• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Russia invades Ukraine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GS250

More than likely, I'd say. He was already in prison for a lengthy spell for something relating to drugs, so I suspect that the Russians had no problem sending him to the front line.

Yes...I suspect those ordinary law abiding citizens of Russia are wondering why he wasn't immediately deported in the first place.

DustyBin

Established Member
Presumably in response to the defeat in Kherson, Russia has heroically attacked civilian targets across Ukraine. Yet more pointless destruction.

Russel

Presumably in response to the defeat in Kherson, Russia has heroically attacked civilian targets across Ukraine. Yet more pointless destruction.

It really makes no sense, if Russia was serious about winning this war, why waste missiles on civilian apartment blocks rather than Ukrainian military targets?

Is it simply Putin throwing his toys out of the pram?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It really makes no sense, if Russia was serious about winning this war, why waste missiles on civilian apartment blocks rather than Ukrainian military targets?

It's in essence a kind of propaganda war - wear the Ukrainian people down so much they pressure the army to surrender.

DustyBin

Established Member

It's in essence a kind of propaganda war - wear the Ukrainian people down so much they pressure the army to surrender.

A bit of both I think.

najaB

Veteran Member
Thing is, that's not going to work - if anything it will strengthen their resolve to continue the fight to the end. Anything else means that it will all happen again and again.

DC1989

Perhaps but there may be some in Ukraine who start to think - just give them the land they've taken so far and end the war. Some in the relatively safety of Lviv may not particular care about trying to get Donetsk back (complete conjecture on my side)

Broucek

Perhaps but there may be some in Ukraine who start to think - just give them the land they've taken so far and end the war. Some in the relatively safety of Lviv may not particular care about trying to get Donetsk back (complete conjecture on my side)
Yeah, if Norway captured Humberside, I'd be happy to let them keep it as long as there were no bombs in North London (sarcasm)

najaB

Veteran Member
If Ukraine was losing, or if the war was in an extended stalemate then maybe so. But Russia is clearly on the back foot and there's a realistic possibility that Crimea could be regained - so why give up now?

brad465

Established Member
Yeah, if Norway captured Humberside, I'd be happy to let them keep it as long as there were no bombs in North London (sarcasm)
I'm not really seeing many downsides to this.
Reminds me of a recent joke, in response to claims Ukraine will be capable of hosting Eurovision after all, that was along the lines of "Why host Eurovision in a barren, hostile city when Kyiv is available?"

Annetts key

Established Member
Maybe now is the time to announce that in response, the U.K. and France will supply Storm Shadow/SCALP EG cruise missiles to Ukraine.

And inform Russia, that if they continue to attack civilians or civilian infrastructure, further long range weapons will be supplied.

dgl

Established Member
Hit an area you are currently at war with is one thing (well "special military operation"), but all bets are off if you hot neighbouring land. Maybe Poland would do well to remind Russia that it's part of NATO and what that entails.
Though I wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine suddenly increased the quality/range of it fire power.

GS250

This is not good. Probably not too surprising if we assume it wasn’t intentional but how will Poland react to this?
Maybe @Cloud Strife might have an opinion?

If not an accident then NATO would be fully within its rights to destroy the base where the missile was launched from. At the minimum......

GS250

That's it, sent NATO in! Finish them off!

We don't know yet whether it was an accident or whether it was even Russian missiles that caused the explosion. NATO would have the right to respond if proven to be so, but can it afford a potential escalating war for financial and obviously military consequences reasons?

dgl

Established Member
We don't know yet whether it was an accident or whether it was even Russian missiles that caused the explosion. NATO would have the right to respond if proven to be so, but can it afford a potential escalating war for financial and obviously military consequences reasons?
Best in a lot of ways just to give Ukraine the tools to get their payback, deliberate or not. Quiet handy in a lot of ways having Ukraine essentially doing the fight against Russia/Putin for NATO as we can say we've done nothing but be arms dealers.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
This is not good. Probably not too surprising if we assume it wasn’t intentional but how will Poland react to this?
Maybe @Cloud Strife might have an opinion?

On mobile, but the latest speculation is that it was the remains of a shot down missile. It seems plausible, as Ukraine is well known to be using the border as a kind of protective shield, knowing that Russia won't risk hitting a NATO country. If they were trying to hit something close to the UA border, then the debris could easily reach 7km across the border.

Annetts key

Established Member
Apparently the Polish government is currently holding an emergency meeting.

It’s possible after this, that Poland will ask for NATO members to debate the problem under article four.
Article 4

The Parties will consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the Parties is threatened.
link

Where this will lead to, we will have to wait to see.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
Whilst it was great news at the weekend that Russia had withdrew it's troops from Kherson, seeing Ukraine had taken back control of the city and seeing all those scenes of celebration in the city and even talk that this is the beginning of the end of the war. I myself was not feeling too optimistic about the coming weeks/months. I knew that Putin would not give up easily. And here we are tonight, with Putin ordering massive strikes across Ukraine tonight, and also a Russian cruise missile has hit POLAND. Very worrying how this could escalate now. This could be the start of Russia now also invading POLAND. This is all an absolutely bloody nightmare.

GS250

On mobile, but the latest speculation is that it was the remains of a shot down missile. It seems plausible, as Ukraine is well known to be using the border as a kind of protective shield, knowing that Russia won't risk hitting a NATO country. If they were trying to hit something close to the UA border, then the debris could easily reach 7km across the border.

Dare I say if Russia had wanted to escalate with Poland...it would have been more than a couple of rockets hitting a farm.

Darandio

Established Member
This could be the start of Russia now also invading POLAND.

No, it couldn't.

Dare I say if Russia had wanted to escalate with Poland...it would have been more than a couple of rockets hitting a farm.

It's just stray or deflected junk, Russia isn't assessing Polish farms as a legitimate target. The location is literally 500m from the border, it's clear as day.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But what if this is not the case and Putin wants to see what the response is from the West, in general, not just Poland? I suspect he thinks there'll be much sabre rattling and nothing much will change. He's absolutely banking on NATO not entering the conflict short of Russian use of a nuke, and I'm afraid I can't disagree with that assessment.

No it wouldn't, it'd be toe in the water to assess the response.

Last edited: