as proposals awaiting a response from Government? (Or has the NRCoC somehow dropped below the threshold for a requirement for devolved legislation to be subject to Ministerial intervention?).
. . . . I read in the previous issue of RAIL magazine that they were planning of doing something to stop split tickets.
Really? I'd be very interested to learn how any journey permitted by two valid, consecutive and adjacent tickets could be challenged. Can anyone elaborate?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... as I read in the previous issue of RAIL magazine that they were planning of doing something to stop split tickets.

That was in the Wolmar article yes?

In a different section of the same issue Barrry Doe explained why it couldn't happen...

dvboy

Established Member
I didn't know what the "end of the day" time was until now. In Brighton on the Sunday morning of Pride weekend, they were accepting outward tickets for that morning's first train of the day (approx 4am) and day returns from the previous day.

mikeg

Established Member
Yes, it was in Wolmar, towards the right of the second page if I remember correctly. I know split ticketing also isn't challenged on other forms of transport. A friend often uses it on National Express coaches.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
All in all, not as bad as it could be. In fact the anytime single rule is to be welcomed, as is the extension to 0429.
I did get a bit worried when I saw this thread, as I read in the previous issue of RAIL magazine that they were planning of doing something to stop split tickets.

I can see them doing something to stop the concession afforded passengers with a combination of season and point-to-point tickets on non-stop trains due to ORCATS distributions. I cannot see how splitting with two adjacent tickets on a stopping train at the changeover point can be barred and enforced. I will just jump off the train and on again.

Yes, it was in Wolmar, towards the right of the second page if I remember correctly. I know split ticketing also isn't challenged on other forms of transport. A friend often uses it on National Express coaches.

It is quite common to see such practice where a funfare ticket is combined with a standard ticket for a through journey.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
A new NRCoC applies from 05 October 2011.

1) Day now finishes at 0429, not 0230.
2) The journey must finish ENTIRELY at 0429, no travel (even on same train) after.
3) Anytime Single now has 2 days validity
4) Condition 11 amended to show the above

Also

5) Routeings now say "VIA LONDON" instead of just "LONDON". (or VIA READING or NOT VIA READING etc etc)

Are you sure this is the NRCoC? Where have you heard/read this?

Ticket validities and routeings are not shown (specifically) in the NRCoC and, as far as I can see, there is no mention in it currently of when the day finishes. Condition 11 does mention travelling after the validity of the ticket, but I honestly can't see them changing that too much.

I would expect ticket changes to occur at a fares revision (January) but it wouldn't be the first time it changed mid-NFM.

There is no mention (that I have seen) yet in the FRPP and no internal memo sent in regard of the changes you say they are making (which you might expect with only three weeks to go).

EDIT: It also strikes me that 5th October is an odd day to change the NRCoC as it is a Wednesday, you'd expect a change to occur on a Sunday or Monday.

The FRPP is due for an update on Monday, I'll check it again then.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
That was in the Wolmar article yes?

In a different section of the same issue Barrry Doe explained why it couldn't happen...

For some journeys you can't actually buy a through ticket from your origin station to your intended destination station so you have to either split tickets or travel short.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why? It's reducing the validity of an anytime single from three days to two.

Anytime Single tickets are currently valid only on the date shown on the ticket....unless I'm insane?

Also the NRCoC update will happen as already intimated on this thread.....

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why? It's reducing the validity of an anytime single from three days to two.

You're thinking of the outward portion of an Anytime Return - an Anytime Single is only valid for one day. :)

island

Veteran Member
Anytime Single tickets are currently valid only on the date shown on the ticket....unless I'm insane?

You're thinking of the outward portion of an Anytime Return - an Anytime Single is only valid for one day. :)

No, an anytime day single (SDS) is only valid for one day. I'm almost certain an anytime single (SOS) is valid for three, and the outbound portion of an anytime return (SOR) is valid for five.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, an anytime day single (SDS) is only valid for one day. I'm almost certain an anytime single (SOS) is valid for three, and the outbound portion of an anytime return (SOR) is valid for five.

The NR website disagrees with you - mind you, it's been known to be wrong before so I'm not taking this as 100% reliable!

When can I use an Anytime ticket?
Anytime Single and Anytime Day (Single and Return) tickets must be used on the date shown on your ticket. For Anytime Return tickets, the outward journey must be made within 5 days, and including, of the date shown on your ticket and return journeys must be made within one calendar month.

island

Veteran Member
The NR website disagrees with you - mind you, it's been known to be wrong before so I'm not taking this as 100% reliable!

I know; I checked it before posting. I was basing my post on a shaky memory of an SOS ticket I have somewhere in my collection. I'm away for the weekend but I'll see if I can dig it out later on.

First class

Established Member
An anytime single is only valid for 1 day at present.

An anytime return outward portion is valid for 5 days, 30 days for the return part.

Status
Not open for further replies.