• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT announce strike dates across range of TOCs and Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomp94

It's a shame people inherently only see the here and now and what affects them, and not the bigger picture. I fully understand cost of living is up, but I ask what will happen if RMT win a large pay rise for it's workers? Every other union will want the same, leading to everyone having more money to spend. This in turn will lead to companies charging more for everything, and even more inflation. Your pay rise will be eaten up and then some. Then what? This is political, in the middle of an election cycle. Nothing more, nothing less. My flame retardant suit is already on.
No one should accept real term pay cuts year after year, meaning facing a steady decline in standards of living.
It is not a race to the bottom, although the 'Conservative' government thinks it is, and would quite happily have most in the public sector on £9.50 per hour if it thought it could get away with it.
Everyone should go on strike if that is what it takes to get at least an inflation matching pay rise. Unless you are happy with real term pay cuts, followed by a tiny rise, followed by a real term pay cut etc etc.

The inflation we're enduring isn't being caused by people spending too much money. It is a combination of the regime printing too much money as a result of crisis that it has caused fully or partially, and supply chain issues caused by lockdowns in response to covid.

However, I also realise the people at the top of the union chains do not have its members interest at heart, rather, using them to beat the government with. It's a no win situation for someone like me who sympathises with the RMT members who are striking, not just for improved pay, but to save jobs too. But then see the chaps at the top of the union trees earning hundreds of thousands of pounds per year, who despise the 'Conservative' government, and will do just about anything to bring it down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
The 2 parliamentary by-elections are on Thursday 23rd June which is one of the strike days.

A0wen

On Moderation
It's a shame people inherently only see the here and now and what affects them, and not the bigger picture. I fully understand cost of living is up, but I ask what will happen if RMT win a large pay rise for it's workers? Every other union will want the same, leading to everyone having more money to spend. This in turn will lead to companies charging more for everything, and even more inflation. Your pay rise will be eaten up and then some. Then what? This is political, in the middle of an election cycle. Nothing more, nothing less. My flame retardant suit is already on.

I think you're spot on. The RMT have been waiting a long time to get a national strike and now they have the opportunity. The question is how the public react - if they just shrug their shoulders and go "meh!", then the RMT can keep trying strike action and the only damage they will be doing is to themselves.

The Covid pandemic has had the huge benefit that many people are now capable of and set up to work from home. Whereas 20 years ago such action would have caused chaos with everybody piling onto the roads / buses / coaches, that won't be the case now.

Silver Cobra

the strikes don’t cover the period of Wimbledon.

As it stands right now nothing beyond 25th June has been announced, but I imagine Smidster may feel the same way as I do, that this could potentially be industrial action that goes on every week following this first set of strikes until one side or the other eventually caves in (which would probably takes months before one side does). For me this fear comes from looking at past industrial action such as the Southern DOO dispute, where there was pretty much some form of action happening every week for the best part of a year.

pemma

Veteran Member
No one should accept real term pay cuts year after year, meaning facing a steady decline in standards of living.

Agreed. However, has your pay fallen in real terms since you joined the railways? Those who have been there for a long time had many years of inflation busting pay rises, which the unions said were justified due to TOCs or their parents making huge profits. Now the profits have dropped, the unions want pay rises based solely on inflation, not profits.

Facing Back

1. how long do you genuinely believe the Gov will hold out for before public pressure and pressure from business will be too much ? How much is the city prepared to lose before a few phone calls are made to Number 11

2. I could do with the redundancy money. I'm broke from having no pay rise for the past couple of years and now being offered nothing.

3. I'm not affected by service cuts. Thats the passengers problem, not mine. I have a sports car.
I really don't believe the City could care less. Large institutions will make money in falling as well as rising markets. Certain asset classes will devalue and some will prosper. Some people will be inconvenienced but its swings and roundabouts.

At the moment there are bigger fish to fry with the war and all of its consequential financial impacts, many of which haven't been realised yet. Reinsurance is going mad, commodity traders are sleeping in the office, shipping brokers are renegotiating contracts for all they are worth, people who didn't hedge properly against oil prices are crying themselves to sleep yet the vast majority is business as usual.

I haven't had a pay rise in a couple of years either, but I won't be a passenger on a train for a while I think

Towers

Established Member
You make some very astute observations...
However, I also realise the people at the top of the union chains do not have its members interest at heart, rather, using them to beat the government with. It's a no win situation for someone like me who sympathises with the RMT members who are striking, not just for improved pay, but to save jobs too. But then see the chaps at the top of the union trees earning hundreds of thousands of pounds per year, who despise the 'Conservative' government, and will do just about anything to bring it down.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The Covid pandemic has had the huge benefit that many people are now capable of and set up to work from home. Whereas 20 years ago such action would have caused chaos with everybody piling onto the roads / buses / coaches, that won't be the case now.

Thank God !

I guess that Lockdown had a huge benefit after all and has pushed people into better working practices and is reducing the pressure on public transport.

Will Uber prices be the same or will they introduce surge prices for the strike days ? It should be pretty easy to get a taxi if nobody is piling onto the roads.

pemma

Veteran Member
The 2 parliamentary by-elections are on Thursday 23rd June which is one of the strike days.

Good job people don't need the railways to get to polling stations. ;)

The Tories have been tipped to lose Wakefield to Labour for weeks, while the Lib Dems are the main challenger for the other seat. So I don't think the RMT action will affect voting in any way.

A0wen

On Moderation
1. how long do you genuinely believe the Gov will hold out for before public pressure and pressure from business will be too much ? How much is the city prepared to lose before a few phone calls are made to Number 11

Alot longer than any previous rail strike.

