• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RIP Inspector Blakey

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33914037

BBC said:
Actor Stephen Lewis, best known for his role as officious inspector "Blakey" in the 1970s ITV sitcom On the Buses, has died aged 88, his family has announced.

Lewis also played "Smiler" in the BBC's Last of the Summer Wine.

Born in east London in 1926, he got his start at the Theatre Royal Stratford East under Joan Littlewood.

According to his family, the actor died "quite peacefully" in a nursing home in Wanstead, east London, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

In his role as Inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake, Lewis constantly clashed, and was usually outwitted by, Reg Varney's wily bus driver Stan Butler.

One of his catchphrases was "I'll get you for this, Butler" - one he was happy to repeat, according to the manager of the nursing home where he lived out his final years.

I suppose he will be making one last journey on the no. 11 to the Cemetery Gates, with just a one way ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Thats the third legend gone within a couple of weeks, such a shame. Alot of people forget he was also a writer.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One of the best actors in my opinion.

RIP

DaveHarries

Established Member
Great shame to loose him. I was a fan of "On The Buses" and was also a fan of "Last Of The Summer Wine" which I used to watch every week without fail as much as possible.

He was, of course, also in "Oh Doctor Beeching" which I also liked watching. Anyone with a knowledge of railway signalling would understand if I ended this post by saying: 7-5-5. *

Dave

* For anyone unfamiliar with such things: where a railway line has mechanically-operated signalboxes next door to each other if a signalman closes the box for the last time, either until the following day or for good, the sign-off code given to the neighboring boxes on the bells used to communicate with them would be 7-5-5 where a - indicates a short pause.

Last edited:

Established Member
Very sad news indeed. A fantastic actor who will be truly missed

RIP

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think he'd been well for a while. Sad news that he has passed on, but he has left a legacy of laughter. He was a much better actor than many people realised as well.

duncanp

Established Member
I live in Walthamstow, and am currently having to take a replacement bus service from Seven Sisters whilst work is carried out on the Victoria Line.

We could do with Inspector Blakey at the bus stop in Seven Sisters helping to keep the buses moving by shouting "....get that bus out!!!..."

crispy1978

RIP - was very saddened to hear this yesterday.

Love On The Buses, and Last of The Summer Wine.

An absolute sitcom legend.

My parting comment? Gotta be the infamous "I 'Ate You Butler!"

GatwickDepress

Established Member
An excellent actor who came into his own on those kind of sitcom. The way he acted in Oh, Doctor Beeching! when Vera flirted with the eternally miserable signalman Harry was fantastic.

KendalKing

Established Member
Could do with an Inspector Blakey on local Stagecoach route, as on Wednesday the 15.40 departed at 15.33 (7-mins early) then yesterday the 15.40 departed at 16.11 (31-mins late).

crispy1978

To join Stan, Jack and Arthur - only one left now, to the best of my knowledge. is Olive. A fine series, not only for those of us with an interest in the bus world, but definitely of its time.

Yeah Olive (Anna Karen) is the only main character still alive. She's been in and out of Eastenders as Sal Martin. She is 78.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
RIP Blakey.

On The Buses was as authentic as any kitchen sink drama of the time, but perhaps overlooked as being a mere TV comedy.

crispy1978

Having done the LoTSW tour earlier this year, there's a lot of characters who are sadly no longer with us from there too.

The regeneration of the cast meant it kept getting refreshed and so younger characters (Bill Owen's son for example) were introduced. Peter Sallis would be, I imagine the oldest character still alive - and the only one to appear in every episode.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Sad news indeed, but a good age.

I watch many of the older comedies and other shows, such as Sweeney, Minder, Professionals, Heartbeat etc from the late 1960s, 1970s & 1980s which are always being shown on the diggi channels ITV 3 & ITV4, Drama, Yesterday, Dave.

I think these are much better than much of what is being produced now. Came across another one recently with Dame Thora Hird and Christopher Beeny based in late 1920's rural Yorkshire.

Where was on the Buses TV & Film shows filmed, was it in North London?

IanD

Established Member
RPI Blakey.

Came across another one recently with Dame Thora Hird and Christopher Beeny based in late 1920's rural Yorkshire.

Appropriately for this thread, "In Loving Memory"

Where was on the Buses TV & Film shows filmed, was it in North London?

Filmed around Elstree and Borehamwood with the depot being the old Eastern National depot at Wood Green.

richw

Veteran Member
In honour I watched a few episodes of "on the buses" last night. Probably some of the funniest programs ive seen in recent times. Modern "comedies" don't come close.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One of the funniest scenes in my opinion is the one where Blake brought some monkey toys to the on-site nursery.

On the Buses is one of the only two programmes that I have bought all the DVDs for.

Attachments

• BlakewithMonkey.jpg
    BlakewithMonkey.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 26

richw

Veteran Member
ITV started showing it again tonight after about a 1-2 month break. I've just noticed it on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.