• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snookertam

I don't think ScotRail themselves have decided what the 385s will end up doing but they'll probably end up scattered across a number of lines. I believe there's a plan for 6 car 385s on some Cathcart Circle services, and a decision needs to be made on what units will replace the current 2x314 worked services on the Neilston branch - probably means more class 318/320 units. Whatever plan they come up with, it probably wont be simple and will involve a fair amount of chopping and changing from the current set up.

I agree that 385s don't seem suitable for the Cathcart routes, but neither are the 380s and it hasn't stopped ScotRail moving the North Berwick diagrams onto the Neilston line. My hope had actually been that the add-on order for additional 385s could be revisited so that an inner suburban version could be created - how feasible that is I'm not sure.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I feel like the 318s/320s are perhaps more suited to Cathcart/Neilston/Newton/Paisley Canal services. They hold the same sort of configurations as they were built by the same manufacturer but are far more modern as they have just been refurbished plus they have toilets and door controls so they don’t open at every single stop. The 385s and 380s are better suited to longer routes with more capacity such as E&G, Ayrshire, Inverclyde, North Berwick etc.

I think when the 318s/320s go (probably within the next decade) Scotrail will see a huge fleet cascade. It depends whether they would keep the 334s exclusive to A-B or whether they would move them on to the Argyle/North clyde line services. Or who knows they may decide to buy in new stock for these lines. Either way I can’t see the 385s lasting on the old 314 workings

Agent_Squash

Established Member
The reliability of Siemens product doesn't match Hitachi's. Better to get more 385's a less diverse more reliable fleet imho
We are talking about the same Siemens here? With the only fleets with MTINs of greater of 100k?

InOban

Established Member
To drag this thread back on topic, the usual delivery paths have now been loaded for tomorrow.

On Moderation
In a word yes. Look at the stats worldwide, it's not close.
Look at the stats for this country, which is what is relevant. It’s not even close. Virtually every Siemens fleet is more reliable than Hitachi’s fleets. Given that Hitachi were meant to be showing us how it is done and giving us “Japanese levels of reliability”, that’s a poor effort.

anthannan

Look at the stats for this country, which is what is relevant. It’s not even close. Virtually every Siemens fleet is more reliable than Hitachi’s fleets. Given that Hitachi were meant to be showing us how it is done and giving us “Japanese levels of reliability”, that’s a poor effort.
The manufacturer stats as a whole are the most relevant imho it balances the effect of other factors not directly related to the trains themselves.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
The manufacturer stats as a whole are the most relevant imho it balances the effect of other factors not directly related to the trains themselves.
So a metro train in Japan should be thrown in the same comparison as a Class 350 operating on the WCML? They have different approaches to maintenance, different cultures. The stats of trains already operating in the UK show a more realistic picture for the operating conditions we have in the UK.

anthannan

So a metro train in Japan should be thrown in the same comparison as a Class 350 operating on the WCML? They have different approaches to maintenance, different cultures. The stats of trains already operating in the UK show a more realistic picture for the operating conditions we have in the UK.
Not just the UK and Japan, everywhere the trains operate. In any event, in the main, the Hitachi figure for the UK needs to be seen on introductory terms. We'll see how things really are in a couple of years.

On Moderation
Not just the UK and Japan, everywhere the trains operate. In any event, in the main, the Hitachi figure for the UK needs to be seen on introductory terms. We'll see how things really are in a couple of years.
The 395s are well beyond the introduction phase and are less reliable than the majority of Siemens fleets. Truth is that Hitachi are just bang average.

anthannan

The 395s are well beyond the introduction phase and are less reliable than the majority of Siemens fleets. Truth is that Hitachi are just bang average.
I'm not sure that's the case. Highest Customer Satisfaction on the network.

On Moderation
I'm not sure that's the case. Highest Customer Satisfaction on the network.
What? How does customer satisfaction come into it when we're talking about reliability?

January Modern Railways gives us the data, Hitachi sets (and re-tractions) in bold:
Class 350/3 - 138,579 MTIN
Class 350/2 - 105,155 MTIN
Class 350/1 - 85,492 MTIN
Class 360/1 - 77,644 MTIN
Class 350/4 - 50,538 MTIN
Class 450 - 42,525 MTIN
Class 395 - 41,181 MTIN
Class 444 - 35,825 MTIN
Class 465/1 - 18,592 MTIN
Class 333 - 17,362 MTIN
Class 465/0 - 16,667 MTIN

That rather supports my assertion that Hitachi are very average, and generally inferior to Siemens' products.

anthannan

What? How does customer satisfaction come into it when we're talking about reliability?