The pandemic changed alot of things, one of which was the technology people are issued with. So where 20 years ago, most office based people had fixed desks with desktop PCs, the pandemic lead to a wholesale change where people are now issued laptops with VPN connections - quite simply a huge number will just WFH on the strike days and now have the capability to do so. So where 20 years ago many businesses would have been banging on the government's door demanding they resolve it, this time I'd expect very few to be doing so.

GB

Established Member
As it stands right now nothing beyond 25th June has been announced, but I imagine Smidster may feel the same way as I do, that this could potentially be industrial action that goes on every week following this first set of strikes until one side or the other eventually caves in (which would probably takes months before one side does). For me this fear comes from looking at past industrial action such as the Southern DOO dispute, where there was pretty much some form of action happening every week for the best part of a year.

Surely it is best to wait for actual definitive information before getting so angry and worked up? There was a lot of anger and hostility in Smidster's post for something that may not even happen.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The pandemic changed alot of things, one of which was the technology people are issued with. So where 20 years ago, most office based people had fixed desks with desktop PCs, the pandemic lead to a wholesale change where people are now issued laptops with VPN connections - quite simply a huge number will just WFH on the strike days and now have the capability to do so. So where 20 years ago many businesses would have been banging on the government's door demanding they resolve it, this time I'd expect very few to be doing so.

Phew, I'm glad we aren't affecting too many people. Shouldn't last that long then and most of the media reports can already be considered fake news and just a small local story.

Ha Ha Ha. In Cheshire if you phone for an taxi ASAP at 7am, don't expect it to turn up before 9am!

Cheshire people use Range Rovers and Model Xs. They don't need a taxi. Besides, they will probably be working from home on their work issued Macbooks.

I have to get a local taxi, for local people :(

nedchester

Established Member
I think you're spot on. The RMT have been waiting a long time to get a national strike and now they have the opportunity. The question is how the public react - if they just shrug their shoulders and go "meh!", then the RMT can keep trying strike action and the only damage they will be doing is to themselves.

A very good point. People will just go back to WFH on strikes days but the Government will spin that key workers like nurses and other healthcare workers can't get to/from work.

A war of attrition awaits.

GuyGibsonVC

From a Network Rail point of view, today has been interesting.

On the week in question, if you were nightshift on say 2200 - 0600, you would be in on Monday, on strike Tuesday, in on Wednesday, out on Thursday and out on Saturday as if you book on before the action you work your shift. Some of the more robust rostering will have people in at 0001, which is to get around fatigue rules, but will be an advantage in this situation.

Big works are at risk as, although contractors can be used if they have carried out the duties before, if you don't have signallers, ECRO etc. then you won't have possessions, line blockages etc.

TSSA have gave the 7 days legal notice to the company as they are now balloting for action, so management may be out soon too. In my view, at Network Rail, management should work to rule and do the stated 35 hour week and no more. No more unpaid overtime, excessive hours, unpaid weekends and calls throughout the night. Safety, Compliance, Planning, Engineering and Support run on a frightening amount of good will and without that the job would soon grind to a halt.

Freemo

High Speed One is unlikely to be closed completely, so yes although there are some cancellations possible there will probably still be a service.
Assuming I make it back from France on an Interrail pass and need to get a ticket written out at St Pancras for onward travel the following day, is the ticket office likely to be closed too?

WrongRoad

Well I am absolutely livid and am going to have to try really hard to keep myself together...

I don't think you appreciate the damage and distress (mentally , physically and financially) that you cause to people but I guess as long as they get an extra piece of silver it is worth it.

I will now have to back out of the one thing I enjoy each year (Wimbledon) because of this action

Absolutely pathetic
Watch it on TV and buy some strawberries from the supermarket. 1st world problems some people have!!!

D1537

A significant number of Glastonbury attendees arrive on the Wednesday (the first musical acts on the smaller stages are from Thursday lunchtime). I expect that even more will now if they are considering travelling by train.

TrainGeekUK

Even this magnitude of strike action on the rails never happened under Mrs Thatcher IIRC, despite her unpopularity.

bobblebob

Alot longer than any previous rail strike.

Doesnt really play into the Governments narrative of wanting people back in the office by indirectly claiming they're lazy when WFH. No trains, or threats of strikes every few weeks wont encourage people to come back into the office

pemma

Veteran Member
Cheshire people use Range Rovers and Model Xs. They don't need a taxi. Besides, they will probably be working from home on their work issued Macbooks.

I have to get a local taxi, for local people :(

Nice of you to stereotype people in Cheshire. Have you heard of the overflow social housing estates that are dotted around the county, where people on long waiting lists in Manchester and Liverpool get housed? Or have you heard of Ellesmere Port, Cheshire's version of Barrow in Furness?

It's also a good job people don't use Northern trains to reach the Morrisons regional distribution centre in Northwich, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'd like a Mac book to work from but my employer (based in London) make me settle with a computer from hell, sorry Dell. (Yep one of the effects of remote working is I have to attend occasional face-to-face meetings in a different part of the country.)

A0wen

On Moderation
A very good point. People will just go back to WFH on strikes days but the Government will spin that key workers like nurses and other healthcare workers can't get to/from work.

A war of attrition awaits.

Which may be the case in a couple of big cities, but not in most provincial towns.

102 fan

That's my weekend away to get to a show on the Saturday affected. I was flying over, accommodation was booked. I could change bookings, but I'll be even more out of pocket.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Ultimately all TSSA going out on strike would achieve is handing the Government the (perceived) opportunity to break the power of two unions rather than just one.

A0wen

On Moderation
Doesnt really play into the Governments narrative of wanting people back in the office by indirectly claiming they're lazy when WFH. No trains, or threats of strikes every few weeks wont encourage people to come back into the office

I'm not sure there is that much of a narrative to that. There are legitimate questions being asked about the productivity levels in some state enterprises - notably the civil service and DVLA, which haven't exactly covered themselves in glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.