• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngac

Oh dear. The press reaction to what was meant to be a significant step in the introduction of these units won't be good!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
The main line is blocked in both directions by failed 385s, one at Falkirk High and one at Croy. Both door faults and over riding the safety systems to move the trains isn't working. Hitachi engineers an route to both trains.
Some facts.. by the time you posted the above at 1100 both trains had already been moved two hours previously. Hitachi offered technical advice by phone but did not have attend either train. Both trains were moved after the TIS and EBS were isolated exactly as per any other unit with an interlock fault. Unfortunate to have two trains of the same class developing similar faults around the same time, yes, but hardly unprecedented and not an indication that the sky is about to fall in.

Sickandtired

Some facts.. by the time you posted the above at 1100 both trains had already been moved two hours previously. Hitachi offered technical advice by phone but did not have attend either train. Both trains were moved after the TIS and EBS were isolated exactly as per any other unit with an interlock fault. Unfortunate to have two trains of the same class developing similar faults around the same time, yes, but hardly unprecedented and not an indication that the sky is about to fall in.
Hmmm. Sorry but this all has the feel of too unlucky to be so unlucky. An airline or a shipping company would not get away with this level of reliability of their kit.

Mingulay

Hmmm. Sorry but this all has the feel of too unlucky to be so unlucky. An airline or a shipping company would not get away with this level of reliability of their kit.

Lets hope my prediction posted last week is not coming true!

"Let’s not rule out that the 385 Fleet may we’ll have a few tricks up their sleeves yet by way off glitches or as yet unforeseen failures that could ground them. Add that to the mix of the current HST issue and diesels going off lease. Perhaps the happy train will be the flagship electric ! "

sannox

I think there is a difference between teething troubles and general unreliability. We've nothing to compare to the Cl334 introduction really.

youngac

Today's hiccups can't have resulted in the withdrawal of the units. I heard the distinct sound of a 385 leaving Queen Street at 15:00.

InOban

Established Member
Were the affected sets the ones which went into public service today?
Since the window design issue, and the braking control problem (sorted in 48hrs) I haven't heard complaints abiut reliability. Am . I right?

Stopper

I think having the brakes problem followed by 2 failures today with the 385s all since their introduction around summer time can be classed as being unreliable so far. That’s not nit-picking that’s just the truth.

It’s a shame as the units have grown on me, much prefer them to a 365 and probably prefer them to a 380 too.

Journeyman

Established Member
It’s a shame as the units have grown on me, much prefer them to a 365 and probably prefer them to a 380 too.

Jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. They're a bit underwhelming, really. I think I prefer the 365s. These sorts of failures are making me nervous - another fleet-wide withdrawal will make for multiple short-forms and some uncomfortable commuting.

snookertam

Jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. They're a bit underwhelming, really. I think I prefer the 365s. These sorts of failures are making me nervous - another fleet-wide withdrawal will make for multiple short-forms and some uncomfortable commuting.

A couple of door faults are unlikely to lead to another fleet withdrawal.

InOban

Established Member
Is this the set which should have been delivered last week but was cancelled because of cable theft?

Journeyman

Established Member
What's happening with E&G diagrams today? I was on the 07.30 ex-Edinburgh which has consistently been a 365 for some time, but was a 380 this morning. I thought they were all meant to have gone from the E&G with the new 385s coming in, so that suggests something has failed somewhere.

SC318250

Is there any word on the 4 in Italy returning to Uk?
Will these come by ship and go to Newton A, or straight to Scotland from docks?

GrimShady

Established Member

Can't speak for the airlines but I can assure you the maritime world is much worse!

InOban

Established Member
There is another light engine on its way, so maybe three deliveries this week.

youngac

That’s 27 units now delivered with 4 weeks to go until the timetable change. ScotRail will be relieved by this.

gingertom

Established Member
That’s 27 units now delivered with 4 weeks to go until the timetable change. ScotRail will be relieved by this.
we'd hope SR have enough staff trained on these units and the units can do their fault free miles in time for the timetable change.

Geeves

Established Member
I am not fully clued up but is the Alloa line wired too? If so have any electrics made it there yet? Hell of a turn around for little old Alloa!

InOban

Established Member
Wiring to alloa was included in the current project. Currently under test, passenger services due in four weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.