January Modern Railways gives us the data, Hitachi sets (and re-tractions) in bold:
Class 350/3 - 138,579 MTIN
Class 350/2 - 105,155 MTIN
Class 350/1 - 85,492 MTIN
Class 360/1 - 77,644 MTIN
Class 350/4 - 50,538 MTIN
Class 450 - 42,525 MTIN
Class 395 - 41,181 MTIN
Class 444 - 35,825 MTIN
Class 465/1 - 18,592 MTIN
Class 333 - 17,362 MTIN
Class 465/0 - 16,667 MTIN

That rather supports my assertion that Hitachi are very average, and generally inferior to Siemens' products.

As I've said reliability of Hitachi product is unrivaled worldwide. The Class 350 appears to cover a wide range here which would make the data questionable. If Siemens was such a superior product then surely it would have more orders and not just those based on price?

Established Member
We're way off topic guys.

The salient point is that the introduction of 385s has been a shambles and that's been 90% Hitachi's lookout.

InOban

Established Member
But now they are arriving, a few months late, they seem to be performing satisfactorily.

And compared with the sleepers, they're nearly on time.

Established Member
But now they are arriving, a few months late, they seem to be performing satisfactorily.

And compared with the sleepers, they're nearly on time.
I've been on plenty, and since upthread we're excited by Siemens, yes they're comparable with a 380. On that basis they're alright, I wouldn't give them any more than that.

Are they less late than the mk5 sleepers? Give or take a few months but there's no doubt that more people have been inconvenienced by the chaos around 385s. Noone has had to be crush loaded on CS because their new trains haven't showed up yet.

alangla

To be fair, the 380s were late into service as well, which screwed up the launch of A2B. Also the memorable incident with the roof hatch which closed the WCML for a morning. Let’s see how they settle in. Thinking about it, have any Scottish EMUs ever worked out of the box? The 303s had transformer explosions that caused them to be replaced by steam loco hauls, the 320s got blacked by the unions for being driver only & allegedly it not being possible to view Argyle line DOO equipment from them & the 334s sat at Polmadie for ages before entering service. Did the 311/314/318s work?

hwl

Established Member
As I've said reliability of Hitachi product is unrivaled worldwide. The Class 350 appears to cover a wide range here which would make the data questionable. If Siemens was such a superior product then surely it would have more orders and not just those based on price?
One of the reasons Siemens don't have more orders is because they are comparatively expensive.
Why don't you like comparable UK data rather than incomparable world wide data. The UK reliability stats have stricter definitions than most of europe for example so there is a real danger of apple and oranges being compared.

anthannan

One of the reasons Siemens don't have more orders is because they are comparatively expensive.
Why don't you like comparable UK data rather than incomparable world wide data. The UK reliability stats have stricter definitions than most of europe for example so there is a real danger of apple and oranges being compared.
It's off topic as has been said. We'll see how the Class 800 series and the 385 perform in the UK. Early indicators on the 800's are good. The class 380 had a more troubled
And Japan has very strict standards. The variability of the 350 stats in a previous post needs to be looked at imho. When you look at the bigger picture you would usually get more accurate results.

route101

Established Member
I feel like the 318s/320s are perhaps more suited to Cathcart/Neilston/Newton/Paisley Canal services. They hold the same sort of configurations as they were built by the same manufacturer but are far more modern as they have just been refurbished plus they have toilets and door controls so they don’t open at every single stop. The 385s and 380s are better suited to longer routes with more capacity such as E&G, Ayrshire, Inverclyde, North Berwick etc.

I think when the 318s/320s go (probably within the next decade) Scotrail will see a huge fleet cascade. It depends whether they would keep the 334s exclusive to A-B or whether they would move them on to the Argyle/North clyde line services. Or who knows they may decide to buy in new stock for these lines. Either way I can’t see the 385s lasting on the old 314 workings

Im surprised we dont see 318s/320s on the Paisley Canal .

Status
Not open for further replies.