• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas

They don’t fit under the OHLE. It’s only 314s and 380s that will fit with the power on
318 and 320 have both operated on the Canal line in service on the odd occasion. The only restriction being that the 318 must pass through Hawkhead station at 30mph when running as empty coaching stock as it is feared the step may strike the platform coping. It is only 314 and 380 that are diagrammed on the Canal at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

Where did you get that info from?
Was widely posted on other forums at the time the wires went live, I’ll try to find some specific quotes later. I’ve definitely not made it up! From memory it was something to do with the domed roof shape on Mk3 EMUs vs the square shape of the 314/380 under some of the very low bridges. I’ll post an update later & apologies if I’ve posted dud information, it was done in good faith

Highlandspring

Established Member
156s are not permitted beyond Corkerhill Depot Junction with the OLE energised because of the position of the GSM-R aerial on the roof, perhaps thats where the confusion has arisen?

matchmaker

Established Member
To be fair, the 380s were late into service as well, which screwed up the launch of A2B. Also the memorable incident with the roof hatch which closed the WCML for a morning. Let’s see how they settle in. Thinking about it, have any Scottish EMUs ever worked out of the box? The 303s had transformer explosions that caused them to be replaced by steam loco hauls, the 320s got blacked by the unions for being driver only & allegedly it not being possible to view Argyle line DOO equipment from them & the 334s sat at Polmadie for ages before entering service. Did the 311/314/318s work?

The 311s certainly did, being very similar to the 303s which by then had their transformer/rectifier problems well and truly ironed out.

InOban

Established Member
Another delivery path on Thursday, with a reserve on Friday. The two Japanese-built units which have been sitting at Ashford for three weeks (why?) are scheduled to move to Newton Aycliffe on Friday. Any news of the units being completed in Italy?

alangla

Training out of Glasgow Central is continuing at a fair pace. Got passed by both a 385/0 and 385/1 this morning, both on 3T trainers, one from Gourock, one from Motherwell

EMU303

The 7.55 from Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ) was cancelled this morning due to a train fault according to SR online app. I ended up driving to Edinburgh as the next one in 30 mins or so would have resulted in a missed appointment. Was this another 385 failure? Suprised to see the return from Waverley at 9am was also cancelled for the same reason. I know nothing about railway logistics but thought that a replacement could have been found in time for the 9am?

Last edited by a moderator:

Highlandspring

Established Member
The 7.55 from GLQ was cancelled this morning due to a train fault according to SR online app. I ended up driving to Edinburgh as the next one in 30 mins or so would have resulted in a missed appointment. Was this another 385 failure?
385015 unable to raise pantograph at Eastfield.

InOban

Established Member
Another failure implies that there have been lots. I know there was an issue with door opening on curved platforms before Christmas, but I haven't been hearing of any recently. Am I right?

BTW how long does it take to bring a new delivery into service? I know they don't have to complete very many faultfree miles, is it 250?

I assume that the priority is to eliminate DMUs from SDA services, to strengthen Fife services, then to allow the return of the remaining 380s to GLC services, then stock for Shotts, then eliminate the (much more unreliable, from posts here) 365s.

Are there more DMUs go off lease?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 7.55 from GLC was cancelled this morning due to a train fault according to SR online app. I ended up driving to Edinburgh as the next one in 30 mins or so would have resulted in a missed appointment. Was this another 385 failure? Suprised to see the return from Waverley at 9am was also cancelled for the same reason. I know nothing about railway logistics but thought that a replacement could have been found in time for the 9am?

The unit and traincrew would have been back in Glasgow. There are no spare units and train crews lying around to cover many eventualities

kidman123

Hi there first time reply something I am wondering about the sr 385's can they be coupled with the sr 380's. And I've not seen a 365 for a while have they been returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.