• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT announce strike dates across range of TOCs and Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surprised they haven't gone for 1200-1159 strikes to cause more disruption for less loss of pay.

I think going every other day as they have will cause things to be heavily disrupted on the days in between due to stock being out of place etc, so I think they have actually been quite clever.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Will be interesting to see what runs since traffic that makes up day turn services have to run outside those hours.
All down to how you can man boxes and how many trains will be acceptable as "safe" to run.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Three days of strikes targeting three of the busiest days of the week and causing severe disruption on the days in between. From the point of view of causing maximum disruption while minimising loss in pay it appears logical.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Three days of strikes targeting three of the busiest days of the week and causing severe disruption on the days in between. From the point of view of causing maximum disruption while minimising loss in pay it appears logical.

One assumes that all Sunday volunteering will also be withdrawn.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Well that's ridiculous for a bl**dy start! Surely the most basic level of common sense would suggest TOCs and NR out on different days...

In what sense? To maximise impact and media coverage, perhaps doing it nationwide might be more effective. Although different TOCs doing different days might make a more widespread impact, it might not be as concentrated.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Don't expect any traffic outside of 0700-1900.
Yes but major routes are likely to be open during the daytime. Talk of food shortages or a complete block on freight is very unlikely.

Obviously some freight services will not run, be rescheduled, or run on a different day. A handful may be transferred to lorries.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes but major routes are likely to be open during the daytime. Talk of food shortages or a complete block on freight is very unlikely.
Don't disagree, freight will trump all passenger paths during strikes.

AntoniC

Will this make the Tories bring in legislation to deem ALL railway workers essential workers and remove the right to strike ? (such as for Police/Prison Officers)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
One assumes that all Sunday volunteering will also be withdrawn.
It is a mixed issue - on the one hand, the companies don't want staff to be able to make up lost earnings by being able to use rest day working, prolonging the strike. On the other, they probably want a service to run to bring in revenue.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is a mixed issue - on the one hand, the companies don't want staff to be able to make up lost earnings by being able to use rest day working, prolonging the strike. On the other, they probably want a service to run to bring in revenue.

I meant more that the staff wouldn't volunteer, but maybe they would to make up lost money.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Will this make the Tories bring in legislation to deem ALL railway workers essential workers and remove the right to strike ? (such as for Police/Prison Officers)
I would think other jobs would be more likely to be hit with a strike ban than railway workers.

Jan Mayen

I was under the impression that they only needed to give one weeks notice, not two. Have the rules changed?

A Challenge

Established Member
I would think other jobs would be more likely to be hit with a strike ban than railway workers.
I'm interested in where else you think would be going to get a ban, given the government don't seem to care about students and UCU strikes are the only other set of strikes that I've seen in the news recently? The government aren't going to ban strikes somewhere there hasn't been any recently.

Undiscovered

I was under the impression that they only needed to give one weeks notice, not two. Have the rules changed?
Gives a chance to call them off.
Obviously, you have to get around a table first to meet and agree a timeframe for discussions, then adjourn and postpone the strikes.

Howardh

Established Member
I'm surprised they haven't done mid-day to mid-day, causing even more disruption.
No doubt there will be early morning and late night cancellations either side of those dates, example I wouldn't now expect the 2317 Blackpool North > Manchester to run as it would encroach on a strike day, and there will be plenty of late evening trains covering some distance (so starting mid-evening) that end after midnight cancelled too, or cut short?

scrapy

Established Member
Agree.

A flagging PM looking for a something to raise his popularity……this could be just the ticket……
Whilst most people on here either work on, use, or have an interest in the railway, a rail strike is irrelevant to the majority of the population, especially outside London. Food/power shortages as a result of the strike would be relevant but are unlikely and contingencies do exist.

What would not be good for the PM is if other public sector workers that have been hit by pay freezes and below inflation such as teachers, nurses, fire fighters and council workers think now is the the time to take action as well.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The TOCs don't rely on revenue. It all goes to the Treasury.

Status
Not open for further replies.