• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT announce strike dates across range of TOCs and Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ah-media

Whilst the RMT may not care (and almost certainly don't) about "The Man on the Clapham Omnibus" - feelings do run high and this could lead to more anti-social behaviour against rail staff when they need it the least. There were unpleasant scenes in the capital with the Tube Strike and it is likely to get worse. This is going to be a PR disaster that the RMT may struggle to justify when they are hauled onto Radio 4 or LBC to explain their actions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silver Cobra

Should we expect that this is pretty much going to happen every week on these days for the foreseeable future? I know it's going to take a miracle for some kind of agreement/deal to come about that satisfies the unions, but as someone who depends on the railways in order to get to work, I absolutely dread the idea of this happening week in and week out for months on end, and desperately hope a positive resolution does come about sooner rather than later.

bobblebob

I'm not sure that there isn't any public goodwill. On other social media sites I have seen plenty of non railway staff commenting that good on the unions and staff. Also enough of the public were appalled at what happened with the airlines, British gas and p&o. I'm not necessarily saying they would have massive support , but it won't be zero. Not forgetting that apparently the railways are not used by 90 odd percent of the population and are irrelevant, or so we keep getting told.
They have passengers over a barrel. People need to use the trains to get to work/holidays. Just like planes. If they mess you about you cant boycott them, you still pay to use the service as thats the only way to travel

baz962

Established Member
They have passengers over a barrel. People need to use the trains to get to work/holidays. Just like planes. If they mess you about you cant boycott them, you still pay to use the service as thats the only way to travel
I'm sure you can drive , taxi , bus .

Facing Back

I'm not sure that there isn't any public goodwill. On other social media sites I have seen plenty of non railway staff commenting that good on the unions and staff. Also enough of the public were appalled at what happened with the airlines, British gas and p&o. I'm not necessarily saying they would have massive support , but it won't be zero. Not forgetting that apparently the railways are not used by 90 odd percent of the population and are irrelevant, or so we keep getting told.
The cynic in me wonders if the members of the public who will support the strikes and the RMT are likely to mostly not vote conservative and therefore how much will the government care?

I have no evidence or statistics for this - its just a thought.

bobblebob

Depends where you go. I travel to Heathrow from Yorkshire a fair bit, i arent getting a bus that takes 4.5hrs if i can help it. Same if im going to America for example, your only option is a plane so not matter how much they mess you about, you have to pay for them

xerosis

baz962 said:

There are many (including myself) who travel a long distance using a combination of tube and train. I am seriously looking at sleeping at work if I want to get in on time. (I have a job that I can't just be late for).

Facing Back

Depends where you go. I travel to Heathrow from Yorkshire a fair bit, i arent getting a bus that takes 4.5hrs if i can help it. Same if im going to America for example, your only option is a plane so not matter how much they mess you about, you have to pay for them
There are still some flights from regional airports including Leeds to Heathrow - although I imagine that these will be booked very quickly now

andystock22

Most office workers in Central London will just work form home for the strike week.

Going to be loads of empty desks in civil service offices during this week!

baz962

Established Member

Do you have to go to America though or is that a choice and the strike wouldn't last forever.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The cynic in me wonders if the members of the public who will support the strikes and the RMT are likely to mostly not vote conservative and therefore how much will the government care?

I have no evidence or statistics for this - its just a thought.
Well, yes. I doubt very much any supporters of the strikes or the RMT will also be Conservative supporters - especially of this current government.

andystock22

This is going to have one huge impact on passenger numbers, especially with a tube strike in London as well on the Tuesday.

I can many TOCs advising people to work from home if they can on strike days.

GB

Established Member
Could you explain why you think this please?

Overtime is there because services need running and there isn't enough rostered staff to cover. If the TOCs say no more RDW then those services will ultimately end up cancelled. When you have staff willing to cover but you say no and end up with cancellations that is not going to look good for the TOC on twitter or the media.

Facing Back

Well, yes. I doubt very much any supporters of the strikes or the RMT will also be Conservative supporters - especially of this current government.
I think recent evidence suggests that many conservatives don't really support elements of this current government

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Many people can't drive (some people for medical reasons), a taxi is only really an option for short distances for 90% of people due to cost, and fat chance getting a bus long distance too (if you are lucky your journey may be a on a coach route, but don't bank on it, a lot of places well connected by rail are terribly connected by other means of public transport!).
I actually support the strikes (even if it will massively inconvenience my plans) but to pretend passengers have other alternatives is pretty poor form!

gazzaa2

I'm not sure that there isn't any public goodwill. On other social media sites I have seen plenty of non railway staff commenting that good on the unions and staff. Also enough of the public were appalled at what happened with the a't airlines, British gas and p&o. I'm not necessarily saying they would have massive support , but it won't be zero. Not forgetting that apparently the railways are not used by 90 odd percent of the population and are irrelevant, or so we keep getting told.

Obviously a lot of people can't work from home but a high percentage of workers now can either work from home, or drive if they need to.

As a percentage it won't massively affect a high percentage of people. Unless freight is massively affected then it's not like the country is brought to a standstill, people will just get on with it, with whatever services are running.

Fokx

Will this make the Tories bring in legislation to deem ALL railway workers essential workers and remove the right to strike ? (such as for Police/Prison Officers)
Would be quite the statement to make railway employees essential workers, removing the right to strike but then also trying to implement DOO and close ticket offices

Quite contradictory

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Overtime is there because services need running and there isn't enough rostered staff to cover. If the TOCs say no more RDW then those services will ultimately end up cancelled. When you have staff willing to cover but you say no and end up with cancellations that is not going to look good for the TOC on twitter or the media.

but it’s already happening at TPE, Northern, Cross Country, and other TOCs.

baz962

Established Member
Many people can't drive (some people for medical reasons), a taxi is only really an option for short distances for 90% of people due to cost, and fat chance getting a bus long distance too (if you are lucky your journey may be a on a coach route, but don't bank on it!).
I actually support the strikes (even if it will massively inconvenience my plans) but to pretend passengers have other alternatives is pretty poor form!
Of course not all passengers. But I was responding more to the poster regarding holidays. Those are a choice and not a necessity and I'm sure most people could find somewhere to holiday, quite near to home. I usually do.

james4578

Should we expect that this is pretty much going to happen every week on these days for the foreseeable future? I know it's going to take a miracle for some kind of agreement/deal to come about that satisfies the unions, but as someone who depends on the railways in order to get to work, I absolutely dread the idea of this happening week in and week out for months on end, and desperately hope a positive resolution does come about sooner rather than later.
Asked the same question earlier, possibly same days but cannot be sure of that. I hope it does not drag on too long but unlikely to be a resolution any time soon, do not totally rely on rail for work though.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Aslef have RDW agreements with TOC's. The RMT lets their members decide if they want to do RDW or not (unless part of industrial action)

bobblebob

Is the tube and the new Elizabeth line effected by the National Rail strike action on the 23rd and 25th? Or dont National Rail run that network

HuggyB87

What does this mean for Merseyrail? I understand the TOC staff themselves are unaffected, however, their signalling systems are NetRail controlled - are those staff walking out also, effectively, shutting down the entire network.

Status
Not open for further replies.